Jump to content
InsaneMultitasker

Heatwave BBS Online

Recommended Posts

I swapped out the Geneve that has been running the BBS nonstop since last year so that I could complete the updates/repair work.

 

The repaired clock-challenged Geneve is now in operation and has been online for 5+ hours. I'll keep an eye on it through the weekend but if the BBS seems to be down for 12 or more hours, drop a note in the forum or PM me. I find the BBS to be a good acid test as it exercises VDP memory and CPU ram, since both are needed to run in an XB/Assembly hybrid environment, and it also flips between TI and 9640 mode to use the master dsr xops for IO magic.

 

Longer term I will install switching regulators and rebuild this Geneve from the 'ground up' to mirror my trusty development card. :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometime earlier today Heatwave locked up while creating a new user. I was able to reproduce the problem with certain files and the cause seems to be the hard drive fractured-file bug that I haven't been able to pin down in the OS.

 

Unfortunately, the problem does not manifest immediately so I need to inspect all system files and check for integrity. I'm then going to experiment with changing how the BBS system log functions to minimize the chances of the files fracturing. (Instead of one file that grows for all eternity, I'll try leveraging the month to create a monthly log. )

 

I hope to bring HW back online later today. I might create a simple 'gone fishing' program to throw online in the meantime.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it wasn't the log file that took the hit this time. The user database file fractured beyond one FDR sector and that's all she wrote (quite literally).

 

Digging into the file structure I found three BBS files fracturing at different rates, all racing toward destruction. Earlier this year I had copied the log file to its own folder to minimize the chances of corruption, not thinking through the situation nor recognizing my "solution" was only temporary. Duh.

 

So far I have manually reconstructed the file descriptor record by walking through the drive sector by sector. I'm in the process of copying files to a new platter and from there I'll inspect the user data. When the new user was added, it didn't finish the operation which may or may not require additional repair.

 

The silver lining is that I wanted to create a new platter/image for the BBS anyway. Hah.

 

Update: the user database required a lot more work than anticipated. All users with exception of the last new user have been recovered. I've taken the liberty of writing extra blank records in the critical files to stave off any fracturing for the foreseeable future. I decided to disable the file transfers for the time being so that I can more easily monitor what is happening with the system. I reworked a number of system folders to better segregate programs, menus, and essential files.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...