IGNORED

Flashback Portable: Needed Controller Hacks

doctorclu

Hmm...missile collision with ball (unused), and Otto (normally invincible) taken out? Try this:

Probably started dozens of games and was able to fire right off the bat.

The extra life jingle is all wonky though. Other than that I saw I perfectly playable game.

(Well, there are lines to the side of the screen before you start, that is the only other thing I saw.)

• Like 1

BTW, got the Harmony encore mainly because I wanted to try out the DK VCS (and was not disappointed.) Also all we've done on the AFP got me all fired up about the VCS again.

Star Raiders without the keyboard controller was AWESOME. :D Same for Indy and Spy Hunter.

Oh, looks like I will need to find some sort of PAL hack for the demos. Blah. AFP spoiled me there.

• Like 1

So what's this invisible wall thing?

When starting a new game in Berzerk, you are not able to shoot right away because there is a "dead zone" affecting your ability to shoot. I've discovered you can get your guy to shoot if you move around a little and then start shooting. But at the initial position starting on level 1, there is a problem with firing bullets, hence the "invisible wall" tag people are putting on it.

• Like 1

When starting a new game in Berzerk, you are not able to shoot right away because there is a "dead zone" affecting your ability to shoot. I've discovered you can get your guy to shoot if you move around a little and then start shooting. But at the initial position starting on level 1, there is a problem with firing bullets, hence the "invisible wall" tag people are putting on it.

Ahh ok. Why not call it a "no fire zone" or something. "Invisible wall" was a bit confusing. (Not saying you called it that but however started that)

Edited by doctorclu

I don't know about any "invisible wall", I always found that being able to shoot would come and go, no matter where you were on the screen, although it did depend on the direction you were firing.

Patched version seems to be working fine, though =) Tested in easy mode for a while yesterday, I never realized that the 2600 version just keeps cycling the same four rooms.

• Like 1

Would you mind making those changes to your 2-player hack?

Turns out that the ball collision check was not the problem...just Otto. So take out the BVS following the CXM0P check to get rid of the barrier. Just the "rebound Otto" game selections are broken - which is not a big deal IMO (what's the point of having Otto appear if he is shootable??).

Needs some tweaking still. But here ya go. Both players use the same control. Difficulty switch settings are still separate.

Berzerk2player(portable).bin

• Like 3

Just picked up one of these things as I strolled through Target. Now I can see what this looked like. Found out that Raiders might have a serious bug, tho (I fell into VoP when switching the key inside the map room - the sun was fully shown at the time).

:) So cool isn't it? I did the exact opposite, picked up a Harmony Cart. So I can see what awesome homebrews are out there, and all the Donkey Kong ports (like DK VCS) that don't work on the AFP.

But other than that, quite a few homebrews work, and many classic titles. And, as I would find out with my Harmony when I tried to run demos on my NTSC Atari 2600 jr, the AFP is basically a PAL system.

Bumper Bash: Original had a couple of alignment issues, fixed 'em both. Uses left for left flipper, trigger for right, color to launch the ball. Lotta space left over, so I added a game over caption (tho there is a small line under th score...don't know where that is coming from).

EDIT: Center digit spilled over to the next scanline, fixed. Also is reset to 1 when starting a new game.

Bumperbash(portable).bin

Edited by Nukey Shay
  • Like 3

Bumper Bash: Original had a couple of alignment issues, fixed 'em both. Uses left for left flipper, trigger for right, color to launch the ball. Lotta space left over, so I added a game over caption (tho there is a small line under th score...don't know where that is coming from).

EDIT: Center digit spilled over to the next scanline, fixed. Also is reset to 1 when starting a new game.

Love Bumper Bash. -Thanks!

• Like 1

Can see why you worked on Towering Inferno, fun game! :D

On BumperBash is there a way to adjust the power of the release of the ball like on most pinball machines? I like how the mono button is used to release the ball.

Wizard Of Wor:

Both players use the same control...so watch yer back if you begin a 2p game.

Left score was misaligned on the portable...this is fixed here (but will be wrong if you played it on something else!).

Found that the portable is really sensitive to the timing of PF stores...those appear to take effect earlier than they should when rewriting mid-scanline. That is how the scanner gets those glitchy lines. Fixed by pushing PF2's to cycle 48 and CTRLPF's to the next lines.

Wizardofwor(portable).bin

• Like 4