IGNORED

Flashback Portable: Needed Controller Hacks

doctorclu

• 1 year later...

There is a tribute to Nukey Shay, who has sadly recently passed, which will be done by the Zero Page Homebrew folk on September 28th.

More info about it here...

Let them know in that thread which games and ports Nukey Shay did that you liked.   I said the Star Raiders hack, but there were so many.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2016 at 1:15 PM, Nukey Shay said:

They work with 4k because that is the most ROM memory that the console is able to work with (due to the 13-bit address line of the 6507). So you need to split larger games into separate chunks and do them individually.

On 12/8/2016 at 10:43 AM, SpiceWare said:

You have to split the Star Raiders ROM into the separate 4K banks, then run each bank thru Distella. However, the jumps between banks means distella can't follow the program flow, so it won't be able to easily differentiate between code and data. Nukey Shay goes into detail on how he handles that in this topic:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/101792-how-do-i-disassemble-8kb-atari-2600-games

Amazing how it takes me a while to have things click.   At the moment I am working with 4K games for the Virtual VCS on the Atari Jaguar and only 4K or less works.  But there is one 8K game I want to play with.

Someone asked for a one controller hack for Raiders of the Lost Ark.   While I was here I updated the front page of this thread with new entries people have made in the last few years.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2022 at 1:29 PM, doctorclu said:

But there is one 8K game I want to play with.

Stella's disassembly feature has seen numerous updates and can now disassembly some of the larger games. To use it:

1. Load the game into Stella
  2. Play it - do as many different things you can in the game, the more the better.
  3. hit ` to enter the debugger
  4. type savedis at the prompt

I did a very quick game of RotLA, basically moved down until I got to the screen shown in the debugger below, and Stella created this disassembly:

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1982) (Atari).asm

Which I then used to build this working ROM:

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1982) (Atari).bin

image.thumb.png.8480f909cbac78b13f9c148c4748989f.png

NOTE: You'll get a much better disassembly if you spend significantly more time on step 2 than I did - the more of the game you play the easier it is for Stella to determine if each byte of the ROM is code or data, and if data what type of data it is.

The top of the disassembly has a legend to show what Stella knows about each byte in the ROM:

; Legend: *  = CODE not yet run (tentative code)
;         D  = DATA directive (referenced in some way)
;         G  = GFX directive, shown as '#' (stored in player, missile, ball)
;         P  = PGFX directive, shown as '*' (stored in playfield)
;         C  = COL directive, shown as color constants (stored in player color)
;         CP = PCOL directive, shown as color constants (stored in playfield color)
;         CB = BCOL directive, shown as color constants (stored in background color)
;         A  = AUD directive (stored in audio registers)
;         i  = indexed accessed only
;         c  = used by code executed in RAM
;         s  = used by stack
;         !  = page crossed, 1 cycle penalty

In the image below:

• left-upper panel is code that Stella actually ran
  • left-lower panel is a section that Stella thinks is code, but has not yet run to confirm it. This is denoted by the * in the comment
  • right-upper panel is data used for player Graphics, denoted by the (G)
  • right-middle panel is data used for Playfield graphics, denoted by the (P)
  • right-lower panel is as data that has been used as data (D) and what Stella thinks is data but has not yet been used (*)

image.thumb.png.109fa9422f889a23ebfada05a46b87ed.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/7/2022 at 2:02 PM, SpiceWare said:

Stella's disassembly feature has seen numerous updates and can now disassembly some of the larger games. ....

Which I then used to build this is the working ROM:

Hi SpiceWare, that is amazing news and I think I'll give this a go.  (Try on the Mac Stella version)

The one question I have is where you able to use Stella to assemble the disassembly as well from what you created, or was another program used?   I did the disassembly/assembly of a 4K game probably three years ago, so really rusty. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 1/13/2017 at 11:34 AM, Nukey Shay said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark: The left stick only uses 3 actions, so I used select and reset to move the marker and the color switch to drop. To reset a new game when one is in progress, you can use the right difficulty for now (it'll freeze if you leave it there). Gripes / suggestions?

Raiders(portable).bin 8 kB · 510 downloads

Could you please change the switch to drop the items from bw/c to select please? so I can emulate it on my Atari retro handheld, which doesn't have a bw/c switch.

17 hours ago, AtariYMas said:

Could you please change the switch to drop the items from bw/c to select please? so I can emulate it on my Atari retro handheld, which doesn't have a bw/c switch.

Nukey Shay passed away if you want it changed maybe learn how to