IGNORED

Best Nintendo VS arcade games?

thetallguy24

Just got a VS system with Gradius, but from what I understand, the VS Gradius isnt much different from my NES Gradius.

What would you suggest to be the most unique or best VS arcade game?

I know VS excitebike has 2 player, VS RBI Baseball has different teams, and you can shoot the dog in VS Duch Hunt, but what other games have significant or better differences from the NES versions?

Isn't VS Goonies stand alone?

Vs. Super Mario Bros definitely has differences from the home version... The first four worlds are slightly harder while the last half are levels from the Japanese SMB, it takes 150 coins to get an extra life and there's more enemies in the levels.

In other words, it was made to suck quarters from you like an arcade game.

• 3 weeks later...

Vs Pinball has some differences including: Background Music, the flippers have a more mechanical sound, and the holes that would lead to the Mario and Pauline mini game now swap the ball between each other, so I would say that it is fairly unique from the NES version

Also, Did you know there is actually a VS. Urban Champion but it hasn't been dumped on mame and the PCB is very rare, only one video exists:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjJAFBF-wS8 (it's originally from Nico Nico Douga, Credit to "Vahan Nisianian")

You're Welcome.

Edited by Jumpman1981
  • Like 1

I agree with Vs. SMB, but one good one that has yet to be mentioned is Vs. Wrecking Crew. Predating the NES version, it's quite a bit different. The biggest differences are a horizontally oriented playfield, Foreman Spike on your tail at all times (though unable to directly hurt you, he'll try to knock you down by hitting a block you're on, an action you can reciprocate), and a simultaneous two player mode (clearly designed for a Vs. Dualsystem).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Widely regarded as a pretty crappy game, I used to play the hell out of Vs. Baseball, and loved it on the NES.  It has tons of flaws, but something about it always had me playing it.

A local Pizza Hut had a sit-down dual screen Vs. Baseball, where your points keep ticking down (or up if you scored).. it was definitely a quarter eater.