IGNORED

Myarc controller 1278 sectors ?

mantadoc

Is it possible to get 1440 sectors on a Myarc controller instead of 1278 ?

Can´t remember if i asked before :)

Richard

Yes. both of my Myarc disk controllers can obtain 1440 sectors. Both do have the 80 track upgrade. If i recall correctly the original DSR would only do 16 sectors per track, but the new 80 track DSR (selectable for 40) will get you to the 1440 sectors since it uses 18 sectors per track.

Someone can correct me if my memory is not serving me right, but I think that is the case. So if you are only getting the 1278, you need to get the 80 track upgrade. You can select 40/80 to be enabled or disabled based on dip switches on the Myarc controller. Switch 1 is for DSK1. On= 80 track, Off =40 Track, and so on.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

Yes. both of my Myarc disk controllers can obtain 1440 sectors. Both do have the 80 track upgrade. If i recall correctly the original DSR would only do 16 sectors per track, but the new 80 track DSR (selectable for 40) will get you to the 1440 sectors since it uses 18 sectors per track.

Someone can correct me if my memory is not serving me right, but I think that is the case. So if you are only getting the 1278, you need to get the 80 track upgrade. You can select 40/80 to be enabled or disabled based on dip switches on the Myarc controller.

Ok Thanks , that would be great , i will try it

The 80 track EPROM definitely supports 18 sectors/track. There should also be a 40 track EPROM version that supports 16 and 18, though it's been so long since I've encountered it, and there may have been bug fixes in the later 80 track version. I think Swim4home (Richard) and Atrax can provide the updates. There should also be BIN files of the EPROMS floating around; version 1.5 is the most stable IIRC.

John Birdwell's Disk Utilities among others had versions specifically created to support the Myarc cards and the formatting routines. You can glean some more specifics from the included documentation.

The Myarc MPES system on the other hand is limited to 16 sectors/track. No updated EPROM was made available to my knowledge.

• Like 1