IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

I guess the big question when it comes to the 7800 and 5200 is "are there any Atari titles that can be added to the Flashback"?

Atari specific. No Williams (I love 7800 and 5200 Joust over the 2600!) And no Parker Brothers, and so on. What Atari titles are on those systems that make it worth it?

I have those lists. It's not bad, but there's a lot of redundancy with the Atari 2600 and arcade, so again, those are best as supplements, not anchors. If all goes well, we'll likely see something on the software side long before we see anything on the hardware side. The hardware side has the added issue of needing different controllers than AtGames has thus far been producing, further lowering the value-to-cost ratio.

I stopped bothering with the Flashbacks after 2. It's basically just the same thing over and over again. Not worth it to me. I'll probably pick up a portable, but that's it.

Now what would really get me excited is a console that runs actual arcade roms, like a Mame system. I already have Mame running in an actual arcade cabinet, but it would be cool to have something to plug into the tv for occasional use. Let's face it, the console ports of arcade games suck. I like some of the original stuff, but anything that is a copy of the arcade, meh.

• Like 1

I stopped bothering with the Flashbacks after 2. It's basically just the same thing over and over again.

This is the reason I won't bother with one until it has both HDMI AND an SD card slot so I can play my own games of my choosing with my own 2600 joysticks AND paddles on my living room HD TV. These flashbacks are becoming the plug and play version of all the yearly sports video games - same thing year after year with a new coat of paint and a couple minor differences of no real substance.

Edited by AtariLeaf

I guess the big question when it comes to the 7800 and 5200 is "are there any Atari titles that can be added to the Flashback"?

Atari specific. No Williams (I love 7800 and 5200 Joust over the 2600!) And no Parker Brothers, and so on. What Atari titles are on those systems that make it worth it?

I would be happy with the 7800 versions of Asteroids, Centipede, and Food Fight. Especially Food Fight since it has only appeared on the 7800 and XE AFAIK.

The fact of the matter is is that Atari only has a handful of 7800 games in their possession, there was a dearth of third party stuff (let alone available third party stuff), and there's not a proven mass market interest in new homebrews for old systems. What sells these collections are well-known game titles and/or a well-known game system attached. The Atari 7800 has little of the former and is definitely not the latter. Again, I'm not saying it won't happen with the software-based SKUs, but even that would be have to be 7800 stuff mixed in with more recognizable titles from other platforms.

Yes,this would be great....7800 mixed with 2600 titles,like Flashback 1.

greetings Walter

At Games has proven the SD card slot works on a portable. Why can't this be possible for the 2017 flashback console? Seems like it would be a great upgrade besides the HDMI!

ASSumption 1: because it eats into their ability to release the same thing year over year, with only small changes to the software lineup.

ASSumption 2: if #1 is true, then perhaps the Portable is more of a one-off, not necessarily guaranteed a follow-up, unless it sold really well?

Hope everyone who wants one has already bought one! Don't wait until they're on clearance, buy at full price and send the message to AtGames you want this stuff. :waving:

• Like 1

At Games has proven the SD card slot works on a portable. Why can't this be possible for the 2017 flashback console? Seems like it would be a great upgrade besides the HDMI!

It's not, but between the HDMI, other new features, and major new software additions in 2017, I think it will still be hard to resist, unlike the past iterations. An SD card IS possible for 2018, but not a given at this point.

The Commodore 64 would be an ideal target, but the catch is finding a large collection of games to license. The Apple II would as well, of course, but the catch is potential flak from Apple.

the angry bee sound system, no thanks, did have one of those c64 built into a joystick systems years ago, briefly. I am sure they might find some audience though.

the angry bee sound system, no thanks, did have one of those c64 built into a joystick systems years ago, briefly. I am sure they might find some audience though.

I guess you're entitled to that opinion, but I bet most people think instead that the C-64 had the best sound chip of its era.

I don't know how System 3 is to work with professionally but it strikes me as one of the more active parties with old IP, both their own and what they aquired from Epyx.

That would definitely be a start, although I seem to remember them not being too responsive when we tried a while back. Either way, a lot more would be needed.

• Like 1

I guess you're entitled to that opinion, but I bet most people think instead that the C-64 had the best sound chip of its era.

As you are as well, I was always and Atari guy and a dealer (for commodore too) and thought is was awful. however much better than a pc of it's time or apple. to each his own, I would rather see a full on Atari 8 bit series but sales in the market being nostalia oriented, c64 would sell fine if they have the right titles or an SD :)

If one goes by Lemon64 users' votes on the top 100 games with the default cut-off at 50 votes, the publisher top list looks something like this:

Electronic Arts: 14 games (still exists)

Epyx: 8 games (now owned by System 3)

MicroProse: 7 games (now owned by Infogrames Entertainment)

System 3: 5 games (still exists)

Origin: 4 games (now owned by EA)

Rainbow Arts: 4 games (defunct?)

Firebird: 4 games (aquired by MicroProse, thus should be part of Infogrames?)

First Star: 4 games (still exists?)

Access: 4 games (now owned by Microsoft??)

Ocean: 4 games (now owned by Infogrames)

Several of those games were multi platform so not necessarily uniquely remembered for the C64 version, just that those are among the games most C64 fans would expect to see. I suppose getting IP from EA might be both difficult and expensive.

I don't know how Infogrames are to work with, but pretending that you managed to get licensing for any Epyx, System 3, MicroProse, Firebird and Ocean games, you would hypothetically cover 28 of the top 100 C64 games, plus any games from said publishers not on the top 100.

4. Pirates!

5. IK+ (Chop 'n Drop in the US)

6. Last Ninja 2

11. Bubble Bobble (unless that is a Taito IP more than Firebird's)

16. Project Stealth Fighter

18. Elite

20. Impossible Mission

26. Winter Games

27. MicroProse Soccer

29. The Last Ninja 1

35. Summer Games 2

36. Airborne Ranger

42. California Games

44. World Games

47. Wizball

48. Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo

54. Summer Games 1

57. Gunship

59. International Karate

63. Silent Service

66. Jumpman

68. Stunt Car Racer

74. Pitstop II

76. Rainbow Islands (another Taito IP?)

77. MYTH: History in the Making

84. Midnight Resistance

97. Head over Heels

99. The Sentinel

Perhaps a little simulation heavy and not that much casual pick and play as a possible C64 Flashback device might want to offer, but some of these games outside the top list could be meaningful to add:

System 3

Bangkok Knights (score 7.0)

Flimbo's Quest (score 7.9)

Juice! (Tronix, score 7.2)

Turbo Charge (score 7.6)

Epyx

Death Sword / Barbarian (Epyx/Psygnosis, score 8.1/8.3)

Gateway to Apshai (score 8.1)

Jumpman Junior (score 8.0)

The Movie Monster Game (score 7.3)

Super Cycle (score 7.9)

Firebird

Mr HELI (score 8.0)

Rick Dangerous (score 8.2)

Soldier of Fortune (score 7.4)

Ocean

Batman or the Caped Crusader (score 7.7 / 7.6)

Chase HQ II: Special Criminal Investigation (Ocean/Taito, score 7.1)

Hunchback (score 7.2)

The Newzealand Story (Ocean/Taito, score 7.9)

Operation Wolf (Ocean/Taito, score 7.5)

Parallax [score 7.8]

Rambo: First Blood Part II (score 7.5)

Shadow of the Beast (Ocean/Psygnosis, score 7.3)

Toki (score 7.0)

A lot of arcade licenses or movie tie-ins that may not be possible at all to license, but some might be doable and any game that die-hard C64 gamers rate at 7/10 or better would be suitable for inclusion.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

I would be happy with the 7800 versions of Asteroids, Centipede, and Food Fight. Especially Food Fight since it has only appeared on the 7800 and XE AFAIK.

Dark Chambers and Ninja Golf would be cool too. I imagine it working out similar to how the Atari Flashbacks have arcade conversions of Space Invaders and Frogger.

Asteroids alone would be very, very cool, IMO.

Dark Chambers and Ninja Golf would be cool too. I imagine it working out similar to how the Atari Flashbacks have arcade conversions of Space Invaders and Frogger.

Asteroids alone would be very, very cool, IMO.

Dark Chambers is definitely not available. That's why the 2600 version is not on there either. Anyway, for this year, there will be no 7800 stuff. We'll see what the future brings. (I am definitely a big fan of Atari 7800 Asteroids.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Personally, I'd love to see a Flashback include emulation support for 2600, 7800, AND 5200 games. The 5200 ports of Missile Command and Centipede are the definitive 8-bit ports of those titles, and the 5200 also has some good exclusives like Star Raiders and Countermeasure.

The console wouldn't have to advertise that it supports the niche 5200/7800 platforms, just include games from those platforms when they are the best-in-class version.

Edited by FifthPlayer

Personally, I'd love to see a Flashback include emulation support for 2600, 7800, AND 5200 games. The 5200 ports of Missile Command and Centipede are the definitive 8-bit ports of those titles, and the 5200 also has some good exclusives like Star Raiders and Countermeasure.

The console wouldn't have to advertise that it supports the niche 5200/7800 platforms, just include games from those platforms when they are the best-in-class version.

The 5200 will always present a problem because of the controllers. There's just not enough of a market justification to go to the trouble of replicating 5200 controller functionality. The closest we'll probably ever get is a software-based collection, like Atari Flashback Classics. 7800 is more of a possibility because it's a bit more straightforward, but it would also require AtGames to create a two button controller, and there are only a handful of games that are readily available to license from its library (at least that Atari has rights to still).

Anyway, the 2600-based Flashback (and Sega) console is being re-imagined this year, so it's certainly something we can build off of and see where the platform itself can be taken.

• Like 1