IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

What do you mean by two Atari consoles? I only thought there would be an Atari HD Flashback console. Not counting the portable, what's the other one?

Standard (SD) and Premium (HD) versions. There will be other advantages to the Premium versions to go along with a higher price point.

• Like 1

From my horizon, while it seems the NES Mini was nearly equally priced all over the world (as long as you could buy it at all), the few AtGames products I've seen resellers offering over here are priced 2-3 times what they're selling for in the US. I suppose that is due to retailer networks vs direct import, but internationally market shares will depend a lot on what units can be sold for

This is often the case here in Canada, too, especially in smaller stores. It would not surprise me if some of the hardware was originally purchased at retail Stateside, and then imported as "personal effects" to save paying duty -- there are very small quantities of stock at very high prices (like 2x MSRP, even after accounting for the exchange rate).

Unfortunately, major retailers like Wal-Mart do not stock AtGames products, so the only source is smaller shops and private sales.

This has been happening for many years; every single Sears-brand 2600 game and console sold in Canada was unofficially imported at some point.

• Like 1

Right now, what's a lock are two Atari consoles, two Sega consoles, and one Atari and Sega portable. Anything else is still up in the air.

Two Atari consoles? What is the second one? 7800? 8-bit? And I assume SMS???

EDIT: Sorry, massive brain fart. :dunce:

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

"Unfortunately, major retailers like Wal-Mart do not stock AtGames products, so the only source is smaller shops and private sales."

With the success of the NES unit, maybe that will change this time around?

What is that quote from? Plenty of big box stores stock AtGames stuff.

• Like 1

Nothing you guys should be surprised about, but some leaked info on the HD version of the Sega Classic Console: https://www.facebook.com/groups/atariage/?multi_permalinks=10154933931785255&notif_t=group_highlights&notif_id=1491419362194790

Yes, it's legit.

Awww yeah. This is what we want. Now, how about when, and how much?

85 games (hopefully all Sega Genesis games, not filler stuff)

RF wireless controllers

HDMI 720p

Suspend/restore states

a cartridge slot (wouldn't Everdrive compatibility be nice?)

vintage style case design

post-2410-0-66185700-1491423177_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Awww yeah. This is what we want. Now, how about when, and how much?

85 games (hopefully all Sega Genesis games, not filler stuff)

RF wireless controllers

HDMI 720p

Suspend/restore states

a cartridge slot (wouldn't Everdrive compatibility be nice?)

vintage style case design

attachicon.gifImageHandler.ashx.jpeg

When? Probably around September. How much? Probably best not for me to say until the official reveal, but the list price will be significantly higher than the usual list price. Also as before, the street price should be much lower than the list price, but expect to pay at least $20 more than you're used to.

Yes, plenty of filler as usual. With that said, just like the on the Atari side, there will be an improved line-up of first and third party games on the non-filler side of the equation.

The controllers are a proprietary Bluetooth-style wireless that do not require pairing. You can still use wired controllers if you want.

• Like 6

Glad to hear it's Bluetooth and not the previously mentioned RF.

Wish it would include a SD slot like their handhelds though. Especially given its premium nature and the popularity of Everdrives and the like, it's a major omission. I hope the Atari counterpart has it at least, especially since it all but certainly won't support original cartridges and thus has no expandability.

Edited by Atariboy

Glad to hear it's Bluetooth and not the previously mentioned RF.

That statement makes no sense. :) Not all RF (radio frequency) is Bluetooth, but all Bluetooth is RF.

Just be glad it's not using line-of-sight IR (infrared) anymore.

As for SD, AtGames seems to only want to put that on its portable consoles for some reason. I guess they figure if they supply a cartridge slot, you can bring your own games that way (and they sell their own SD-card cartridge adapter). The portables are too small for a full cartridge slot -- but since they've included SD for so long, they're always my favorite toys from the company. .

• Like 2

You're right, it doesn't.

For some reason in my head, I was thinking that you said IR. And I hate that type of wireless technology that requires line of sight to be maintained. Been a long day and I'm tired, so be patient with me. :)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

It's 2.4G wireless, and no, it won't be compatible with anything else at this time, although a separate USB dongle might be made and sold (consider that only a maybe at this time). No SD card slot, although that may be a possibility in the future. No cartridge slot on the Atari HD, although an SD card slot might be a possibility next year (the Atari one will have a strong line-up, though). Flash carts might work with the Sega HD, but at the moment, assume they don't just to be safe. It's still being finalized, but will be something I'll eventually test out (obviously several flash carts worked with the standard def console).

Although fun, there's really nothing else to speculate about at this time. You have all of the key facts.

• Like 2

If the list of built-in stuff is as strong as Bill says, it's possible we won't care as much.

RF controls on the Atari HDTV unit would be nice too.

Again, without going into detail I'm not supposed to, expect feature parity with the Sega HD (although no cartridge port).

I'm not sure we'll ever get a cartridge-based Atari, but certainly I'll continue to suggest an SD card slot.

Edited by BillLoguidice
  • Like 5

Again, without going into detail I'm not supposed to, expect feature parity with the Sega HD (although no cartridge port).

I'm not sure we'll ever get a cartridge-based Atari, but certainly I'll continue to suggest an SD card slot.

That's cool.

I think that having high quality wireless controllers that are reasonably faithful to the originals will be great, especially combined with a "good enough" library of pre-loaded games, and an HDMI interface.

A Raspberry Pi can do more, but it requires a lot of setup and copyright infringement ...and most people still don't have the original-feeling controls when you're done.

• Like 2

That's cool.

I think that having high quality wireless controllers that are reasonably faithful to the originals will be great, especially combined with a "good enough" library of pre-loaded games, and an HDMI interface.

A Raspberry Pi can do more, but it requires a lot of setup and copyright infringement ...and most people still don't have the original-feeling controls when you're done.

I agree. I think it's a logical next step in the evolution of these types of products. We have the NES Mini to thank for making it possible.

Like the NES Mini, it's in no way a replacement for other devices (I'm partial to the Retro Freak for post-Crash systems and recently got my indieGO! system to add to my ever growing list of somewhat similar systems like that) and emulation, but there is something to be said for a legal, purpose-built device that tries to replicate one specific type of retro experience.

• Like 1