IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

The Genesis on a Chip implementation in the SRT is nearly perfect, as well as the SNES portion. No messed up audio, near perfect compatibility, except Virtua Racing, and even that can be fixed with a jumper wire. The AtGames Genesis-On-A-Chip is comparatively poor compatibility, broken saves, and terrible audio. No excuse for Sonic to sound the way it did.

And I'm aware the HD versions are emulators paired with cart dumpers, which open a completely different can of compatibility issues when it comes to interfacing the cartridge. If the system doesn't know how to dump the cart, the game won't run. A huge issue for NES, less so for 16-bit systems.

All well-known, yes.

• Like 1

I don't follow that part of the scene very closely but I strongly had the feeling that Nintendo would try to shut down even non-infringing software, at least those put on a physical cartridge.

Surprisingly, as far as I know, Nintendo hasn't done anything about repro carts, etc.

Although the homebrew community itself frowns upon those who build and sell homebrew/hack/translation repros without permission, but even eBay does very little about it.

• Like 1

No. It's not considered an active issue because it's just the one game (not counting homebrews) that makes use of it.

I'm assuming the flashback can read simultaneous inputs on the joystick port otherwise the paddles wouldn't work in 2-players. A bigger issue is the Indy 500 game was likely reprogrammed (or interpreted by the emu same as paddle games) to accept joystick inputs.

I'm assuming the flashback can read simultaneous inputs on the joystick port otherwise the paddles wouldn't work in 2-players. A bigger issue is the Indy 500 game was likely reprogrammed (or interpreted by the emu same as paddle games) to accept joystick inputs.

No ROMs are ever modified. It's all done at the emulator level.

No ROMs are ever modified. It's all done at the emulator level.

Hi. I wasn't sure if this was already talked about but if I had an original Driving controller would it work with Indy 500?

They could have easily made it to work, but didn't because they don't care.

A simple way for the emu to detect the presence of a Driving controller is to switch to direct input whenever up + down (but neither right nor left) are simultaneously actuated. Properly designed joysticks should never allow this. I assume the emu use a similar detection method (positive voltage signal on paddle inputs) to switch to native paddle control when real paddles are plugged in. This would also have the side effect of causing Genesis controllers not work properly on paddle-enabled games though. Genesis controllers don't normally work with the Stelladaptor or 2600daptor for this exact reason.

Any news on the usb-dongle for those nice Genesis wireless controllers?

Like for using them on a PC?

You can get a Bluetooth dongle anywhere, if your PC doesn't natively support it. I've used GlovePIE for Wiimotes before, but there might be more elegant solutions out there.

Like for using them on a PC?

You can get a Bluetooth dongle anywhere, if your PC doesn't natively support it. I've used GlovePIE for Wiimotes before, but there might be more elegant solutions out there.

These use a proprietary technology, so it will require a dongle to work with other devices. Pure Bluetooth controllers may be a possibility in the future, but not something presently under development.

The Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition is the one to get. It has more games than the standard Atari Flashback 8 Gold and also comes with wired paddles. Same price, too.

In updating the info for the top post, I noticed that AtGames is no longer mentioning bundled vintage-style paddles in the Activision Gold box. Can you clarify?

In updating the info for the top post, I noticed that AtGames is no longer mentioning bundled vintage-style paddles in the Activision Gold box. Can you clarify?

As of now, as far as I know, they're still included. Pricing may be lowered and other things may change, but I have nothing official to report at this time. More press releases and additional info (that's final or close-to-final) should hit within the next month.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 2

As of now, as far as I know, they're still included. Pricing may be lowered and other things may change, but I have nothing official to report at this time. More press releases and additional info (that's final or close-to-final) should hit within the next month.

Cool. I hope they're included, obviously. |:) My old paddles are in unknown condition so it would be nice to have a fresh set.

I'll try not to sweat the discrepancies in the messaging too much. I noticed that although Pitfall is featured on the promotional materials and mockup boxes for ALL of the 4 planned Atari-branded products, it's not on ANY of the software lists. Yikes.

I thought I was the only one who actually liked the AtGames systems. I know everyone likes to complain about the sound on them, but it has never been an issue for me. I think the games sound fine. When I was a kid, the problem with the sound was usually the garbage mono-speaker on the TV that made everything sound pretty bad, but you'd get used to it.

The question I have about the new systems concerns the Homebrew stuff. In the video showing off the UI, there's clearly a section for Homebrew in the menus but how would you get that stuff on the console? The portables have and SD card slot but the main consoles don't. Is there something I'm missing?

• Like 1

Somebody keeps buying enough of these for them to keep making more, so it's not just us.

The TV consoles are limited to what's onboard. There is a small number of homebrew titles on the non-Activision Gold 8 box, with names like Avoid It, Chase It, and Shoot It. Yars' Return, Adventure 2, and a few other returning games can be considered homebrews, too.

The video for the FB8 Gold seems to show the HDMI port on the side. Say it ain't so.

Somebody keeps buying enough of these for them to keep making more, so it's not just us.

The TV consoles are limited to what's onboard. There is a small number of homebrew titles on the non-Activision Gold 8 box, with names like Avoid It, Chase It, and Shoot It. Yars' Return, Adventure 2, and a few other returning games can be considered homebrews, too.

The video for the FB8 Gold seems to show the HDMI port on the side. Say it ain't so.

Ah. So the homebrew section in the Genesis console is just for the extra games like Canon and Sudoku. Gotcha. I was hoping they were going to allow ROMs or something. I guess the cartridge slot will have to be enough.

And despite the complaints, I also rather enjoyed those added homebrew games. One day I decided to stop being so cynical and just play a couple, and they're actually some fun little games.

• Like 1