IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

Ah. So the homebrew section in the Genesis console is just for the extra games like Canon and Sudoku. Gotcha. I was hoping they were going to allow ROMs or something. I guess the cartridge slot will have to be enough.

And despite the complaints, I also rather enjoyed those added homebrew games. One day I decided to stop being so cynical and just play a couple, and they're actually some fun little games.

Ah, I found the video and now I see what you mean.

post-2410-0-27737500-1498659913_thumb.png

I thought those "filler" games were not going to be on the HDMI Flashback unit. I'm old and cranky and would really prefer GameGear and Sega Master System games, as announced elsewhere.

I suppose that's one downside of having so many variations.

Another thing that doesn't help is having years of not-so-hot releases that make people post stuff like this.

Again, someone rattling on about the quality of the sound. I swear I must be the only person on Earth who can't tell the difference. I play games on my original SEGA Genesis and the sound is the same as from my AtGames consoles. Whatever. I think at this point it's become a meme and people just like to repeat it because it's what gamers have determined it to be.

• Like 1

Again, someone rattling on about the quality of the sound. I swear I must be the only person on Earth who can't tell the difference. I play games on my original SEGA Genesis and the sound is the same as from my AtGames consoles. Whatever. I think at this point it's become a meme and people just like to repeat it because it's what gamers have determined it to be.

The sound on the SD units and the handheld is definitely off from what an original Genesis system sounds like. Whether or not it personally bothers you is another issue entirely. Fortunately, the HD unit sounds like the original, so there should be no complaints in that area for that product. In terms of reputation with the AtGames Sega sound, it will take time for that to improve.

• Like 3

I may be committing blasphemy here, but IMO the Genesis never sounded that great to begin with. I always preferred music on SNES (duck!).

The SNES had superior sound hardware, but, if programmed right, obviously the Genesis could sound pretty amazing as well. Overall, though, yeah, I don't think it's news to say that the SNES fared better in a few key areas like color and sound than the Genesis did.

Edited by Bill Loguidice

There is a HUGE difference in audio. Sound effects totally wrong and off key. Unless you are completely tone deaf, you should notice a BIG difference... :P

I may be committing blasphemy here, but IMO the Genesis never sounded that great to begin with. I always preferred music on SNES (duck!).

My VA7 model 1 Genesis has grungy audio through the AV and RF ports. If yours is a model 1, try pumping the headphone jack into your stereo and adjust the volume setting for clean stereo sound.

There is a HUGE difference in audio. Sound effects totally wrong and off key. Unless you are completely tone deaf, you should notice a BIG difference... :P

I think the differences between the first two Genesis consoles are overblown, but the AtGames Firecore stuff to date is completely different -- when it's a melodic game (Sonic or Phantasy Star 2, for example) , the difference is stark and quite annoying. When it's farty old Genesis music, the difference isn't so bad.
  • Like 1

I think the differences between the first two Genesis consoles are overblown, but the AtGames Firecore stuff to date is completely different -- when it's a melodic game (Sonic or Phantasy Star 2, for example) , the difference is stark and quite annoying. When it's farty old Genesis music, the difference isn't so bad.

You know, the distortion on the VA7 Model 1 Genesis is like playing through an old vintage amp. It isn't a perfectly accurate portrayal of the waveform, but it isn't gut-wrenchingly bad either. It's just vintage sound, with occasionally warmer tones than what you would get from cold, sterile, solid state. Kinda reminds me of a good old hard rock guitar distortion pedal in a way... :)

So yeah, the minute audio differences between different revisions of the Genesis hardware (or in the case of the Model 1 VA7, the difference between the AV port and the headphone jack) are really apples to oranges.

Vintage hardware revisions are a mole hills worth of difference, and the AtGames stuff (at least previous years) is a Mt Everest's worth of difference. When multichannel synths aren't even playing together in the right key or harmony, it just sounds messed up. Like if a piccolo is tuned to E when the rest of the orchestra is playing in B# (yes, I said "Bee Sharp," it is a real note, look it up), the piccolo will sound out of tune and disjointed, for good reason. So when I hear beloved Sonic 1 music butchered in this manner, it's just pathetic. My ear drums bleed, maybe not physically, but my brain knows it is wrong and the effect is so grating that the game is just unplayable, or I have to turn the sound off.

Even the age old swapped duty NOAC chips annoy me to no end, where Mario sounds like "WHUUUPP" when he jumps rather than "OOOOIEE." It's just unnerving. Once you can discern the difference, you cannot unhear it.

I appologize for my rant. Perhaps after they get the audio fixed, I might invest in one of these Genesis Flashback devices...

• Like 2

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but on the SEGA HD, will the save states & "rewind" functionality apply to cartridge games also?

It sounds like it. There's a REWIND button on the controller, and a pool of save states for cartridge games.

The demo video makes it look like the cartridge ROM is loaded into an emulator. The upcoming Hyperkin Retron 77 seems to work in a similar way.

• Like 1

Flashback stockpile on launch day

I just want to share a quick heartwarming story; Last year I had pre-ordered the Atari Flashback Portable from GS. As most of you remember, the launch date was pushed back a little for the portable. When the big day finally came, I proudly walked into GS on my way to work only to discover 0 [ZERO] in stock. I even had the clerk look it up in their database, & no store within many of hundreds of miles within my location (a major inner-city) had them. So, on my lunch break, I gingerly stroll into a BB&B store, and I saw this huge pile of them on day one! :-)

Given the recent supply shortages by companies like "the big N" and the unrelenting hoarding by online scalpers; I can't help but wonder: Are there any chances on seeing such a glorious sight as the ample stockpile of AtGames merch again this year for the HD consoles?

Edited by BitMerge6502
  • Like 3

Some games sound almost okay, some games sound ear-bleedingly off-key.

• Like 1

I've never owned a Sega console although I have a handful of carts from various bulk purchases. I couldn't afford more than one system back in the day, but I always liked them. The Sega HD unit looks tempting and attainable, unlike another company's products.

So when will the 2600 version add a cartridge port? Seems like the next logical step as well as changing the ugly buttons to something more like the original.

2017 planned purchases: Activision Flashback HD, Retron 77, Sega HD

2018 Wish list: Atari Flashback HD with cartridge port, Atari Flashback portable with bigger screen, controller ports, HDMI out

I have no idea how I missed this topic, I should come into this area of the forums more often.

Now that I know, I'm definitely going to see about picking up a Gold Edition 2600. The wireless controllers look great, and since everything in my home is a flat-screen the HDMI is appreciated. I'm assuming it will retail in Canada for $100?

• Like 1

I thought you guys had trouble getting AtGames stuff in Canada?

I'd ship you one if it makes sense for both of us. Should be a light box (no cartridges!) but perhaps a little bulky.

I saw the Flashback 6 here a long time ago, but the store it was in is gone now (independant game store, another one bites the dust). I've also seen the Flashback 7 on Amazon Canada, so if the Gold edition makes its way there I could grab it.

I've never looked too carefully for the Flashbacks since they didn't have HDMI. But I wouldn't be surprised if they're hard to get, it's amazing the things we have trouble getting our hands on up here.

If it makes sense to have you ship one to me I'd definitely be willing to work something out that's worth your time! Perhaps the gods will smile on us poor Canadians this year and let the Flashback be available here in-store (the dream) or Amazon (the last-ditch).

• Like 1

If you're near the US such as near the St. Lawrence River, you could always pop over here. Dollar General broke tradition and didn't seem to carry last year's lineup, but they've traditionally been able to be counted on as a b&m retailer that carries AtGames products. And the Sega line were regulars at Walgreens as well, although I imagine they'll likely only be interested in the lower cost SD models this year.

And while I've never been inside of one, Sam's Club stocks these and often has seen exclusive SKU's from AtGames. I believe a guest that doesn't have a paid membership can still make purchases at this chain, with perhaps a slight penalty that adds a bit to the price of items or by signing up for a trial membership. Watertown NY has one for example if you're in Montreal, the Leeds & Grenville area, etc.

Just don't make your border guards angry on the way home. They seem to be an irritable bunch, or maybe they just don't like foreigners. :)

Edited by Atariboy

And while I've never been inside of one, Sam's Club stocks these and often has seen exclusive SKU's from AtGames. I believe a guest that doesn't have a paid membership can still make purchases at this chain, with perhaps a slight penalty that adds a bit to the price of items or by signing up for a trial membership. Watertown NY has one for example if you're in Montreal, the Leeds & Grenville area, etc.

There is no penalty. Members can and do bring guest shoppers with them into the store. I don't have a membership but I shop there all the time with family. The cardholder must be present at the door and also at checkout, but the guest is free to purchase items with cash or his/her own credit card.

So for instance, I can enter a Sam's Club warehouse with my cousin Bill (Bill is fictitious name btw). Bill shows his card and says "Kosmic Stardust is with me." Then I am free to roam the store and add items into my buggy, and when I go to checkout, I need Bill to swipe his membership card, even though I selected the items and paid with my own charge card. At exit, a clerk inspects the receipt to the merchandise in the buggy (no membership checks this time) and I am free to exit with my discount goods, benefit of Cousin Bill's paid membership.

Yes, but what are the chances that a Canadian crossing the border to the US that enters a Sam's Club to do some shopping, is accompanied by someone that is a member? We're talking a retail chain that doesn't have any Canadian locations, if Wikipedia is to be believed.

Nice to know, but probably not applicable if he was to do that. More useful to know would be what the process is for a guest shopper that isn't accompanied by a Sam's Club member (Since with the other scenario, even if guests were barred from purchases, they'd have a friend or family member with them that could still buy it).

He's probably lives in Newfoundland or something anyways, making it a moot point since we're not talking about an easy drive across the border then. :)

Edited by Atariboy

What Kosmic describes is how we sometimes take friends to Costco and buy things on their behalf (even if they pay).

What toiletunes describes sounds like how a person could visit Sams solo, without a member friend. Can't do that at Costco as far as I know -- they want to see your membership card at the door.

And now I'm thinking about the $999 Lenovo gaming laptop they have there, lots of RAM and storage and Nvidia GTX1050 graphics. I don't need it at all, but it's nice to see specs getting better at lower prices.m

BTW I've never seen AtGames stuff at Costco, which is a shame.