IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

My oft ability to see the future while drinking Guinness points to Sam's Club.

If it has a good web presence, then it's definitely not Dollar General. Sam's Club makes perfect sense. I've bought all my AtGames consoles there. Can't wait for these things to go on sale... and also still holding out hope for an Intellivision 2 Flashback: Keith Robinson Special Edition.

• Like 1

I hope not, there isn't one within 40 miles of me and they don't have much of a web store.

Prolly a dozen or so in my city alone, and they even find their way dotting rural landscapes too sparcely populated for a Walmart. Literally in the South you cannot drive ten miles without spotting one.

Up here in upstate NY near the St. Lawrence River and Canada, even hamlets are getting Dollar Generals. The town of Hopkinton that contains a hamlet of the same name that is too small to justify incorporating as a village, is the latest around here to get it. And we're talking a town of almost 200 square miles and a population of 1,000 people or so spread across it all.

You don't have to drive far in New York State or Vermont to find a Dollar General. Yet I don't know how much good it will do for Flashback seekers this year since the AtGames ties appeared to be severed after 2015 and the presumably poorly selling Coleco and Intellivision products that didn't move. Was no AtGames presence at all locally or in their Black Friday ad last year, despite being one of the usual places to reliably find these in previous years.

And if they do return, I doubt the higher end Gold editions will be one of them. They'll likely want to stock the lower cost editions that are attractive to casual customers and impulse purchases. People just aren't going into Dollar General to buy $80 electronics.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

In my city of 18k in a 25 mile radius we have a couple dozen between the DG/FD stores. Also a Super Walmart, Target, Kmart, Sam's, etc so we aren't short on options. The main places they are around here are neighborhoods so to be within walking distance and easy access. They have the staples and a few refrigerators of chilled foodstuffs.

It keeps you from having to go into a large shopping complex or mall area but it definitely can't replace a grocery store.

Damn, I thought these things were everywhere.

Sent from my Phrenologists waiting room.

My personal classic videogame holy grail of the moment is something that either adapts Atari-style connectors to be wireless, or just creates proper wireless controllers. The AtGames Atari joysticks and Sega gamepads for the HD models would actually fit the bill nicely, but the adapter is not yet in development.

• Like 1

My personal classic videogame holy grail of the moment is something that either adapts Atari-style connectors to be wireless, or just creates proper wireless controllers. The AtGames Atari joysticks and Sega gamepads for the HD models would actually fit the bill nicely, but the adapter is not yet in development.

I agree 100%. With the way gaming setups are with larger TVs, etc. having Wireless controllers is a huge advantage

You've posted that elsewhere. Is that real? Looks like VGA with an antenna. Would be nice if it could work for other things, too.

Yup I also posted it in one of the other Flashback 8 threads .

That picture is real but I doubt it would work in this situation, I mostly did it for a chuckle. I just Googled wireless 9 pin connector and got.....

https://wcscnet.com/product/bluetooth-wireless-serial-port-adapter/

Mind I ask, what is a hamlet? I'm sure it has nothing to do with baby pigs nor Shakespear.

An unincorporated community that isn't large enough or financially well off enough to make it advantageous to incorporate and form a village government. Saves the citizens the taxes that would have to be charged to fund the village government. In New York State, such populated areas that aren't incorporated and then considered a village, have always been known as hamlets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet_(place)#New_York

A fair number of villages in upstate NY have even gone as far as to dissolve in recent years, with many more studying the option or having considered it recently. It's like the school merger craze from the 1980's that many rural areas experienced in the US.

So for an example, instead of your local taxes going to fund both a village court and a town court, your local community would only be funding a town court if there's no village government. There's only one layer of local government below the county level instead of two like there are when you reside in an incorporated village.

But like the school merger craze, a lot of the savings are illusory. People don't want to give up their water, sewer, street lights, village police and fire department, etc. So water districts, police districts, and so on are still formed to provide many of the services that the village once provided.

And the town has to expand as well, such as their highway department that now has village streets to maintain.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Thanks for the video link. What is the retail price for the Flashback and Sega Portable this year? $40?

Video said $50 for portables and SD flashbacks, $80 for HD flashbacks.

If I were the product manager, I'd want deluxe versions of everything, but it sounds like there's a place for the low cost stuff.

• Like 3