IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

Top post updated with what I hope is some realistic optimism.

I heard this was crap. Aren't all AtGames things crap?

AtGames stuff to date have been seasonal, low-priced, mass-market toys, not necessarily collectible replicas. The prior "Classic Console" and portable units with Genesis-on-a-chip hardware had problems with sound emulation, even though game timing and graphics were faithful to the originals. Early (July 2017) review versions of the Sega Genesis Flashback had problems with emulation performance and wireless controls, which is reflected in early press reviews. The company is working to resolve these production errors before the wider launch in Fall 2017.

• Like 1

Well this guy doesn't like the new Sega Flashback. Seems some reviews online are pretty bad but I just have to trust him because instead of showing the reviews he just streams some crappy FPS while yelling. I personally didn't have any interest in the Sega version but if these reviews are true this thing may tank.

Well this guy doesn't like the new Sega Flashback. Seems some reviews online are pretty bad but I just have to trust him because instead of showing the reviews he just streams some crappy FPS while yelling. I personally didn't have any interest in the Sega version but if these reviews are true this thing may tank.

But it looks like this guy hasn't even played the thing. he's just basing his opinions off what others have said. And from the other reviews I've seen so far, I've yet to read one that is a fair review of the system. IGN blasts it for having "garbage" filler games. The Destructoid review now has an apology at the beginning in which the author admits it's just a blast piece and that he hasn't actually used the device.

I get it. For some reason, people want to hate on anything that has "AtGames" written on it. I'm not sure why. Those filler games may not be original system games, but if you give them a chance... they're actually kinda fun. Yet it seems like every review is coming in with the thought of "this thing sucks" and are looking for reasons to justify that opinion. I mean, they're hitting the thing on needing AAA batteries for the controller. IGN gives it a hit for not being heavy enough. Seriously??

I have the AtGames Sega Genesis box already. I actually really enjoy it. This one seems to be a bit better (although without any of the Ecco games). I only wish there was a review out there that actually reviewed the system, without the major criticism being "Where is Sonic 3??"

Edited by vongruetz
  • Like 2

Make no mistake, there ARE problems with the Sega HD. Only a small percentage of games work how they should on the reviewer's units. All issues, physical and software, are being addressed for the second batch of reviewer units, and, obviously, the production run.

Make no mistake, there ARE problems with the Sega HD. Only a small percentage of games work how they should on the reviewer's units. All issues, physical and software, are being addressed for the second batch of reviewer units, and, obviously, the production run.

Sure, there may be problems with the unit, but I wish that the actual problems were addressed in the reviews. Half of the "reviews" are reactions to other reviews who have never touched the unit. And then ones, such as IGN or Gamespot, are criticizing things that seem to be arbirtary (such as batteries, weight, and extra added games). The video review posted above seems pretty positive with the exception of the wireless controllers having somem lag. Now that's actually informative. Saying the system is junk because it includes Chess and Canon doesn't help me out in deciding with whether this thing is worthy of my money. I don't care if I have to put in my own AAA batteries. I don't care if it isn't heavy. Does it play the games I want to play? And I wish someone would review it from a neutral standpoint without coming in to it with a "everything AtGames does sucks" filter.

Bill, I know you said you were writing a review of these things and I can't wait to see what you have to say. Thanks.

• Like 3

Bill, I know you said you were writing a review of these things and I can't wait to see what you have to say. Thanks.

I'm not doing reviews, because there's no point until the revised batch is in place. My review would be harsh because the units are essentially busted as-is. The Atari Flashback 8 HD only has a couple of minor issues with a couple of games (like Pitfall) that should be addressed, as well as a quirk with the wireless controller that should be addressed as well. Once that happens, I can give an accurate review, time permitting. I'm working on a book at the moment for a major publisher that's due in about 3 weeks, so that has to take priority (I spent this weekend thoroughly testing every game on both HD units for AtGames and identifying every single issue that needs to be addressed).

• Like 2

Sure, there may be problems with the unit, but I wish that the actual problems were addressed in the reviews. Half of the "reviews" are reactions to other reviews who have never touched the unit. And then ones, such as IGN or Gamespot, are criticizing things that seem to be arbirtary (such as batteries, weight, and extra added games). The video review posted above seems pretty positive with the exception of the wireless controllers having somem lag. Now that's actually informative. Saying the system is junk because it includes Chess and Canon doesn't help me out in deciding with whether this thing is worthy of my money. I don't care if I have to put in my own AAA batteries. I don't care if it isn't heavy. Does it play the games I want to play? And I wish someone would review it from a neutral standpoint without coming in to it with a "everything AtGames does sucks" filter.

Thank you. I tried my best to give an objective review from the lens of a collector and gamer. Many of the reviews of this product are not accurate and it bothers me. I look forward to what Bill has to say.

• Like 3

Thank you. I tried my best to give an objective review from the lens of a collector and gamer. Many of the reviews of this product are not accurate and it bothers me. I look forward to what Bill has to say.

Are those your video reviews?? Those were two fantastic reviews. I really appreciate them. The one feature I wish someone would cover is the new rewind/save feature. My biggest problem with old games, especially the 16 bit Genesis games, is that I quit because I run out of time to play. Save states seem like the ideal solution.

Not at most retailers. I believe only one retailer will have the paddles and another bonus when it goes up for pre-order (no worries, this one has stores and a good online presence). I don't want to scoop the official announcement, though.

So what about this one with paddles and another bonus, is it still happening or not, for the 130 game Activision Gold Edition?!

• Like 1

So what about this one with paddles and another bonus, is it still happening or not, for the 130 game Activision Gold Edition?!

I just don't know. I was told there won't be any paddle bundles, so I'm not sure what happened with the one retailer. With that said, wait for one month and more details should be revealed.

• Like 3

At approximately the 1 hour and 41 minute mark of this video, Yada, my colleague from AtGames, talks about some of the products: https://cheddar.com/videos/160028

I can't get the video to play in my browser, so can someone summarize the AtGames portion for me?

I was really hoping to get a paddles bundle of the Activision Edition, since I'd rather not get some sight-unseen, questionable-condition used paddles over 30 years old and don't want to pay $30 + shipping for a new AtGames set (double that, actually, since I really want two pairs). Unfortunate that it won't be happening, at least not unless the situation changes again before the Activision Edition's release.

And seriously unfortunate that AtGames ended up shipping a bad Sega batch to reviewers. It sometimes seems like the company is cursed to keep finding some way to shoot itself in the foot, no matter how hard they try to get things right with their products. I hope they are able to recover somewhat with a fixed batch.

onmode-ky

• Like 3

I can't get the video to play in my browser, so can someone summarize the AtGames portion for me?

I was really hoping to get a paddles bundle of the Activision Edition, since I'd rather not get some sight-unseen, questionable-condition used paddles over 30 years old and don't want to pay $30 + shipping for a new AtGames set (double that, actually, since I really want two pairs). Unfortunate that it won't be happening, at least not unless the situation changes again before the Activision Edition's release.

And seriously unfortunate that AtGames ended up shipping a bad Sega batch to reviewers. It sometimes seems like the company is cursed to keep finding some way to shoot itself in the foot, no matter how hard they try to get things right with their products. I hope they are able to recover somewhat with a fixed batch.

onmode-ky

Yes, it's unfortunate and should never have happened. At least they're addressing that and even making some tweaks to the Atari HD as well.

As for the pre-order paddle bundle with other extra, maybe it will still happen. Right now, I don't think so, but again, we're still two months away from the pre-order for the Activision HD. A lot can happen in that time.

• Like 1

Hopefully the revised batches and corresponding reviews will be a lot more favorable than what is being said at this point, especially with the Sega HD. I know that retro-gaming is becoming more and more mainstream, so AtGames seems to be more under-the-gun than they ever have been. I, for one, am hopeful they can pull it off as it would be nice for people to give the company some kudos as it does deserve them.

No paddles = no sale for me. At Games is the worst in ordering a set of paddles since they are hardly ever in stock even if it says so online!

Oh really? D'oh! They're not worth $30 anyway. Could always pick up a used FB 5, 6, 7 Deluxe, and scavenge the paddles from those.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bombcast-492-plug-into-tv/2300-12417/

Talk begins at 00:27:55

Not necessarily posting to pour salt on the wound, as it were, but because Peter Brown gives some interesting information from his experiences opening up the device and hooking it up to his computer with the USB port he discovered hidden inside. As expected, it is an Android device, but there is some interesting speculation and confusion about the chip running it.