IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

I actually bought paddle controls from AtGames for my flashback 5, wonder if they will work with the new Atari flashback 8? I think the paddles complete the package, making games like breakout and kaboom much more authentic.

They do. I've tested the 2012 models on mine.

I actually bought paddle controls from AtGames for my flashback 5, wonder if they will work with the new Atari flashback 8? I think the paddles complete the package, making games like breakout and kaboom much more authentic.

They make it more than authentic. No paddle support would be an absolute deal breaker for me and is the reason I don't care for the portable. Why they even bother with paddle games on something like that boggles the mind IMO.

• Like 2

Just an FYI regarding rolling updates prior to production. In taking the opportunity to address the issues with the first production run for reviewers, AtGames has used the time to make many other improvements and changes. The Sega HD has been improved in every way (menu, performance, etc.) and is now the product it was always expected to be. I don't want to give away the final reveal, but let's just say those pesky bonus games won't be an issue anymore either.

The Atari HD is also being worked on now, although as I stated before and I think many of the reviews make clear, there were already far fewer issues with that production run. Nevertheless, there's time to make it better.

So, really, it should be quite interesting to see how the second round of reviews and the overall reaction shakes out. There's still no guarantee they'll be beloved products, of course, since a reputation is a hard thing to change, but these will at least finally be the best chance (like they were always meant to be) to change things.

Finally, no, I don't know when the new review units and pre-orders will roll out. When there's official word that I can share, I'll share it.

• Like 6

The issue right now is that no matter what improvements they made, video game websites have already branded AtGames as "bad." Don't buy. Tainted. I'm not sure where all the hate comes from, but it's as severe as it is irrational. I'm confounded by how much hate the "bonus games" get on the Genesis box. They may not be original Sega games but they're not all that bad. I actually have a good time loading up Canon every once in awhile or playing Air Hockey with my kid.

I'll probably pick up both units when they release in September. I've been pretty happy with my old AtGames console for years, and having one with HDMI will be even more convenient.

Looking forward to the updated unit and hope I can review it. Bill do you know if the console will support the Power Base mini? A small thing, but would allow SMS carts to be played on the console.

It does not. I tried it with the original Power Base and it just doesn't work. You would think it would just dump it like any other cartridge, but it doesn't recognize it.

The issue right now is that no matter what improvements they made, video game websites have already branded AtGames as "bad." Don't buy. Tainted. I'm not sure where all the hate comes from, but it's as severe as it is irrational. I'm confounded by how much hate the "bonus games" get on the Genesis box.

I'm curious why you're confounded by the hate the Sega models get? It's hardly confusing why the attitude exists and why it gave ATGames the branding of being 'bad.' I know finally this year they're just starting to try and correct the Sega problem but only decided to go 1/3 in on that given the SD console and handheld still. That'll be worse sending mixed signals outside of those who read stuff online. Out of the box the Sega units since day one have not saved on all battery games (still don't other than a hacked few), the audio has severe problems as well, and for those digging a bit on the SD loading would find some good stuff that isn't supported which is less right to complain over given it isn't official. The HD unit with the corrections should be a very fine example of where the Sega line on the whole should be, but given the Genesis has been out there almost a decade now with no fixes how could someone not hate on the thing as a Sega fan and why would that be irrational a device comes out year after year not fixing the same yearly complaints? Thankfully the HD unit appears to so it's a good start.

Edited by Tanooki

Wow, that is a lot longer than I was expecting. The PS4 has got me used to only 8-10 hours on a charge, while the PS3 ones would go about 30 hours.

Those are the numbers claimed in the manuals. I'm not sure where they got those figures from. I have no way to test the up to 150 hour claim myself, because even with the many hours I've put into the Sega HD testing recently, that's only like 8 - 10 hours of total usage. For what it's worth, the batteries are still just fine, although that's only a small fraction of what the up to claim is.

I'm curious why you're confounded by the hate the Sega models get?

Because I don't get it. A few years ago, I was in Sam's Club and saw this little box for sale that had a bunch of classic Genesis games on it, plus it could also play the old cartridges. For $40, it seemed like a fun little thing to have. I picked one up and for years have been delighted by this little AtGames box. I have my original Genesis still, but this thing is just so much more convenient. Then one day I saw reviews about it and people were crapping on this console all over the place. Apparently it was a piece of garbage. Apparently it wasn't worth turning on. I thought it was a marvel.

Now they're coming out with an HDMI version, and one of the things people keep crapping on is the "bonus games." Yes, I get it, they're not original Genesis games, but the level of hate aimed at them is completely irrational. So the thing includes Checkers and Chess... why call those games "complete trash"?

So yes, as an original Sega Genesis owner, and supporter, I am a bit confounded by the hate these things get.

• Like 2

Apparently some people prefer 25 original games (Big N) period over 50+ original games and 25 unrelated bonus games. In the beginning, thought those were Genesis homebrews which kind of had validated them, but I understand these are programmed for the mother hardware rather than within Genesis emulation?

Because I don't get it. A few years ago, I was in Sam's Club and saw this little box for sale that had a bunch of classic Genesis games on it, plus it could also play the old cartridges. For $40, it seemed like a fun little thing to have. I picked one up and for years have been delighted by this little AtGames box. I have my original Genesis still, but this thing is just so much more convenient. Then one day I saw reviews about it and people were crapping on this console all over the place. Apparently it was a piece of garbage. Apparently it wasn't worth turning on. I thought it was a marvel.

Now they're coming out with an HDMI version, and one of the things people keep crapping on is the "bonus games." Yes, I get it, they're not original Genesis games, but the level of hate aimed at them is completely irrational. So the thing includes Checkers and Chess... why call those games "complete trash"?

So yes, as an original Sega Genesis owner, and supporter, I am a bit confounded by the hate these things get.

Because anyone bothering to make a written or video review of something like this is (a) a spoiled brat, and (b) inclined towards outrageous hyperbole, because that's where the clicks and the likes and they funnies are.

The old SD consoles and portables don't sound great, but they play OK and at full speed. As you say, a marvel, especially at the near-nothing price, with legitimate licensing from the Sega (and Mortal Kombat) rights holders, and in wide distribution (no need to order sketchy stuff from China). Maybe it's an age thing -- I know that as an "older person," (genX) I still think miniaturization is still pretty amazing.

• Like 2

I'm not implying these things are perfect or that they don't have problems, but the level of hate raged against them is out of proportion to the actual problems that exist. Sure, half the games aren't originals, but that doesn't make them horrible. Like I said, Air Hockey is actually fun to play, even if it wasn't an original system game. Sure, the sound may not be perfect, but compared to the piece of trash TV we had in our bonus room that the Genesis was plugged into, it sounds just as I remember it.

Maybe it is a symptom of me just being old and remembering that back then, when these things were modern and not retro, you learned to live with things not being perfect. Hell, I used to have to change the channel of my TV with a pair of pliers because the knob broke off. I guess that's why I always get worked up when someone complains about the sound or some other small issue with these old consoles.

Remember sitting 2 feet away from a tiny TV that may or may not be in color?

Edited by vongruetz

Flojo, that is true, but it's also fair to say those who aren't grand standing attention whores on purpose have at least 2 valid points, the primary being the terribly off key/pitch audio, and also the no battery support including legitimate cartridges. Those are two big problems.

He's just far less picky about broken audio than others are so he's fine having an inaccurate product because it allows games to work on it. Don't have to agree with it, but it makes sense.

He's just far less picky about broken audio than others are so he's fine having an inaccurate product because it allows games to work on it. Don't have to agree with it, but it makes sense.

Lol. With some things, I'm definitely not picky at all. Bad audio is something I can live with. My biggest gripe with those systems was the IR controllers. They worked, but only if you kept them pointed at the receiver at all times. Fortunately I could plug in my old controllers andn they worked just fine.

• Like 1