IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

I like that the Gold box is distinctive. Anyone else think this:

http://www.atgames.us/Cashmere-Fabric-Interconnect-Chip-FIC-2100.htm

...is a little out of place on the main page?

Don't know if this was posted anywhere, but AtGames updated their website with information on the new Atari products, including box designs and price. Can't wait for the FB 8 Gold. Also, it looks like the portable has a new case design as well.

http://www.atgames.us

I like that the Gold box is distinctive. Anyone else this this:

http://www.atgames.us/Cashmere-Fabric-Interconnect-Chip-FIC-2100.htm

...is a little out of place on the main page?

I like all the box designs for the FB8. Especially the standard one with the red/white color scheme; it matches well with the Atari branding. Sadly, that's the one I'm skipping in favor for the HD edition.

Also, AtGames has a video on their Facebook showing a little demonstration of the FB8. Hopefully this link will work: https://www.facebook.com/ATGFlashback/videos/432901857071803/

Looks good, thanks for posting the links. The gold non-Activision box seems like an odd duck. Hopefully we can see a matrix with which box contains which game. I hope the big Activision box has everything the other ones do. I'm in for one of these for sure.

What to do with my 2014 editions?

• Like 3

Still no return of Battlezone, which typically is my most played game in the earlier Flashbacks and 2600 compilations. And I see no Namco games in the HD 2600 Flashback?

It's a minor point, but I really don't like how they do that. I'll begrudging give them retailer exclusive games if it's what it takes to get a retailer to stock the product, since without their support, there would be no Atari Flashback. And I'll even accept absent games in a lower tier product since we all know that their existing 2600 emulator was lackluster and can't play everything thrown at it.

But why wouldn't the expensive HD version at least have everything that the budget SD versions do?

And I hate to tell AtGames, but F-14 is not a trademark, so their renaming Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator to Dan Kitchen's Tomcat is completely pointless. F-14 is a model designation of the United States Department of Defense for a 1970's designed naval jet interceptor built by Grumman.

It's free and clear to use and is not Northrop Grumman's intellectual properly, unlike the likeness of the F-14 itself that is Northrop Grumman property and requires licensing these days after aircraft manufacturers took note of the explosion of PC flight sims in the mid 1990's and saw a revenue stream they weren't going after.

Edited by Atariboy

I am so excited for these products, sincerely. If I get the one Bill says to get -- the Gold Activision -- will I get all the games that are on all three versions?

Also, Bill (and everyone else), what do you think -- is this going to be difficult to get? If I don't get a presell right away, is this going to be like the NES Classic? I'm going to want to get two of them.

Of course, it's funny because I have the Activision/Atari games in other compilation formats, but there's just something about these Flashbaks that I love -- I love the redundancy of access, I love the convenience of having the games in this one device, etc.

By the way, the new Atari Portable, that looks great! I never get the first one, but it says it will have Dig Dug and Pac-Man. I don't think those two are on the Flashback, are they? Anyhow, I hope there isn't a frenzy surrounding these products -- I hope they sell a lot and do well in terms of ROIC for the company, but I am bad at fighting to get things before they hit the secondary market. And money is tight. I don't want to wish the summer away -- and I won't -- but oh how I have that can't-wait feeling right now...

There will be a pre-order (as of yet unannounced) for the Gold Activision system. Maybe around August. There should be no supply issues even if you decide to wait.

And yes, there are some games unique to the portable and vice-versa.

• Like 2

Still no return of Battlezone, which typically is my most played game in the earlier Flashbacks and 2600 compilations. And I see no Namco games in the HD 2600 Flashback?

It's a minor point, but I really don't like how they do that. I'll begrudging give them retailer exclusive games if it's what it takes to get a retailer to stock the product, since without their support, there would be no Atari Flashback. And I'll even accept absent games in a lower tier product since we all know that their existing 2600 emulator was lackluster and can't play everything thrown at it.

But why wouldn't the expensive HD version at least have everything that the budget SD versions do?

And I hate to tell AtGames, but F-14 is not a trademark, so their renaming Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator to Dan Kitchen's Tomcat is completely pointless. F-14 is a model designation of the United States Department of Defense for a 1970's designed naval jet interceptor built by Grumman.

It's free and clear to use and is not Northrop Grumman's intellectual properly, unlike the likeness of the F-14 itself that is Northrop Grumman property and requires licensing these days after aircraft manufacturers took note of the explosion of PC flight sims in the mid 1990's and saw a revenue stream they weren't going after.

Battlezone requires a separate license. It's just not cost effective for the one game.

The Namco stuff is only the portable.

The Activision HD product has the most games. It's just missing a few of the titles on the portable, which conversely has the fewest games. Again, quirks of the licensing deal(s). We all know IP and licensing deals are a damned mess most of the time.

Tomcat was licensed from Activision to their specifications.

• Like 6

Out of just plain curiosity with no criticism of AtGames intended, any reason why they just didn't go with Ms. Pac-Man? Unlike Atari Pac-Man, this one was an excellent effort and wouldn't require utilizing an unfamiliar homebrew that the audience didn't play back in the day in order to provide a decent experience.

I understand that Battlezone is a separate license these days due to corporate foolishness, but it's such a good effort and one worth attempting to secure. I hope they've at least approached Rebellion, since they might be surprised if they did. There's value there in the Battlezone brand by keeping the iconic arcade and 2600 classic accessible, so I wouldn't automatically assume that Rebellion would even require money to be exchanged to use what's now their IP.

Some of these companies get this stuff once in a while. Witness Capcom granting Activision free permission to include Commando on Activision Anthology for the PS2 for one such example. Capcom knew it wouldn't hurt them if Activision's old 2600 conversion of Commando reappeared, yet they also realized that it wasn't a hidden gold mine.

But you first have to ask in order for something like this to happen. So I hope they've at least done that. :)

Edited by Atariboy

Looks good, thanks for posting the links. The gold non-Activision box seems like an odd duck. Hopefully we can see a matrix with which box contains which game. I hope the big Activision box has everything the other ones do. I'm in for one of these for sure.

The Activision version has all the games the Gold version has, plus additional Activision games. That's the one to get for the most complete library. The Portable has a few unique titles, but far fewer than either of the HD consoles (or the SD console for that matter).

Any reason why they just didn't go with Ms. Pac-Man?

Unlike Atari Pac-Man, this one was an excellent effort and wouldn't require utilizing an unfamiliar homebrew that the audience didn't play back in the day to provide a decent experience.

I understand that Battlezone is a separate license these days due to corporate foolishness, but it's such a good effort and one worth attempting to secure. I hope they've at least approached Rebellion, since they might be surprised if they did. There's value there in the Battlezone brand by keeping the iconic arcade and 2600 classic accessible, so I wouldn't automatically assume that Rebellion would even require money to be exchanged to use what's now their IP.

Ms Pac-Man was not available.

Unfortunately, even when deals are struck, not every title is made available. You'll see that with some other licensees for future products we have in the planning stages.

• Like 2

The Activision version has all the games the Gold version has, plus additional Activision games. That's the one to get for the most complete library. The Portable has a few unique titles, but far fewer than either of the HD consoles (or the SD console for that matter).

Oh good. I'm on that when the pre order goes up.

The portable looks a lot like the 2016 version. For that console, I might stick with what I have.

Thanks for the info, Bill.

Regarding the screenshot of the portable -- is that Xevious at the end?

Thanks Bill for your reply, I appreciate it and all of your work. And at first I wondered about whether the 2600 Pac-Man should have been the one included, but then after thinking/imagining what your reasons might be to advise against it, I came to the conclusion that you are probably correct in that assessment.

• Like 2

It shows the Atari Pac Man box but the screenshot looks like it's a home brew from AA

Holy farts, what appears to be this:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229152-new-pacman-for-atari-2600/

:o :o :o

Unless they googled a screenshot and this popped up. Dintar816 should feel flattered... :cool:

It's a licensed homebrew. I advised against including the original Pac-Man (which can of course be run off the SD card if one wanted) for a variety of reasons.

:lust: :lust: :lust:

Most people after 35 years pick up Pacman for Atari and say "I don't remember it being this bad." Now people will pick up Pacman and say "I don't remember it being this good!" :grin:

• Like 2

If you're not sick and tired of questions yet, any hints about the fate of an Intellivision Flashback 2? Sounded like the possibility was in play a few weeks ago and could go either way.

If we don't see it next week, I would assume we don't see it this year. AtGames seems to have a very consistent annual release schedule.

I'd rather wait for a good one (as the new Gold Atari Flashbacks seem to be) than just get a rerun of the 2014 version.

• Like 1

Right and did you notice At Games has them both listed at $80? I'll take he one with 10 more games please! ;)

• Like 1