IGNORED

O/T: Not A Happy Birthday

Eric7100

It is so heartbreaking each day to watch Salt physically shrivel up and become a shell of her former shelf. She can't walk, she can't eat, and she can't even keep her eyes open. She has lost her voice, and her breathing sounds strained. I have to force-feed her two meals a day, usually by shoving the food down her throat. Because she can barely stand, she falls down into her own waste whenever she tries to go to the bathroom, so I am constantly washing her. When she sleeps, I have to keep checking whether she is still alive. She was mistaken to be deceased several times. The process of watching a dog in its final days is one of the hardest things I have ever experienced. My heart aches for her.

It is so heartbreaking each day to watch Salt physically shrivel up and become a shell of her former shelf. She can't walk, she can't eat, and she can't even keep her eyes open. She has lost her voice, and her breathing sounds strained. I have to force-feed her two meals a day, usually by shoving the food down her throat. Because she can barely stand, she falls down into her own waste whenever she tries to go to the bathroom, so I am constantly washing her. When she sleeps, I have to keep checking whether she is still alive. She was mistaken to be deceased several times. The process of watching a dog in its final days is one of the hardest things I have ever experienced. My heart aches for her.

I can feel your pain Eric, it may be time for you to lay her down to rest and for her to sore with the angles... Its one of the hardest decisions to make.. We had to make a decision like that with our dog Danser who was 18 years old...

Its Tough brother,

Tough but it may be the right thing to do for Salt....

• Like 2

I feel for you also Eric. Hang in there. I wish I could say something to make things better for you. I do know that over time your great memories of the two of you together will help ease the pain you're experiencing right now.

• Like 1

Before, it was just speculation. Now, it is official. Salt is in her final days. She returned from her final oncology appointment today, with her oncologist telling me that he can't treat her anymore. Her problems are neurological, but the general anesthesia that is required for a MRI would kill her. Realistically, he wouldn't be able to treat her neurological problem, anyway. Furthermore, Salt has become anemic, due to a lack of eating. He recommended euthanizing her, but I have already decided to let God choose the moment of her final breath. Salt was sent home today with one mission only - to die. I hope that I can be by her side when it happens. Salt's oncologist said that she could not have asked for a better father. I will always remember those words. The next time that I report about Salt, it will be to announce her death.

Before, it was just speculation. Now, it is official. Salt is in her final days. She returned from her final oncology appointment today, with her oncologist telling me that he can't treat her anymore. Her problems are neurological, but the general anesthesia that is required for a MRI would kill her. Realistically, he wouldn't be able to treat her neurological problem, anyway. Furthermore, Salt has become anemic, due to a lack of eating. He recommended euthanizing her, but I have already decided to let God choose the moment of her final breath. Salt was sent home today with one mission only - to die. I hope that I can be by her side when it happens. Salt's oncologist said that she could not have asked for a better father. I will always remember those words. The next time that I report about Salt, it will be to announce her death.

SO SORRY to Hear Eric, stay close to Salt and the Doctor was right Salt was lucky to have you and as you were lucky to have Salt... Stay Strong Eric.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have received the best Christmas present ever. Salt is doing much, much better. Nearly all of her health issues are miraculously resolving themselves. It looks like she's going to be around for awhile, and that means I get to spend more time with her. I couldn't be happier about this. Thank you all for the prayers.

• Like 5

I have received the best Christmas present ever. Salt is doing much, much better. Nearly all of her health issues are miraculously resolving themselves. It looks like she's going to be around for awhile, and that means I get to spend more time with her. I couldn't be happier about this. Thank you all for the prayers.

Great great news Eric ! Happy Christmas !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is time for your prayers once again. Following a full recovery of her recent illness, Salt developed a corneal ulcer in December, which has progressed to a descemetocele (a partial rupture of the inner liquids of the eye). Without surgery, a complete rupture will eventually occur, which will cause the eye to collapse, and its entire contents will drain out, destroying the eye. I have scheduled an emergency surgery for Monday morning. The risk of death under general anesthesia is great, given Salt's age and recent conditions. However, I have no choice. This is my only chance to save her eye. Even if I would let nature take its course, and purposely allow the eye to completely rupture, then she would be facing another surgery to remove the eye. A surgery is required in either case, but at this point, I can still attempt to save the eye, rather than remove it. Although the corneal ulcer and the surgical procedure will not kill her, I am in great fear of her life's journey coming to an end, due to the effects of general anesthesia. Please pray that Salt remains on this Earth past Monday.