IGNORED

O/T: Not A Happy Birthday

Eric7100

• 2 weeks later...

On Monday, we will remove the flap over Salt's eye. I am extremely nervous about the potential for poor results. Salt's eye does not look good to me, currently. She could easily risk losing the eye, if the cornea has already "melted" behind the flap. I really hope that I am wrong. Prayers, please.

Prayers and Positive Energy for Salt !!!

• Like 2

I lost my Sheltie of 12 years last year to a brutal battle with what started as Rhinitis. They thought it was cancer but the biopsy came back negative. They insisted it must be cancer so I brought him in for another biopsy and they over anesthetized him and killed him. I never got to say good bye to my best friend and I'm still heart broken over it. I went into a depression and punished myself for almost a year. I now have another Sheltie and he has helped me get back to normal. I have to say, spend all of the quality time you can with Salt while you can and enjoy every minute! I hope she heals up soon.

• Like 3

I lost my Sheltie of 12 years last year to a brutal battle with what started as Rhinitis. They thought it was cancer but the biopsy came back negative. They insisted it must be cancer so I brought him in for another biopsy and they over anesthetized him and killed him. I never got to say good bye to my best friend and I'm still heart broken over it. I went into a depression and punished myself for almost a year. I now have another Sheltie and he has helped me get back to normal. I have to say, spend all of the quality time you can with Salt while you can and enjoy every minute! I hope she heals up soon.

You and I can relate, I bet, especially about the depression. It is very easy for me to slip in and out.

I also have a Sheltie named Lassie, who is just one year old. She is a great caretaker for Salt when I am not around.

Thank you for your kind words, my friend.

Salt's eye is still intact, and the descemetocele (partial rupture of the inner liquids of the eye) has regressed back into the eye. This is good news. However, the corneal ulcer is not healing as it should be. An appointment with an ophthalmologist is now required. This would be at a veterinary facility near Philadelphia, or at the University of Pennsylvania itself. Salt may have to be admitted as an emergency patient, in order to expedite the process of being seen by an ophthalmologist. All of them have extremely busy schedules. I have no further information at this time.

sorry to hear about your dog eric. She sounds like a fighter. We had to hopspitalize my cat holly the other week with stage ii renal failure. She was dehydrated and constipated and the vet kept her four days. She is still young at nine years to be having trouble but since we brought her home shes been happy and drinking water and a complete turnaround with the followup bloodwork showing a healthy cat, so good to know well have her and her brother chris for at least a few more years... :^3

• Like 1

Salt now has an appointment scheduled for Friday with an ophthalmologist in Philadelphia. It sucks that I have to lose a day's work, because with all of her surgeries, treatments, and medications, I need all the money that I can get.

Hoping all goes well for Salt this Friday. ??

• Like 1

Salt is back from her ophthalmology appointment. The ophthalmologist's findings are good news. Salt's recent corneal surgery was successful. The ulcer is healing nicely. The risk of eye rupture has greatly diminished. Salt was given more powerful eye drops to strengthen the cornea, promote cell tissue growth, and prevent bacterial infections. The ophthalmologist will need to see her once a month. Due to Salt's age, concurrent health issues, and continued steroid use, the ulcer is expected to take a long time (several months) to completely resolve itself. But she is expected to make a full recovery!

• Like 3

Yay Salt!!! So glad to hear things are looking up. We lost five dogs and a cat in the last year (the beautiful girl in my avatar just died last month from cancer at only nine years old), so I understand exactly what you've been feeling while going through this. These short lifespans are so unfair. I'd give anything to be able to make them live twice or three times as long.

Me and our remaining crew of six cats, four dogs, four birds, two bunnies and a horse will be sending positive Salt vibes your way.

Edited by Disco Scottie
  • Like 4

These short lifespans are so unfair. I'd give anything to be able to make them live twice or three times as long.

I know how you feel. When we lost our dog last year a friend of mine said something that really hit home and made me feel better about the unavoidable loss of our pets;

"They are given less time so that we can provide happy lives for more of them."

I've never heard it explained any better than that.

Edited by the1hatman
  • Like 3

Yay Salt!!! So glad to hear things are looking up. We lost five dogs and a cat in the last year (the beautiful girl in my avatar just died last month from cancer at only nine years old), so I understand exactly what you've been feeling while going through this. These short lifespans are so unfair. I'd give anything to be able to make them live twice or three times as long.

Me and our remaining crew of six cats, four dogs, four birds, two bunnies and a horse will be sending positive Salt vibes your way.

What a pretty dog! Sorry to hear the bad news. But thank you for the positive vibes!

• 1 month later...