IGNORED

Colecovision malfuctioning - Request for assistance

alortegac

Dear expert and knowledgeable members of this forum, I request your for assistance in diagnosis of the illness my colecovision is suffering from. I hope it can be rescued from going into the recycle bin,.

The logic of my system seems to working fine but the picture is scrambled. Reading games, etc. However, please see pictures attached as description of the problem, I am getting characters and odd colors..... I will be grateful about any guidance on the root cause of this problem and its potential solutions. I have already cleaned the power button. I do think that is the problem. Also power supply is working fine, tested.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

post-44601-0-68536500-1479925031_thumb.jpg

post-44601-0-17375900-1479925050_thumb.jpg

post-44601-0-88279100-1479925066_thumb.jpg

thank you very much for your advise.

1.- New Ram is on order from Console5./ thanks!

2.- Power switch has been cleaned and multiple power supplies have been tried. thanks!

3.- Chart45. thank you very much for this information. Although I do not have equipment to check frequencies, trouble shooting described will help me.

thank you all, keep you posted.

Al

It is a replacement video display processor. It is an FPGA board that emulates the stock VDP but adds several features such as extended color palattes and smooth scrolling for games that are programmed to take advantage of it. It also provides a flicker free VGA output since it allows 32 sprites to be drawn at a time instead of 4.

They are still available, but I'm unavailable to ship them until Dec 12. I apologize for the inconvenience. I plan to make the F18A available until there is no longer any interest, which has not happened yet. In the meantime, you should take Bmack36 up on his offer since he has some for sale too.

• Like 1

Chat45, why do you thing it look more a power issue than ram? What kind of power issue? Replacement of power capacitors? I could not clearly identify the problem in the screen pictures listed in the manual. They are not very clear but my console does not have scrambled characters only color dots and the grid.

thanks!

• 1 month later...

Success!!

Sorry it took me some time to report back, I have been pretty busy. Finally, yesterday I completed the replacement of the memory using the kit I purchased from Console5. Please see the pictures....It worked great. I also mod AV with my own kit as I was on it.

Any feedback about replacing the BIOS chip with the NO DELAY BIOS? I did not do it because I honestly do not see much benefit vs. the risk of damaging the board in the process.......thoughts?

post-44601-0-13296000-1485180190_thumb.jpg

post-44601-0-07582100-1485180194_thumb.jpg

Edited by alortegac
  • Like 3

The BIOS mod isn't bad at all, not any worse than desoldering the old RAM, which you've already done and is a little more tricky IMHO. Other than desoldering and socketing, the only other thing you have to do is cut a couple traces and jumper a couple other connections. That's it, easy peesy! I have the press Fire intro skip BIOS and a no delay BIOS (skips completely), so there's options as far as that goes. Dual BIOS would be a cool mod but I've never tried that one (I posted a couple pics of it below). Anyways, it's not a hard mod, just take care when desoldering and cutting traces.. It's pretty much fool proof other than those 2 things. Good luck!

post-37932-0-16669400-1485186850_thumb.jpgpost-37932-0-65588500-1485186876_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all your help! I a really appreciate it. I still have double vision due to the 128 pins that I had to de-solder very carefully LOL...;)....I am going to purchase the IC and do the bios mod in a couple of weeks. thanks again also for sharing on the dual bios pics...honestly I did not know about it at all.

Best of luck!!

Al

The BIOS mod isn't bad at all, not any worse than desoldering the old RAM, which you've already done and is a little more tricky IMHO. Other than desoldering and socketing, the only other thing you have to do is cut a couple traces and jumper a couple other connections. That's it, easy peesy! I have the press Fire intro skip BIOS and a no delay BIOS (skips completely), so there's options as far as that goes. Dual BIOS would be a cool mod but I've never tried that one (I posted a couple pics of it below). Anyways, it's not a hard mod, just take care when desoldering and cutting traces.. It's pretty much fool proof other than those 2 things. Good luck!

attachicon.gifpost-4311-1127585834.jpgattachicon.gifpost-4311-1127585814.jpg

Do you know if these boards are still available to buy and if so, where from please? Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think that particular dual BIOs board is available anymore. I'm not sure who even made it.. I saved those pictures a long time ago after stumbling across it on the web. Wish I knew though, I'd have one myself. I think there's a different way to do it that's a little more crude but I can't really remember. I'd see what you can dig up through a Google search.