IGNORED

FlappyBird test

tonma

Nice haha, congratulations on your first Lynx minigame! ^^ Did you make the graphics yourself too or did you rip it from another version? I found it a bit easier than some versions since the birds nose doesn't dive down after each flap. But anyways it's a nice demo!

It would be nice to have some music and/or sfx in it. Sage's 'Chipper' (Lynx tracker) is pretty neat to create music with and export to code, but personally I don't know how to make tunes and have sfx side by side with that one yet. Then there's Karri's abc music, it's easy to understand but a bit harder to write songs with, but with abc music you can easily have one channel for one sound effect :P

• Like 1

There's some info on using both abc music and chipper in this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/189223-abcmusic-sound-effects/

I would say it's faster and easier creating music with chipper nowadays, but I think abc music still has it's uses. You should be able to see how to implement abc from pegsolitaire: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/193442-peg-solitaire-source/%C2%A0

• Like 1

Looks great, play is impossible. Good luck with the progress, I'm looking forward to an end version. Wasn't there talk of flappy mcfur going over to lynx?

It isn't on our to-do list, but it is on a list of projects we may get to eventually. Sorry for the vagueness, but we are currently deciding what we want to do next.

@tonma Gave this a go recently, great job! Have you considered formatting the game to be vertical rather than horizontal?

• Like 2

Thanks. For the gameplay I don't know because I've never played with the original or another version of flappy.

@lachoneus thanks, but it's really a test for developping an another game. As I can't be able to create music, I have begin the vertical version and certainly will be working on it this week-end. I only need to rotate my sprites and find how change the orientation of text. I know I need the use TGI_TEXT_VERTICAL = 1 or something in the textstyle, but doesn't find a way yet.

lynx0013.png

I've also beginning the dev on jaguar with jagbuntu. Excellent tools. For now I'm waiting to find a jaguar console for the dev.

• Like 2

Great project!

Curious what other things you're planning to do.

A headsup for when you're considering to work on a bigger project, make sure you have your sound/music working. I thought I'd do that part towards the end, but it turned out to be the worst challenge to make it work.

• Like 1

You should really have a look at SASS music also. I have not used it yet but it has more features than any other packet. It is really a sound language with priorities for the sounds. I may be wrong here but I believe that you can even stream sounds directly from the cart,

Zaku is the best known SASS user.

• Like 1

Great project!

Curious what other things you're planning to do.

A headsup for when you're considering to work on a bigger project, make sure you have your sound/music working. I thought I'd do that part towards the end, but it turned out to be the worst challenge to make it work.

I will working on a single screen platform game. One like switchblade, antiriad, ... no scrolling but old school feeling with room to discover. And the music will be certainly the most challenging for me. I need to find a "free" midi file and try to convert to lynx style.

@karri I'll try the sass language, if I can add some digitized sound, that will be great. I'll need to find long hours of free time to work on it

A fast test of vertical screen. And good vertical text with the big help of karri.

I only changed the first digits and the outputtext function as you can see on the title screen. I'll only need to change the direction of the gravity in the game.

lynx0110.png

Ah yeah! That feels so good.

• Like 1

New version with new gravity and nose dive feature.

I remove collision for test;

I only need to replace the columns in right position and change the font to vertical. I'll try to finish it this week-end. And after the music.

You can test the new version on my first post. I've not yet test it on real hardware but I have no slowdown with mednafen.

video here : https://youtu.be/QYXYW9j12i0

Oups. I can only edit my last post ... So I put the new link here.

post-44532-0-43453000-1480695274.gif

flapvert.zip

Edited by tonma
  • Like 3

A fast test of vertical screen. And good vertical text with the big help of karri.

I only changed the first digits and the outputtext function as you can see on the title screen. I'll only need to change the direction of the gravity in the game.

lynx0110.png

Given that the whole purpose of Flappy Bird is to dodge pipes, I'm not sure how vertical orientation will benefit the gameplay. If anything it will be much harder given that a horizontal screen allows up to three pipes onscreen but vertical will be two at best.

But that gives me an idea for a new spinoff.***

Floppy Stork, where you are in freefall through the gaps between pipes. This time Flappy stork cannot actually fly due to the baby he is carrying in the sack is packing extra weight. So you glide downwards using left and right to alternately flap each wing. This alters the course of the glide enough to access the narrow path between pipes. Of course just like Flappy Bird, the first stage is endless, but it would add a layer of complexity and strategy by adding an extra button. A press left or right will yield a swift flap in the intended direction, while your character continues to glide down slowly moving opposite the direction last pressed. Pressing left for instance would provide a quick burst of speed to the left then a slow rightward descent. Pressing right would have the opposite effect, a quick burst to the right then a slow leftward descent, keeping the physics engine just wacky enough to make it challenging. Timing would still be critical but a vertical two button game held sideways would be a neat twist.

***Any homebrew developer for any system, feel free to use my "Floppy Stork" concept... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Given that the whole purpose of Flappy Bird is to dodge pipes, I'm not sure how vertical orientation will benefit the gameplay. If anything it will be much harder given that a horizontal screen allows up to three pipes onscreen but vertical will be two at best.

But that gives me an idea for a new spinoff.***

Floppy Stork, where you are in freefall through the gaps between pipes. This time Flappy stork cannot actually fly due to the baby he is carrying in the sack is packing extra weight. So you glide downwards using left and right to alternately flap each wing. This alters the course of the glide enough to access the narrow path between pipes. Of course just like Flappy Bird, the first stage is endless, but it would add a layer of complexity and strategy by adding an extra button. A press left or right will yield a swift flap in the intended direction, while your character continues to glide down slowly moving opposite the direction last pressed. Pressing left for instance would provide a quick burst of speed to the left then a slow rightward descent. Pressing right would have the opposite effect, a quick burst to the right then a slow leftward descent, keeping the physics engine just wacky enough to make it challenging. Timing would still be critical but a vertical two button game held sideways would be a neat twist.

***Any homebrew developer for any system, feel free to use my "Floppy Stork" concept... :thumbsup:

The only reason why I suggested a vertical format is because the original game used it as well. It also had two sets of pipes on screen. (I am not implying it is the best design though, and I am sure there is room for improvement).

When working on Flappy McFur we used it as a way to alter the difficulty, Flappy McFur has only one set of pipes on screen at any point and it plays well.

• Like 3

Thank you very much for testing on a real hardware.

The speed is bizarre, I use the vblank of the tgi which must have a constant framerate by default.

I worked on music this week. Hum hum just bep bep sounds. When I add music, the game is much faster, unplayably fast. Amazing, normally playing music should slow down !!! Because it takes resources. :?

• Like 1