IGNORED

Thoughts on "Ali Baba and the Forty Theives" (Stuart Smith)?

Link6415

This is one of those games that's sometimes my favorite, but always in my top five. I've only ever played the Commodore 64 version, but I know the original was on the Atari 8 bit systems. The Commodore 64 version doesn't work with SD card readers or the like. Does the Atari version work with Lotharek's Sio2PC USB? (If someone wants to try, I think you can download the game here: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-ali-baba-and-the-forty-thieves_173.html).

Anyway, I love the feeling of the game, and the simplistic graphics, and the colors used (especially in the Atari version). Its quite immersive. Well, I'm not much of a writer, but I'd love to read your thoughts and memories of this game, and if you have any interesting information about the game or the author, Stuart Smith (both of which appear to be scarce) that'd be great too. I know Mr. Smith also wrote a game called "Fracas" for the Apple II, "The Return of Heracles" (which is good too, but I like Ali Baba better), and "Adventure Construction Set".

Here's a map that I found online:

post-43309-0-83928200-1480096798_thumb.png

Edited by Link6415
  • Like 1

I played Ali Baba for years off and on, but I never really got into it until I picked up Return of Heracles, which I'm guessing is the same author, and is a much more streamlined game. While I haven't finished either of these games, I've probably played Heracles further than I've played Ali Baba.

I wish someone would remake the game and do a more modern save game system.

Oh look, here's a map for heracles:

Return Of Heracles MAP TRIAD

Edited by Android8675

• 1 year later...

Fracas was the first of the group but I believe only on AppleII. I was hoping Kroah would have deconstructed this game and fracas like he did for ROH. I want to try to reconstruct on ACS. One could probably do a closer job with ACK. Tbh, I’d like to see a more windows based win7,8,10 ACK. I realize there are other construction sets like rpg maker but it seems heard more to JRPG style and not the tone or pacing like ACS.

i wish I could find the Azalta creator and get the construction set for that. Combat is odd and even has party based combat.

Edited by McDeath

This is one of those games that's sometimes my favorite, but always in my top five. I've only ever played the Commodore 64 version, but I know the original was on the Atari 8 bit systems. The Commodore 64 version doesn't work with SD card readers or the like. Does the Atari version work with Lotharek's Sio2PC USB? (If someone wants to try, I think you can download the game here: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-ali-baba-and-the-forty-thieves_173.html).

Anyway, I love the feeling of the game, and the simplistic graphics, and the colors used (especially in the Atari version). Its quite immersive. Well, I'm not much of a writer, but I'd love to read your thoughts and memories of this game, and if you have any interesting information about the game or the author, Stuart Smith (both of which appear to be scarce) that'd be great too. I know Mr. Smith also wrote a game called "Fracas" for the Apple II, "The Return of Heracles" (which is good too, but I like Ali Baba better), and "Adventure Construction Set".

Here's a map that I found online:

attachicon.gifalibaba.png

i meant to ask if there was a Return of Heracles map out there too? That saves some time for drawing regions on ACS.

The ATR of Ali Baba I downloaded also runs instantly from an UnoCart (and I assume other multi-carts).

When I played Ali Baba in the 80s, I had to boot AtariTranslator or FixXL first. Then I could boot the game disk. Ali Baba was written for the 800 (pre-XL).

Since the ROM I downloaded boots right from a cartridge, I'm not sure if it was fixed to work with XLs, or perhaps the UnoCart somehow boots the XL fix as a BIOS.

Any ideas on this? I haven't burned my downloaded AliBaba ATR onto a blank floppy, to see if it boots without an 800 translator. Maybe I'll try that now that I think of it.

Regardles...GREAT game to play during the golden age of Advanced D&D.

Edited by TopGunBBS86

They BiTD were not really my sort of games but as I've almost mellowed (almost) I give these a bash and found them quite satisfying, simple in style but actually more in depth than they look..

I also suggest a look at this game, Orb of Zarramier by a Michael King, not because I had a hand in getting it published but because Mick ( how I knew Michael) put a load of work in to it but considering he was a traffic Policeman on the Motorways near me I imagine it was the only work he did :)

Its a really nice little game....Not without the odd issue but stands up well..

Nice bloke too, saw this off and on through its creation and I'd just been dealing with Futureware on another game and a review so put Mick their way...

Orb_of_Zarramier.zip

• Like 1