BIGHMW

For me, it would be

Venture

Phoenix

Yars' Revenge

Food Fight

Quantum

Liberator

RealSports Hockey (why is "the coolest game on earth" being left out in the cold???)

Marble Madness (would go absolutely superb with the Trak-Ball)

Galaga (the Sequel to Galaxian)

Frenzy (the sequel to Berzerk)

Omega Race

and

Bomb Jack (I remember this 24-hour store in 1985 that had it in store)

• Like 2

It would be interesting to see quasi-sequels to 2600 games, that we never got on 5200. New stuff, not ports from A8 which we could have played for years anyway.

Venture (recent) homebrew was very well done, although I'm not sure if the 5200 version ever did get released on cart? I played it on A8 (testing the work-in-progress) and even then it had great music and faithful gameplay.

Yars Revenge II would be great! It can't be just a straight port though. There have been some ideas floating around already.

I'd love to play a 2-player simultaneous 5200 Reactor with great Pokey sounds & tunes. And with somewhat more forgiving collision / gameplay since the 5200 sticks are hard to use.

Any new / decent racing game would be great. Doesn't have to be a watered-down arcade port. Where there ever any A8 racers which had Outrun-style rolling hills?

For sports, well no sense on trying a new Baseball game because Realsports Baseball 5200 is already very fun. I never got into RS Football. Does it have a 1-player mode? Can't remember. RS Soccer has aged badly (its too slow and clunky), and we never got a RS Hockey - so my wish is for RS Hockey! It would be a great idea with Genesis EA NHL-style vertically scrolling playfield!

I wonder if there will ever be another new 5200 game that isn't an A8 port. Maybe not.

• Like 2

Gauntlet that works for 1-4 players would be great.

Avalanche.

Asteroids Arcade, with Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe.

A 5200 port of Maze Craze. Because, why not? :)

As the proud owner of a 4-port unit I can already play Asteroids and Super Breakout, but yes, Gauntlet would be perfect for it, I haven't played it for sooooooooooooo long!!!

• Like 2

I would love to see someone attempt to do Baby Pac-Man, the one with the mini-pinball machine attached.

Other arcade ports that I would love to see are Zookeeper and Lock 'n' Chase. I am strongly considering doing a version of Lock 'n' Chase myself sometime in the near future.

i would love Wizard of Wor with the voices. unless that alrady exists.

I already have the CBS-produced 5200 version of it but it doesn't have voice so a Wizard Of Wor hack to include voice integrated into the current port could hang in the balance

Also, a new port of Gorf would be nice, this new port to (FINALLY!) include the Galaxian phase (phase 3 or 5) of gameplay like the arcade version has, and also the voice it has too, although the CBS version did play great but the controls were very too touchy since it incorporated the analog technology of the stock stick (like Super Breakout and Missile Command also did), thus not allowing either a digital (8-directional) stick (with Redemption 5200) or any Atari 2600-compatible (either from Atari or from Wico) trak-ball use for it.

(edited to correct spelling errors)

Edited by BIGHMW

Games I want to see for 5200 = all of them. :)

Especially Rainbow Walker.

A few years ago, I asked someone (I think Steven Tucker) about the possibility of converting Rainbow Walker to 5200. He said he had started on it but the code was some sort of convoluted mess that defied unraveling.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 2

Games I want to see for 5200 = all of them. :)

Especially Rainbow Walker.

A few years ago, I asked someone (I think Steven Tucker) about the possibility of converting Rainbow Walker to 5200. He said he had started on it but the code was some sort of convoluted mess that defied unraveling.

The conversion has been up since around Feb...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248782-rainbow-walker/

Harvey

• Like 1

BIGHMW: Bomb Jack looks cool. I wonder if the 5200 could actually do it well?

I also second Marble Madness (w/ Trak-Ball support), Crystal Castles (w/ Trak-Ball), Galaga and (if it would run on a 5200) Space Harrier. And how about RealSports Air Hockey (instead of RS Hockey)???

Instead of Gauntlet, how about a conversion of Dandy? I imagine it would still support four players and you wouldn't have to reach for a keyboard to set off bombs or restore your health.

As I understand it, any time speech is used in a game, it takes so much memory that the game usually needs to freeze for a moment to let it happen (ex: Berzerk).

Would it be possible to make a decent three-player Rampage? I've heard mixed reviews about Rampage for the Atari computers...some like it, some don't. I think that version has a two-player mode.

How about porting over that XL / XE Dr. Mario some people made a few years ago? And I've never been able to find out if this version has a good two-player mode. And could the game be expanded to add up to four-player capabilities?

Cafeman: RS Football has either a two-player mode or a one-player "practice" mode (where you pick plays for offense & defense but can only run offense). This game moves slowly and it would be cool to see someone make a better football game. I don't know if the 5200 could do anything that plays like either Tecmo Super Bowl or 10 Yard Fight, but either of these would be a nice addition for the system. If anyone ever does make a new football game for the 5200, they should do the right thing and take their inspiration (and player rosters) from the short-lived United States Football League, which was active around about the same time as the 5200. So my last suggested game title is USFL '84.

• Like 2

I'd like to see a faithful port of Space Fury , Colecovision touted theirs as being like the arcade which is an exaggeration at best, the alien doesn't even talk and game play falls short !

Bump and Jump for sure as Coleco missed on that one too. 2600 blows it out of the water.

I'll think of a few more I am sure and will post.

BIGHMW: Bomb Jack looks cool. I wonder if the 5200 could actually do it well?

I also second Marble Madness (w/ Trak-Ball support), Crystal Castles (w/ Trak-Ball), Galaga and (if it would run on a 5200) Space Harrier. And how about RealSports Air Hockey (instead of RS Hockey)???

Instead of Gauntlet, how about a conversion of Dandy? I imagine it would still support four players and you wouldn't have to reach for a keyboard to set off bombs or restore your health.

As I understand it, any time speech is used in a game, it takes so much memory that the game usually needs to freeze for a moment to let it happen (ex: Berzerk).

Would it be possible to make a decent three-player Rampage? I've heard mixed reviews about Rampage for the Atari computers...some like it, some don't. I think that version has a two-player mode.

How about porting over that XL / XE Dr. Mario some people made a few years ago? And I've never been able to find out if this version has a good two-player mode. And could the game be expanded to add up to four-player capabilities?

Cafeman: RS Football has either a two-player mode or a one-player "practice" mode (where you pick plays for offense & defense but can only run offense). This game moves slowly and it would be cool to see someone make a better football game. I don't know if the 5200 could do anything that plays like either Tecmo Super Bowl or 10 Yard Fight, but either of these would be a nice addition for the system. If anyone ever does make a new football game for the 5200, they should do the right thing and take their inspiration (and player rosters) from the short-lived United States Football League, which was active around about the same time as the 5200. So my last suggested game title is USFL '84.

How about Cyberball: 2072 instead??? Also, a 5200 trak-ball/analog stick-supported port of Arkanoid, THE best ever variation of Breakout/Super Breakout on the planet!!!

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 2