IGNORED

Games YOU want to see for the 5200

BIGHMW

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely Yar's Revenge. Also Galaga, Atlantis, Stargate (defender II), Starmaster, Chopper Command, Pong, Battlezone (released, not just a prototype) or Robot Tank, and Tetris. Oh, and also Custer's Revenge (joking lol).

Edited by Atarikid96
  • Like 1

I am leaning towards a racing game as there is not enough , Pole Position for the 5200 is okay but perhaps something could be ported like P.Position II, Sprint/Championship Sprint, or something in the style of Outrun or Victory Run

Edited by R.O.T.S
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Crystal Castles is already available for the 5200 (8-bit conversion?). But it doesn't support the trackball so we need someone to add trackball support.

Both Atari 8-bit versions - and even the 2600 version too! - of Crystal Castles are considered *too* CPU-intense for the Trak-Ball to work with it. You'd have to pack in some sort of chip into the cartridge to just work with the Trak-Ball, and that would be a difficult task w/o CPU lines in the cartridge slot like the 7800. Or, go a hardware mod to the console and slap in a 65816.

Of course, you could *cheat* and use the CPU in the AtariMax SD Cart but that would preclude a stand-alone physical cartridge release.

BIGHMW: Bomb Jack looks cool. I wonder if the 5200 could actually do it well?

I also second Marble Madness (w/ Trak-Ball support), Crystal Castles (w/ Trak-Ball), Galaga and (if it would run on a 5200) Space Harrier. And how about RealSports Air Hockey (instead of RS Hockey)???

Instead of Gauntlet, how about a conversion of Dandy? I imagine it would still support four players and you wouldn't have to reach for a keyboard to set off bombs or restore your health.

As I understand it, any time speech is used in a game, it takes so much memory that the game usually needs to freeze for a moment to let it happen (ex: Berzerk).

Would it be possible to make a decent three-player Rampage? I've heard mixed reviews about Rampage for the Atari computers...some like it, some don't. I think that version has a two-player mode.

How about porting over that XL / XE Dr. Mario some people made a few years ago? And I've never been able to find out if this version has a good two-player mode. And could the game be expanded to add up to four-player capabilities?

Cafeman: RS Football has either a two-player mode or a one-player "practice" mode (where you pick plays for offense & defense but can only run offense). This game moves slowly and it would be cool to see someone make a better football game. I don't know if the 5200 could do anything that plays like either Tecmo Super Bowl or 10 Yard Fight, but either of these would be a nice addition for the system. If anyone ever does make a new football game for the 5200, they should do the right thing and take their inspiration (and player rosters) from the short-lived United States Football League, which was active around about the same time as the 5200. So my last suggested game title is USFL '84.

Curt Vendel has stated the 5200's expansion slot was meant for a speech synthesis chip and/or a musical keyboard. The bandwidth is too weak though for real hardware upgrades like extra RAM but perhaps the AtariVox could be adapted for its use. That would be one way to add speech to games.

Space Harrier XE with a 1MB ROM cart would be flipping awesome. An advantage it would have over Atari 8-bit would be the use of the analog joystick like the arcade original...or...going really exotic here...use the Trak-Ball.

AverageSoftware's RealSports Curling surprised me, and I think it'll be a great game when finished. And unique. What other RealSports games would you wish for?

RS Hockey - with a clear blue "ice" background, software sprites could be used with vertical scrolling and have full teams on-ice.

RS Golf - I mean, Atari XL Leaderboard is impressive, but with the 5200's great color palette and some DLI shading, it'd be interesting to see what a RS Golf game could look like and play like. And add sand traps and trees , instead of all the water of Leaderboard.

RS Off-Road Racing - something along the lines of Sega Rally would be awesome, but so would a unique off-road bicycle racing game - trails, hills, jumps, etc.

• Like 1

What other RealSports games would you wish for?

I mentioned in my first development post on RealSports Curling that I was thinking really hard about doing RealSports Cricket. I love cricket, but I don't know how well suited it would be to the 5200 considering that games typically take 5 days to complete.

As for non-sports games, I would love to see Gain Ground, a fairly obscure Sega arcade game. I think the arcade version had three player support, so it would be great for the 5200. I'll have to file that away on my potential projects list.

Oh, and if someone had the ambition they could probably take the RealSports Curling code and hack it into RealSports Bowling. That might be interesting.

• Like 1