IGNORED

FS: Customized TSOP Xbox, 128MB RAM, large HDD / Coinops 8 r4 Massive

Mark Wolfe

RAM expansion has been a possibility for many years

It's just that not too many people can do it but we found a retailer for the chips and a local friend is able to perform the soldering

I am not aware of benefits to retail games but there are major benefits to Emulators that can make use of it

XBEs have to be patched but Coinops as of version 5 (we're now at v8) makes great use of it natively if it find the RAM is installed

I'm going to post links to all the emulators that make use of the extra RAM. Running N64, MAME, PlayStation One and any of the Classic Computer emulators will no doubt make use of double RAM

It used to be very expensive to get this done because the only people that offered it were in China or Germany and you had to wait a couple months for turnaround

I know XBMC makes use of the RAM as well which will make video playback much better

This is a must have upgrade for anyone who uses original Xbox for emulation

We are looking into processor upgrades which does offer speed enhancements across the board although many retail games can't use it, there are some that can from what I've read. They tend to be the games that already pushed the limit of the platform

Hit me up guys, were ready to take and fulfill orders and we will work within your budget if we possibly can find ways to shave the price for your needs by trading for motherboards you have and that even covers broken xboxes as long as the board is in tact no has no physical damage from buldging or leaking capacitors

We use new chips not pulls

• Like 2

I used to use an Xbox to play emulators on almost exclusively probably 10 or so years ago but gave it away to my sister a few years back. Didn't realize so many upgrades were possible with them now. Is the original Xbox still the best console based emulation? If so I might have to look into getting one of your consoles. I keep hearing Wii is from various sites but I remember playing with that years ago too and it was nowhere near as stable. Then 360 and PS3 weren't real possibilities either. Have they progressed to be much better?

Greetings http://atariage.com/forums/user/39967-hardcorehubz/

It is my opinion that the original Xbox is the most versatile & stable emulation station out there. You could build a PC or use a Raspberry Pi but you're still not going to find something as reliable. No fuss, no muss, plug & play, withstanding hours upon hours of use year after year now that we have completely opened up the motherboard, customized the bios & upgraded the RAM

The Coinops Emulator along with MAME for Xbox and countless other emulators have stayed in the forefront of the emulation scene since the Xbox was first hacked

Yes the Wii & PS2 have similar capabilities, but neither has been updated as often. I have all of the above for my personal emulation needs but for those just getting into it or returning to it after a long break, I don't believe there is a better platform for the money .

If you would like to get into one I can set you up within a week of payment. Little longer for the RAM upgrade and 2TB HDD.

It all depends on what your emulation focus is.

Check out this video to preview Coinops 8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qhvPHf9ZKEk

Message me if you want to proceed or if you want to get a Wii, or PS2 done ... I can offer 360 & PS3 mods but those are more difficult and require chips or devices to mod them so it becomes more expensive and at that point you may as well get a PC unless you already own one of those consoles , but either way I can handle all the above at a reasonable price

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mark,

I have some questions for you.

1) Do you match the speed/hertz of the ram chip when replacing the 64MB ram chip with the 128MB ram chip? I heard not matching the mega-HZ of the chip would cause issues with some xbox games not playing properly?

2) Do you furnish Virtua Cop 3 on the hard drive?

I do not own an xbox, never had one and never played one before. However, I do want one for a very specific purpose.

1) To play Virtua Cop 3 from hard drive

2) To play Silent Scope Complete (xBox game) from hard drive

3) To play House of the Dead 3 from hard drive

4) To play only light gun games on MAME

5) To play light gun games from other emulated consoles

Also note, I am on HDTV, so I only want light gun games that would work with HDTV by using EMS TOPGUN 3 (two of them for two player light gun games)

Let me know what you can do and please provide a list of games. I am not interested in any home consoles older than NES, hence no light gun games older than Duck Hunt.

Greetings!

We take great care in sourcing our ram chips and diligently test our hardware after installs are done

We also guarantee our hardware for 90 days

I know that one of the things that is often overlooked is that all XBEs have to be patched to work on a 128MB RAM Xbox

We can of course get you set up with anything you want to play. But what concerns me is that you said you're looking to play lightgun games on an HDTV .. I assume this is a flat screen? An LCD or LED? (Not a CRT)

I don't think you can get light guns to work on a non CRT TV unless you know of something I don't. Is there an original Xbox adaptor for the new light guns that have come out ? I'm not aware of any and if there are, please post a link here

Lastly, I do not provide game lists because it is easy to find what is available and talking about ROM use that way is frowned upon in this forum.

For the rest of the subscribers to this thread:

I'll be updating the main thread here to show that we're updating Coinops to V8 R6 and also offering the Hyperspin-esque Coinops 8 GEMS as well as Hypervison 5 GEMS (which is Visionary 5 in a hyperbison menu style)

I'll post links to videos in the first post soon but you can all just google it to find tons of videos out there

We're also updating a lot of the stand alone emulators to all the latest versions and we of course make sure everything is patched and working if you get 128MB RAM

My pace on Xbox mods is very slow at the moment because I've been hired to build a custom four player arcade machine... and I am also hard fast at creating a huge ISO database and archive of everything related to modern emulation on classic devices & modern devices including the Raspberry Pi ... part of the cabinet design will include a Sega Naomi 2 with a Net DIMM board and RPi3, a multi Capcom 2 board & a multi Neo Geo board as well as console and PC MAME capabilities so it will truly be a hybrid of amazing proportions ... oh and the 4 player control panel is modular so each set of controls is separate and the thing can be configured for 4, 2 & 1 player so when you're playing solo you can stand in the middle ?

Edited by Mark Wolfe
  • Like 2

Details??

Sent from my non beer holding hand.

Apologies for the tardy response. He's basically making my Xbox a mini hyperspin of sorts. I've been really descriptive of what I'd like and so far what he's doing hasn't been done by anyone else. We'll see. :)

I'm eagerly anticipating its arrival.

Is the xbox capable of outputting 240p at all yet?

I have no clue but wouldn't a normal A/V cable that is composite video work ? That's the regular video on an Xbox

at mayaman: it's coming along bro! Slow but it's coming

I'm going to prioritize the Xbox orders this week and get them it the door but I only just got the Coinops updates which are worth the wait, trust me ??

I believe the default is 480i/480p at best for low resolution, I was wondering if custom firmware's enabled deinterlaced video yet.

Having only used Ultimarc's video adaptor for the original Xbox (no longer available) that i use to connect my Xbox to my real arcade monitor, I've never investigated any other options for video output

There is a ton of info available (google-able) for orig Xbox custom firmware ... I don't recall seeing anything about that but it doesnt mean it can't do it.

Barring that there are video down/up-scalers on the market for use with everything from arcade monitors to HiDef TVs

ram clarification

I forget if its rev 5 or 6 machines that stopped you from adding more ram but 1-4 (maybe 5) machines had 4 solder points for ram, 2 were populated with 32 meg chips, if you got the exact same rambus blah blah blah which was easiest from other xboxe's you could populate the other two spots and get 128 megs of ram

generally this doesn't do much of anything UNTIL you decide to run hard stuff like neo-geo emulation or later mame stuff or linux, then yea it is a good bump in performance

video modes

afaik original XBOX (least my rev 6 model) will do 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p and 1080i, now as the xbox goes your best doing a ed or hd resolution if your TV doesnt suck, there's no reason to upscale and add lag from some janky external box

Edited by Osgeld

ram clarification

I forget if its rev 5 or 6 machines that stopped you from adding more ram but 1-4 (maybe 5) machines had 4 solder points for ram, 2 were populated with 32 meg chips, if you got the exact same rambus blah blah blah which was easiest from other xboxe's you could populate the other two spots and get 128 megs of ram

generally this doesn't do much of anything UNTIL you decide to run hard stuff like neo-geo emulation or later mame stuff or linux, then yea it is a good bump in performance

video modes

afaik original XBOX (least my rev 6 model) will do 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p and 1080i, now as the xbox goes your best doing a ed or hd resolution if your TV doesnt suck, there's no reason to upscale and add lag from some janky external box

It's version 6 boards because you can't install custom firmware without a mod chip. But you can install extra ram if you use a modchip

Coinops and some of the other emulators have been updated to make use of extra ram

Comes in handy with N64, PSX and arcade/MAME emulation the latter of which is what most of my customers get these for due to the advances in orig Xbox emulation over the past few years

Edited by Mark Wolfe

Well some good news from what I've read here in this post: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21889

Sounds like the EMS TOPGUN II (wired version works with XBOX) and more importantly works with Silent Scope Complete on HDTV. I would presume the EMS TOPGUN III (wireless version) would also work. There are two sites to order the a gun for HDTV (flat screen LED / LCD / Plasma / etc.)

Where to buy: http://www.play-asia.com/ems-topgun-iii/13/704e7s and http://www.hkems.com/m_main.htm

Some advise: If you buy the EMS TOPGUN III, then get the revised second version with the orange tip, as this version has an improved trigger that is less susceptible to breaking inside the gun where it presses an internal button. The original first version with the solid black tip (the gun is all black) has a weak trigger and will break in just a few days...most likely the first day you play with it.

So I am really only interested in light gun games, but not with a typical light gun; rather, using the gun and sensor (much like the wii uses). The gun works as a mouse. So as long as a mouse input, then I would believe these guns would work. I have a flat screen Plasma, not a CRT.

If I get your xbox, I want to just focos on the on-rails shooting games with the EMS TOPGUN. Let me know if you think MAME would support the gun or not.

I'm going to have to grab one of those and try t out in order to answer you question

I didn't know they made one with an orig Xbox input

Are you sure when they said "Xbox" they didn't mean Xbox 360 or Xbox One ? It's my understanding that the gun is a USB device

There are USB adaptors for original Xbox but they are USB 1 not USB 2 which is not that great when it comes to peripherals like USB light guns or USB controllers

I'm gonna go check out those links and see what's up

The racketbot post def is talking about it on an orig Xbox so that's promising

The question is: does it work with emulators ?

I'm gonna get one myself and I'll let you know

You may be able to google the answer to see if it works within Coinops

Hmm, the features section of playasia don't mention orig Xbox support

How does it plug in? It seems like you would need several orig Xbox USB adaptors if the racketboy post is correct

Does anyone out there have experience with this light gun ?

I also don't see how to be sure it is tue Orange tipped revision you spoke of

Look at the contents inside the box, there is an xbox dongle, the USB dongle plugs into a usb/xbox port adaptor. It comes with a CD, I am unsure if it is natively supported with the xbox or if drivers need to be installed.

I don't see anything about orig Xbox on the playasia page at all so I don't know what you mean by "look at the contents inside the box"

I'm on the mobile site so maybe it's missing info

You don't need drivers for the USB dongle only if you run Linux on the Xbox

This is the version with the orange tip (the 2nd version with improved trigger)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-EMS-TOPGUN-3-Wireless-Lightgun-1108-for-Windows-Wireless-MAME-More-/122100413695?hash=item1c6dc074ff:g:kxgAAOSwNuxXbAXS

EMS is the Asian manufacturer...and xBox is listed on their site

http://www.hkems.com/m_main.htm