IGNORED

Super Pro Boxing and SP Hockey 2

intvdave

I used to love boxing was a easy simple game you could play drunk with your friends was hard on the controllers . I would like to see some more fighters added maybe a Rocky mode where you could beat the hell out of each other for 15 rounds . Of all the games we played I only remember two going the distance .

SP Boxing could be good. I always wondered why they didn't have 2 exceptional endurance fighters? If I remember correctly. Fighter 3 would always win.

Though you could pick the "random" fighter and have a shot at being equal. Fighters 4 and 5 were equally matched, but 3 was better than both of them.

Hockey.... Can this game be saved? Having played ice hockey for 40 years. This is the one sport game I truly hated for the intellivision.

Only a southern Cali programmer would think skates "slide" on ice. This is the slowest sports game when it should be the fastest!

I am certain I would end up with both of these games if you do them!

• Like 1

A 1 player Utopia would work like any type of 4x game. There is less opportunity for conflict than in say Age of Empires, but the tension over resources could eventually produce a "winner." I think you'd have to create a game mode where there was a specific goal. That way the computer could plan its moves to get to that state and you would have to figure out a way to get there faster. It could be as simple as collect XXX fish. There could be many goals like this of varying difficulty.

I like this idea for level setting Utopia. Instead of setting requirements for one object, set it for everything, XXX fish, XXX food, XXX schools, ect.

The game would end when all goals are met. There would be no rounds. Should there be? I need to see why there are rounds.

I like the sound of that. Not sure there needs to be rounds I guess

I like this idea for level setting Utopia. Instead of setting requirements for one object, set it for everything, XXX fish, XXX food, XXX schools, ect.

The game would end when all goals are met. There would be no rounds. Should there be? I need to see why there are rounds.

That would be a different game. Gold bars, scores, rebels are calculated at the end of each round. You can choose length of each round in seconds, the minimum of 30 seconds is usually what people do, I think.

That would be a different game. Gold bars, scores, rebels are calculated at the end of each round. You can choose length of each round in seconds, the minimum of 30 seconds is usually what people do, I think.

It would not be a different game. It would be a different way of playing it. This is what I am trying to figure out. How to make a 1 player version of Utopia fun to play. Creating an AI for the second player is not the answer. Achievement can either be points based or goal based. (e.g. ABC fish, ABC food, ect.) I like the goal based because the level setting could be set high enough where it is challenging to get to.

The reason I made the screens in SC Burgertime random was for the player to want to keep playing to play them all.

Tennis, Mystic Castle, and Baseball offer enough challenge to want to play again.

What would drive the desire to want to play Utopia again?

• Like 1

Creating an AI for the second player is not the answer.

I agree. What's the fun in seeing a hurricane wipeout the computer's factories and houses.

edit:

A suggestion for Utopia would be to have the goal to stay in power for the entire term, Make the game challenging enough so getting overthrown and having the game end early is more likely.

Edited by mr_me

I believe Boxing is the only sports title that does not have a 1 player option. Is there any interest in this?

I have heard from a few people that Super Pro Hockey needs to be updated. I was never a fan of the Intellivision Hockey because of how it played. Is there much interest in a tuned version of Super Pro Hockey?

You bet there is an interest for SPH2! Myself and Paul from the Intellivisionaries have come up with a short list of ideas on how to make the play better. I know the top thing was to make the corners rounded like NHL Hockey was. A few new ideas:

Tweaking the AI

Option to pull goalie in favor of another attacker near the end of the game

Fighting option - although there may not be enough room in the code for this, you could incorporate some of your boxing code! LOL! :)

Offsides - this will cut down on the scoring so you can't leave a guy down at the other end to "cherry pick" Maybe borrow the code from soccer for this?

Increase speed of slap shot vs pass. Both are almost the same.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's it for now. Thanks Dave!

Edited by atarifan88

Suggestions for Intellivision hockey:

Fix the skating so when a player changes direction they don't continue sliding. Gliding when the disc is released is correct. Glide while button is pressed so you can quickly change direction of pass/shot. I think the programmer tried to have skating acceleration to top speed which is an interesting idea but the sliding is wrong. Loss of skating momentum for certain movements would make sense.

Make passing easier. For example, automatically have passes directed to the closest teammate in your disc direction taking into account that target players movement. Anything to make passing easier would be good.

Not sure about this one but I was thinking about also making shooting easier. Have all shots automatically directed at net (except when the puck is behind center red line). Chance of rebounds being less the further away; discouraging long shots since it likely results in a turnover.

If modifying 'Slap Shot Super Pro', fix the bug where shots/passes sometimes go in a different direction than disc direction. Remove keypad passing. And make the blue lines blue again.

I'm all for a improved hockey game as well, maybe a team selection, choose from Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden....etc

Yeah. Would it even be possible to have selectable teams?

Then give each different team different strengths/weakness somehow. To make them play different?

Too much?

The rounds are the "end of year" cycles. You are the Governor of the Island, so the yearly income is computed at the end of the year. This is similar to early versions of SimCity. It gives you an opportunity to see the progress of your handy-work without having to constantly pay attention to it. That gives the game a way to build tension since you don't get to see the final outcome of your policies until then. You can then concentrate on managing the Island without having to micro-manage the score.

I agree with mr_me, adding pre-set resource gathering goals would be a different game. The beauty of Utopia is that it is a simulation of running an Island -- that is, the game is being the governor of an island and seeing it progress, just like SimCity.

It would not be a different game. It would be a different way of playing it. This is what I am trying to figure out. How to make a 1 player version of Utopia fun to play. Creating an AI for the second player is not the answer. Achievement can either be points based or goal based. (e.g. ABC fish, ABC food, ect.) I like the goal based because the level setting could be set high enough where it is challenging to get to.

The reason I made the screens in SC Burgertime random was for the player to want to keep playing to play them all.

Tennis, Mystic Castle, and Baseball offer enough challenge to want to play again.

What would drive the desire to want to play Utopia again?

"Different way of playing it," means a different game: To-may-to, To-mah-to. Utopia is already a fun single-player game as it is. If what you're looking for is some sort of action/strategy game, then that's fine, but that's not Utopia, that's whatever new game you want to make played over the Utopia playing field.

Adding "achievements" would turn the game into something else completely.

Super Chef Burgertime worked because it was still Burgertime in every single aspect. Had you said, "well, I don't think adding new levels is the best way, what if we change from building burgers from the top, to shooting hot dogs and pickles?" That would be an interesting game I'm sure, but not Burgertime. ;)

Any way, like always, you do as you wish and I'm sure people would buy it. But if you are looking to "improve" on Utopia, then I'd suggest improving the simulation aspect. Since you were asking for ideas, that's mine.

I would add more realistic features to the simulation; different islands; maybe seasons; also "world events" such as other catastrophes and political issues that may have a bearing on your part of the world. One thing I've seen in a different game of the same kin is a "World News" ticker-tape that comes out once in a while with some headline of what's going on in the world. The event may have some impact on the outcome of your decisions. For instance, "Draught announced in the northern hemisphere," you would have to prepare for such a thing in order to survive it.

-dZ.

• Like 2

Well if the game (utopia) is changed too much, then change the name!

Here are some options.

Arcadia, Eden, Elysium, Elysium Fields, Erewhon, Garden of Eden, Shangri-La, bliss, dreamland, dreamworld, fairyland, heaven, land of milk and honey, never-never land, paradise, perfection, pie in the sky, promised land, seventh heaven, wonderland.