IGNORED

Building a homebrew retro console around the F18A

Pixelboy

Using any AllWinner ARM SoC (the R16 like the NES mini for example) likely costs a lot less and you can simply make the "retro" part by limiting the GPU access via a simplified video library.

Why use an expensive F18A? If you like the FPGA route might as well build the whole console out of it and maybe ask for the F18A IP and integrate it if you really really really have to go that way.

Just for fun check this out:

http://excamera.com/sphinx/gameduino/ (same class of FPGA as F18A, 200K gates vs 250K, but it doesn't matter really the XC3 is pretty old anyway)

or from the same guy:

http://excamera.com/sphinx/gameduino2/index.html which uses an FT800 instead of the FPGA

My point being I don't get why the F18A is the starting point.

I have two of them, but I didn't know the F18A was supposed to be expensive. For what they give me, I've always considered them a great value.

At 78$ they are not cheap.

If one needs to replace a 9918A and wants 60Hz VGA out then by any means, but starting a console around a 78$ video enhancement kit seems not well thought out to me.

At 78$ they are not cheap.

If one needs to replace a 9918A and wants 60Hz VGA out then by any means, but starting a console around a 78$ video enhancement kit seems not well thought out to me.

Well, I did start this thread with the premise that this theoretical console would be a homebrew retro console. When you say "homebrew", you don't necessarily expect a low selling price. ;)

When you say "homebrew", you don't necessarily expect a low selling price. ;)

I personally do and I am almost always disappointed. I would expect new games for old consoles that have flash carts to be in digital format at nominal prices (say 10$ maybe) instead I am faced with complex packages, manuals, posters and ultimately a sticker shocker of anywhere from 50US$ to 80US$+. Don't get me wrong, there's a place for that too, but it should not be the only option these days.

I was lucky with Alice Mom Rescue for JagCD at 18US$ with case and insert directly from the author ..... the point being that I suspect that homebrew is quickly becoming an excuse to inflate prices with "attaboy" rewards ..... this is my personal opinion hence not a fact but I stay away from what I consider overpriced items .... I don't want to buy just so I can flip them on eBay 6 months later .... I'd like to play the damn thing without feeling too bad for the price.

Talking about 99x8/AY3810 etc... I almost bought the SGM clone at a good discount 2 days ago then I stopped myself thinking that I wouldn't play it anyway so even at 60US$ shipping included it was too much, let alone the original at 90US$ + S&H .... yes the original case and package are nicer but they inflate costs .... but I digress.

If you start throwing together a new retro console with expensive parts for no other reason that they are expensive I see the Coleco Chameleon Redux in the making here.

The F18A doesn't have beginner friendly tools around it to help new game creators. There has to be a reason to include custom hardware that may be more expensive then readily available alternatives.

The C.H.i.P. is $9 (console kit is $29) dollars and has the PICO-8 game making software. That's a tough value proposition to beat. Cheap. Beginner friendly. Community is cranking out some impressive stuff.

https://getchip.com/pages/chip

• Like 1