IGNORED

Adventure Construction Set

DanBoris

Back in the day I way always fascinated by Stuart Smith's Adventure Construction Set which sadly never got ported to the Atari. A while back I started to play with the MSDOS version and decided it would be fun to reverse engineer the game file format. It turned out to be a much bigger project then I though but I finally have something to show for the work. I used the information to build a Adventure Construction Set file viewer and have released it along with the C# source code. I also put together a very early draft document of the file format, but the source code is currently the best reference for the format. All this can be found on my web site:

http://atarihq.com/danb/acs.shtml

• Like 2

Back in the day I way always fascinated by Stuart Smith's Adventure Construction Set which sadly never got ported to the Atari.

I was a huge fan of this game on the Apple II. This is such a great idea. You can not only export but once you figure out the full spec it could be used for a modern adaptation of the whole thing (by adding more options and gameplay).

I was a huge fan of this game on the Apple II. This is such a great idea. You can not only export but once you figure out the full spec it could be used for a modern adaptation of the whole thing (by adding more options and gameplay).

The viewer tool actually does have the beginning of play functionality which is just limited to moving around the map at the moment, but I would like to expand it further in the future.

• 3 years later...

Thanks to James Read who made numerous improvements in the 2.0 version. Here are some of the highlights. See the release notes file for a full list.

• Support for Amiga and Apple II files
  • Store contents are now accurate
  • Palette colors and names now accessible from graphics viewer
  • Can view players saved with the game
  • A number of improvements to the room viewer
  • All graphics are now shown in the graphics viewer

You can get the new version from my web site 

http://atarihq.com/danb/acs.shtml

• 3 years later...

Hi there, I've been scouring the internet for an ACS editor because I thought it might be cool to try my hand at making games for it again, as I did as a kid, but I don't think I have patience for the old UI these days. Your viewer looks to be the closest thing, and at least you've got the file format figured out. Kudos for doing it!