IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

2 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Okay, just found out something. Up to .215, I can click on the file mame 64 and it will run in a finder window. But I tried running mame 64 as ./mame 64 and it comes up without the errors, so at least I have that.

try running:

./mame64 -video bgfx

On 10/26/2020 at 5:40 AM, jedimatt42 said:

ah, yes, new nvram directories under ~/.mame/ for each system... It seems to work to remove the ti99_4ev and ti99_4ae and soft link them over to the ti99_4a directory. 

Note that this is a location configured by your system. Normally, the nvram folder is a subfolder of your mame folder.

5 minutes ago, mizapf said:

BTW, I had issues with bgfx when I run MAME in a VM running Ubuntu (unresponsive desktop). On my real system, I always use bgfx which is also selected by auto.

Do you have a sample script, like a .bat file for windows, that I can use in mame for the mac osx that will bring up, let's say a Geneve with all the goodies, then I can copy it and modify for each machine. Like I have done for my windows mame, I have downloaded and converted bat files with different ti and geneve options and disks. I have never really dealt with scripts in Mac OSX.

This is my Geneve launch script:

#!/bin/bash
./mame64 geneve -peb:slot5 speech -peb:slot6 tirs232 -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -hard1 /home/michael/mame
/disks/hd/mainhd.hd $*

You can create a bootable hard disk with my TIImageTool. It comes with GeneveOS 6.50.

File->New hard disk image; keep the sectors per track on 32; you can increase the heads up to 16 and the cylinders up to 2048; but maybe it is just sufficient to go up to around 100 MiB. 1984/16/32 delivers 248 MiB, the absolute maximum size (the file system does not support a larger disk).

Then: Utility->Install GeneveOS

18 minutes ago, mizapf said:

This is my Geneve launch script:

#!/bin/bash
./mame64 geneve -peb:slot5 speech -peb:slot6 tirs232 -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -hard1 /home/michael/mame
/disks/hd/mainhd.hd $*

You can create a bootable hard disk with my TIImageTool. It comes with GeneveOS 6.50.

File->New hard disk image; keep the sectors per track on 32; you can increase the heads up to 16 and the cylinders up to 2048; but maybe it is just sufficient to go up to around 100 MiB. 1984/16/32 delivers 248 MiB, the absolute maximum size (the file system does not support a larger disk).

Then: Utility->Install GeneveOS

Gotcha, but I have several HD images. Just need to get them mounted using the right script process. Just bash'em in there. Lol

Just now, mizapf said:

I just remembered that I uploaded a ready-to-use HD image to Whtech, so no need for setting it up. Just in case someone wonders how to get to a bootable HD.

Okay using yours as a guide. I modified a .bat from a windows mame geneve configuration and placed the text in the terminal and the Geneve came up with the debug turned on.  Thanks to you and Shift838, I at least have it usable now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mizapf said:

Why debug? Do you start with "-debug" (or "-oslog")? If you don't need it you should turn it off.

The version of geneve.bat I used to pull the format from, had -debug added to the end. I just left it to see what would happen, and the debug screen came up when the Geneve emulation started. So what I was trying to get across, is that worked too.

That geneve.bat file is likely something that originated from me.  I had several bat files, one that started up the debug, and another that established RS232 serial support.

For the most part, when I use MAME/Geneve, it is trying to debug and figure out what is not working the way it should.  The debug function is really nice as you can open multiple debug windows to look at memory all over the place.

Beery

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Yes, but it slightly slows down the emulation.

Does it slow it down below Geneve normal speed if you have a quad core, 16 GB PC?  I would think if you barely had the horsepower for a lower end PC it would, but have not seen what looks to be anything slowed down on my PC.

Beery

17 hours ago, RickyDean said:

Yes, I think it does use the bash.

With MacOS Catalina Apple switched from bash to Z shell.  The scripts will still work.  If you happen to execute Mame without creating ini files first in the folder you want, you might take a look in ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/Mame.  There may be ini files there also.  This can create problems like you experienced with the video and other things (voice of experience)  I am using .224 with Catalina on a 2013 MacBook Pro.  Went back to .224 from .225 since I had problems with HRD4000 working correctly on .225. 

• Like 1