IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

There is no functional change between 0.227 and 0.228 for the TI emulations.

However ...

I just noticed they changed the executable name. It is not "mame64.exe" or "mame64" anymore but "mame.exe" or "mame". Please check all your start scripts once you installed 0.228. (Oh dear. (Don't look at me. (It wasn't me.)))

I remember this was once discussed on the mailing list, but forgot about that. When I built the new release, I wondered why I am still getting a version "0.227" information before I realized that there is a newly named executable.

(Great ... I'll have to update the installer scripts now...)

Wait ...

I just saw that the official MAME for Windows package from mamedev.org still contains mame64.exe. Maybe just wait some days until this gets clearer.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 5:47 PM, mizapf said:

There is no functional change between 0.227 and 0.228 for the TI emulations.

However ...

I just noticed they changed the executable name. It is not "mame64.exe" or "mame64" anymore but "mame.exe" or "mame". Please check all your start scripts once you installed 0.228. (Oh dear. (Don't look at me. (It wasn't me.)))

I remember this was once discussed on the mailing list, but forgot about that. When I built the new release, I wondered why I am still getting a version "0.227" information before I realized that there is a newly named executable.

(Great ... I'll have to update the installer scripts now...)

Wait ...

I just saw that the official MAME for Windows package from mamedev.org still contains mame64.exe. Maybe just wait some days until this gets clearer.

look like another update I will have to perform to OoeyGUI.. (maybe... i need to verify)

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone try Epson AP2000 (ActionPrinter 2000) printer emulator on MAME (994A emulator) through PIO device?  On MAME forum, I now learned that they finally got Epson printer emulation working on Apple II emulators.  They mentioned a video about printing.  I watched that video... Very interesting!  Printing graphics through both printhead direction forth and back on screen.

I hope that they added ROM images for wide-format printers like LQ1000 and MX100, etc. since they implemented a few narrow-format printer emulations.

• Like 1

Does anyone try Epson AP2000 (ActionPrinter 2000) printer emulator on MAME (994A emulator) through PIO device?  On MAME forum, I now learned that they finally got Epson printer emulation working on Apple II emulators.  They mentioned a video about printing.  I watched that video... Very interesting!  Printing graphics through both printhead direction forth and back on screen.

I hope that they added ROM images for wide-format printers like LQ1000 and MX100, etc. since they implemented a few narrow-format printer emulations.
Got a link? This is news to me

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I just uploaded MAME 0.229 (restricted to the TI-99 family) to WHTech for Windows, Raspbian, and Linux. See https://ftp.whtech.com/emulators/MAME/ti99/

As I already mentioned, the executable file is from now on mame (Raspbian, Linux) and mame.exe (Windows). The "64" suffix has been dropped. Please make sure to update your launch scripts and to remove the old mame64(.exe) in your installation. Otherwise, you may unintentionally run the 0.228 (or earlier) version. In doubt, check the title bar of the window or look inside the OSD menu, option "About MAME". You should see "0.229".

There is one thing that is interesting for us: For the Geneve, the debugger did not allow the user to write values into memory (using the memory view); this is now fixed.

• Like 5

Hehe ... see what I mean? I wondered why the Windows zip file for 0.229 was 20 MiB larger than for 0.228, and guess why ... My pack script found the older mame64.exe (which was not overwritten) and put it inside the zip, next to the newer mame.exe. ?

I re-uploaded the 0.229 Windows release to WHTech now.

(By the way, I did not know about this change when it was committed, and I was doing some work in MAME right then, but none of my edits seem to have an effect - started tearing my hair ... until I noticed that I was simply using the older version, and all changes went into the new executable.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hloberg said:

@mizapf have you heard anything about if the latest MAME will run at full speed on the new Ras Pi 4 without over clocking?

This raises an interesting thought.  If MAME is running on a Raspberry PI, what would it take to implement TIPI ability on the PI version of MAME?  My thinking here is that it would open up the ability to have a nearly fully functional Geneve emulation................

Beery

8 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

This raises an interesting thought.  If MAME is running on a Raspberry PI, what would it take to implement TIPI ability on the PI version of MAME?  My thinking here is that it would open up the ability to have a nearly fully functional Geneve emulation................

Beery

you are sharing resources between mame and the tipi system, you would have to set up mame to use the webhook integration which is not configured at this point.. 

5 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

you are sharing resources between mame and the tipi system, you would have to set up mame to use the webhook integration which is not configured at this point.. 

Yeah, not hooked/configured, but I figured with it being on an actual system, it may be simpler to implement??????  Just floating the concept out there............

3 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Yeah, not hooked/configured, but I figured with it being on an actual system, it may be simpler to implement??????  Just floating the concept out there............

frankly it's irrellevent if you use the same pi, or a emulated pi it's all the same likely, it's integrating the DSR and webhook functionality into MAME that is the issue. entirely ..the rest is already done

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, hloberg said:

@mizapf have you heard anything about if the latest MAME will run at full speed on the new Ras Pi 4 without over clocking?

There are no changes in the architecture, so I would not expect any performance increase or decrease. The current release does run at full speed without overclocking on a Raspi 4 for the 9900-based systems. The TI-99/4A can be emulated at 100% on my own Raspi 4 (see https://www.mizapf.de/ti99/mame/mamereq), and I'm not doing any overclocking.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mizapf said:

There are no changes in the architecture, so I would not expect any performance increase or decrease. The current release does run at full speed without overclocking on a Raspi 4 for the 9900-based systems. The TI-99/4A can be emulated at 100% on my own Raspi 4 (see https://www.mizapf.de/ti99/mame/mamereq), and I'm not doing any overclocking.

the Geneve runs at 64-74% on a RaspPi 4 according to your chart?

Yes, it takes quite a lot more processing power than the TI-99/4A because the 9995 does much more in fewer cycles. If you take the HX5102 floppy with the 99/8 or 99/2, this is really extreme.

The 74% are reached without graphic output, which takes off a heavy load. This raw performance says how fast it may become if the graphics bottleneck is gone and all real-time pauses are removed. So the 64% is the number that applies for normal usage.

Let's see how far some future Raspi generation brings us.

10 hours ago, mizapf said:

Hehe ... see what I mean? I wondered why the Windows zip file for 0.229 was 20 MiB larger than for 0.228, and guess why ... My pack script found the older mame64.exe (which was not overwritten) and put it inside the zip, next to the newer mame.exe. ?

I re-uploaded the 0.229 Windows release to WHTech now.

(By the way, I did not know about this change when it was committed, and I was doing some work in MAME right then, but none of my edits seem to have an effect - started tearing my hair ... until I noticed that I was simply using the older version, and all changes went into the new executable.)

Someone on Discord asks:

https://discordapp.com/channels/440189566536908832/760546948720754698/814662716958310430

My next question, if I may.. I scooped up GROM 0, 1, and 2 from my console (which has a TIM and SOB) and XMODEM'd them over my UDS-10 to my PC. I have them working just fine in Fred Kaal's Ti994w, but I was wondering if it could be shoehorned into MESS/MAME?
unknown.png?width=372&height=300

• Like 1