IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

19 hours ago, dhe said:

Here are the ROM's I have in my Geneve.zip - Which lives in the rom directory.

By the way, it seems as if you re-packed the geneve.zip file. I suggest not to re-pack the zips. You just drop the respective zip files in your rompath (ti99_bwg.zip, ti99_fdc.zip, ..., ti99_speech.zip). I'm not sure whether the MAME core actually searches e.g. the floppy controller ROMs in geneve.zip; I don't think so.

OK, I had a closer look, doing a test with ti99_ddcc1.zip which only contains ddcc1.u3. I started ti99_4ae, the 50Hz variant.

Rompath is mame/roms/

This is the search order where the MAME core looks for the file ddcc1.u3. It also means that the occurrance in a lower number shadows the occurance in a higher number.

0. mame/roms/ddcc1.u3: not found

1. mame/roms/ti99_ddcc1/ddcc1.u3

2. mame/roms/ti99_ddcc1.zip

3. mame/roms/ti99_4ae.zip

4. mame/roms/ti99_4a.zip

So it eventually searches the dump in the driver file (ti99_4a.zip), but the search will stop in a lower number when the file is found there.

• Like 1

Usually names matter.

You say: bwg_dsr.u15

I have: bwg.bin

How does mame know what ROM is to be used for what? (ie.. wouldn't want to try to boot the geneve with the BWG ROM) ?

I'm guessing .u15 is the chip designation on the board, which is a concept I really like.

In MAME, hashes matter more (CRC and SHA1). The socket designation is a MAME standard that I adopted a while ago when I reorganized the dumps.

Remember that the end user shall be able to dump the own ROMs to use them in MAME. So the file names give you a hint which circuit you have to dump.

• Like 2

Hi,

According to this page: https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/defaultkeys.html

`~ should get my back to the system menu.

But.. That doesn't seem to work for me? (It's captured by the emulator).

image.thumb.png.8473b77853373f068418ab95a4ef167d.png

Here is the bat file, I'm using to call up the geneve emulation.

D:\mame>mame geneve -peb:slot4 memex -peb:slot3 horizon -peb:slot5 tirs232 -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h3 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:f3 525dd -peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -hard1 genos7boot.HD -hard2 Bootdisk2.HD -hard3 Bootdisk3.HD -flop1 DSDD1.dsk -flop2 DSDD2.hfe -flop3 DSDD3.dsk -flop4 DSDD4.dsk -serl1 socket.localhost:10000

I would also like to thank the romgods for updating geneve.zip today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dhe said:

Hi,

According to this page: https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/defaultkeys.html

`~ should get my back to the system menu.

But.. That doesn't seem to work for me? (It's captured by the emulator).

You seem to be in full keyboard mode, try to switch to partial mode first. ("UI controls enabled", this is ScrlLock for me).

Much closer, but I still can't figure out the magic incantation to soft power down the machine (F2?)

Left-Alt + Enter - to go from Full Screen (my startup mode) to Windowed.

ScrLock - Enables UI Control.

image.thumb.png.0d57650b5830a05a7a32eae983fe862e.png

Edited by dhe
left - alt to correct left - alt + enter

Believe it or not, I never used this on-screen mini display at the bottom of the page that pops up with that tilde key... I did not even know about it.

I guess by "soft power off" you mean "F2: Power the machine off for machines that have specific power button behavior." (I did not know about this feature either.) This is not defined for the Geneve.

When I want to stop the emulation, I usually close the window or press Esc in partial mode.

If you add "-window" in your command line you can launch the emulation in a window right from the start.

>When I want to stop the emulation, I usually close the window or press Esc in partial mode.

Ok.

I'm just used to:

Ejecting USB Drives before pulling them.

sync, sync shutdown -h now <- on Linux

Or shutdown and wait till the machine powers of in Windows.

I guess on the geneve emulation, as long as I don't shut it down while it's actively writing to the HD image, I don't have to worry about 'cached' writes - not getting flushed to disk. ?

• Like 1

Your caution is certainly good. For MAME there is no need, actually: Closing the window or stopping the emulation by ESC is specifically handled, in particular with floppy or hard drives being written back. During runtime, floppy images are only accessed in memory, and on termination of the emulator they are written back.

MAME cannot guarantee for data integrity within the emulation (it cannot know whether all operations are complete), so this F2 key may be used to trigger a shutdown to be handled by the emulated system. Again, this is not necessary for the Geneve, as it does not use write-back caches. All operations are done synchronously.

• Like 1

Sorry, too late indeed; today is the last Wednesday of November - release date of 0.238.

SCSI will be included in the next release, 0.239, due Dec 29. You can, of course, build from sources. I can - if desired - upload an interim build on WHTech. In the meantime I can figure out how to get block DMA working.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

@mizapf is the paste function in Geneve disabled? It's ghosted on the latest release I have (.236).

also while were talking Geneve, I'm doing some AdvBASIC games for the Geneve. I type them in Notepad++ and use tiimagetool  and XB MERGE to paste it in to a .DSK so that MAME Geneve can read it. only thing, and this is minor, I have to REM the AdvBASIC extended command lines (like CALL GRAPHICS(1,2)) or XB will toss it out. anyway around that where I can MERGE or SAVE the AdvBASIC files directly?

• Like 1

I'd expect that CALLs should be accepted (since the name is stored as a string), but commands that are unknown to Extended Basic are rejected. The reason is that the BASIC file is stored as tokens, and well, if you don't know the command, you don't know which token to use. Obviously, I'll have to add Advanced Basic to TIImageTool sometime.

Where can I find the paste function? (really, don't know)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Where can I find the paste function? (really, don't know)

Doh, that's right. I use MESS with the menus. I forgot MAME doesn't have PASTE off of EDIT anymore. Odd thing is the PASTE is ghosted out only in Geneve in MESS. TI99, Coco2, AppleII and all the others I tried still have it. But since it's a MESS thing, no need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

I'd expect that CALLs should be accepted (since the name is stored as a string), but commands that are unknown to Extended Basic are rejected. The reason is that the BASIC file is stored as tokens, and well, if you don't know the command, you don't know which token to use. Obviously, I'll have to add Advanced Basic to TIImageTool sometime.

I figured that about the tokens but I didn't think the fact the CALLs should paste in. thanks, that makes it all little easier since a lot of the new stuff is CALLs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hloberg said:

Doh, that's right. I use MESS with the menus.

MESS as such is just the computer subset of MAME. You're possibly using MAMEUI. This is a Windows-only feature so I don't know about it.

(The silly thing about this is that the debugger is also cross-platform, and has a normal menu system. Don't ask, I can't tell.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

(The silly thing about this is that the debugger is also cross-platform, and has a normal menu system. Don't ask, I can't tell.)

Hum, secret menus buried deep inside MAME. I can think of all kinds of conspiracy theories connected to that. Next you'll be telling me you all are secretly part of the Illuminati and if you read the code backward you get 'Paul is dead'. ?? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

BTW, I included a prepared NVRAM file for the HSGPL on WHTech, together with my script-based setup tool (mameprep(_cygwin)).

I don't have tutorials for the IDE, but Fred has instructions: ? https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/idedsr/idedsr.html

(and please, Fred, frames are not a good idea)

got the nvram for the 80 column and it works fine. thanks

looked at Fred's info but it didn't make a lot of sense to me (or it could been that I was reading it a 2am). anyway, the IDE was a nice to have. I'm just going to use the myarc disk.hd controller instead.

oh, odd thing, I have had no problem dumping any cartridge except ms multiplan with HSGPL. every way I have tried to use it in HSGPL as a grom dump it blows up loading the disk. same error; it prints gibberish on the screen which includes timp.mpmain then the screen goes green then black.