mizapf

New MAME release

Does that look promising? :)

I guess it won't make it into the next release, because we always have a freeze one week before last Wednesday, but it will very likely be in next month's release. Anyway, I still have to do tests and see whether everything runs well. But as you see, CALL PG is already working, the clock is there, so things look positive.

You may wonder why there are noticeably many new features in the TI emulation in MAME right now.

It does have to do with the Corona crisis. Our university has postponed all lectures by five weeks ... although I wonder whether we will really start on April 20. We have some concepts for preparing our lectures in digital form, but on the other hand, the university administration said we must not assume that all students have sufficient technical infrastructure at home, so all material that we upload now is understood to be consumed on a voluntary base, and must be repeated when the lectures actually start. Then we will have to work until mid-August (instead of mid-July).

I am far from complaining, though. I can't do much more but to wait, and I can't really do productive home office work. Maybe I'll start to work over my slides starting from next week, see how far I'll get. At least I don't get bored yet.

0118_2x.png

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 7

PGRAM users: Is it normal that there is no Master Title Screen beep when the card is active (SW2 open)? The selection menu beep is there, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

PGRAM users: Is it normal that there is no Master Title Screen beep when the card is active (SW2 open)? The selection menu beep is there, though.

I think there was a modified upgrade to the GRAMKRACKER that did that just two bytes and it auto bypassed title screen, take a look at the header to see.

For the PGRAM I found that during the powerup initialization, some code is installed in RAM at C000 that is executed immediately, which does a CLR @>83CE. This prevents the interrupt routine to play the beep sound list. It does not skip the Master Title Screen, though. So this means that the beep is intentionally suppressed and that it is not an emulation glitch.

As a similar experience, I remember that the GPL files for the Geneve were patched to skip the MTS. I never understood why. The MTS is not so ugly that it needs to be patched away, so among the first things what I did for my Geneve back when I got it was to revert that patch. (Instead, I patched a German text into the MTS.)

So after a day of bug hunting, the PGRAM seems to work as expected. I'll just check whether the PGRAM+ version is also correctly implemented, then I'll commit it to the source tree.

• Like 5