IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

Not sure on your version as it's probably the Pro version.  I use the Community 2019 version.  If MAME is written in C# or VB .NET there should be an option 'Class Library (.NET Standard)' for both VB and C#.  Unless you have the complete source with a Visual Studio project file.  If so you can do a 'open project or solution' and browse to the project file and open it and it should load it all up.

I think I once tried it but failed, and then people recommended to go for the VS path.

Of course, every tool requires some time to get familiar with; my problem is just that I never used VS and would now have to dig deep into it to learn how to compile MAME.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 11:20 PM, Shift838 said:

Are you going to be compiling .225 for the Raspberry Pi and posting it up on Whtech now?

I just uploaded a 0.225 release (restricted to the TI family) for Linux and Raspbian. The Windows version is the same as on mamedev.org (full).

• Like 5

Running mame .217. Does anyone know if the Ti IDE stuff working correctly? I can't seem to boot any disks. These are images that boot fine under another emulator. Disk does not show up in the selection for booting (just get basic as an option). I set ioport to peb, slot 3 is tifdc (TI-99 Standard DSSD Floppy Controller) with a 525 DD disk drive tifdc:0 with and image in it. No luck. I am a little new to using floppy disks with a Ti-994/a so may be missing something obvious.

9 minutes ago, polyex said:

Running mame .217. Does anyone know if the Ti IDE stuff working correctly? I can't seem to boot any disks. These are images that boot fine under another emulator. Disk does not show up in the selection for booting (just get basic as an option). I set ioport to peb, slot 3 is tifdc (TI-99 Standard DSSD Floppy Controller) with a 525 DD disk drive tifdc:0 with and image in it. No luck. I am a little new to using floppy disks with a Ti-994/a so may be missing something obvious.

1: ti's don't boot to disks they are attached storage that's accessed via software.. no dos to "boot" disks don't show up in the start menu. Only  TI basic and whatever cartridge software you have loaded.  Try loading Disk manager or Extended Basic cartridges.

2: what size disks are they? if they aren't 90 or 180k files, the TI disk controller can't read them. It's SS/SD or DS/SD only..  if you have 360k or greater disks I suggest the HFDC or corcomp controller as they can do those formats. 

3: how are you accessing the disks? from ti basic you'd need to either type in a catalog program OR just OLD FILENAME to load a file off the disk.. those are pretty much your options from TI BASIC.. there's a nice small catalog program in the disk controller manual you can type in.. it's also posted about 4 times here in the group if you search

more details!

Greg 

3 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

1: ti's don't boot to disks they are attached storage that's accessed via software.. no dos to "boot" disks don't show up in the start menu. Only  TI basic and whatever cartridge software you have loaded.  Try loading Disk manager or Extended Basic cartridges.

2: what size disks are they? if they aren't 90 or 180k files, the TI disk controller can't read them. It's SS/SD or DS/SD only..  if you have 360k or greater disks I suggest the HFDC or corcomp controller as they can do those formats. 

3: how are you accessing the disks? from ti basic you'd need to either type in a catalog program OR just OLD FILENAME to load a file off the disk.. those are pretty much your options from TI BASIC.. there's a nice small catalog program in the disk controller manual you can type in.. it's also posted about 4 times here in the group if you search

more details!

Greg 

Ok, I am confused. In the Windows TI99 classic99 , I select Scott Adams adventure disk image, it is 90K. I then restart the machine, no cart and Adventure is selectable (see pic) and I can boot the game by selecting it. I am trying to do the same thing in Mame, same disk image and it does not show up as an option. Is classic99 doing something special that Mame is not?

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 2.54.17 PM.jpg

15 minutes ago, polyex said:

Ok, I am confused. In the Windows TI99 classic99 , I select Scott Adams adventure disk image, it is 90K. I then restart the machine, no cart and Adventure is selectable (see pic) and I can boot the game by selecting it. I am trying to do the same thing in Mame, same disk image and it does not show up as an option. Is classic99 doing something special that Mame is not?

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 2.54.17 PM.jpg

I think if you look under cartridge you are running Scott Adams adventure cart.. you'll need to do the same in MAME If you are not running that cartridge, then you are running extended basic and a grom loader off that disk.. either way. you still are running a cartridge.  pull down that cartridge menu and see what's checked.. 

It looks very much like classic99 has some special patch of adventure that's patched to show the filenames and attaches a disk to DSK1 that has all of the original games on it. 

Greg 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

I think if you look under cartridge you are running Scott Adams adventure cart.. you'll need to do the same in MAME If you are not running that cartridge, then you are running extended basic and a grom loader off that disk.. either way. you still are running a cartridge.  pull down that cartridge menu and see what's checked.. 

Greg 

You must be right about having the cart in there. I can't get it do it again without a cart.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, polyex said:

You must be right about having the cart in there. I can't get it do it again without a cart.

The carts are here: http://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/MAME/all_carts.zip

put them in your roms dir or add their folder the mame.ini roms path

mame64 ti99_4a -cart advent ioport:peb:slot8 bwg -flop1 FLOPPY.DSK  

• Thanks 1

Confused about something the rom images (all carts) that arcadeshopper refered to for me vs .rpk files. I am using Mame .225

DOES NOT WORK:
./mame225 ti99_4a -cart all_carts/buckrog.zip
Fatal error: Device TI-99 cartridge load failed: Invalid image

DOES WORK:
./mame225 ti99_4a -cart TI99_MAME_MESS_Software_Pack_V3.1_by_TMOP/ti99_4a/SSS_Games/\[GAME\]\ Buck\ Rogers\ -\ Planet\ of\ Zoom\ \(1983\)\(Sega\ Enterprises\)\[PHM\ 3226\].rpk

Game comes up and plays fine with the .rpk.
Is there some other command line option for playing carts from http://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/MAME/all_carts.zip vs .rpk format ones?

Edited by polyex

The ZIP files must NOT be specified by path name.

wrong: -cart some/path/cartridge.zip

correct: -cart cartridge

In contrast, the RPKs are specified by path name.

To ensure that MAME finds the cartridges, the ZIP files must be stored in a folder that is part of the "rompath", specified in mame.ini. It is "roms" by default.

Edited by mizapf
Added rompath info

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

To ensure that MAME finds the cartridges, the ZIP files must be stored in a folder that is part of the "rompath", specified in mame.ini. It is "roms" by default.

does the zip file say Extended Basic 2.5 have to be named something specific that is hardcoded in mame?

or can this be changed?

For example:

exbas25           Extended Basic v2.5

can exbas25 be changed and still load somehow or it has to be 'exbas25.zip' ?

Edited by Shift838

Been working on my OoeyGUI and i wanted to be able to implement mounting IDE on slot7 and HFDC on slot8 at the same time.

if I do it and mount hard disk images on both the HFDC and IDE I get an error in the error log file:

[:ioport:peb] AMA/B/C address prefix set to 70000
[:ioport:peb] Slot 2 = :ioport:peb:slot2:32kmem
[:ioport:peb] Slot 3 = :ioport:peb:slot3:sidmaster
[:ioport:peb] Slot 4 = empty
[:ioport:peb] Slot 5 = empty
[:ioport:peb] Slot 6 = empty
[:ioport:peb] Slot 7 = :ioport:peb:slot7:ide
[:ioport:peb] Slot 8 = :ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] CHD metadata: CYLS:1984,HEADS:16,SECS:32,BPS:256
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] Set encoding to 1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] CHD image has geometry cyl=1984, head=16, sect=32, size=256
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] MFM HD rec specs: interleave=4, cylskew=0, headskew=0, wpcom=-1, rwc=-1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] MFM HD gap specs: gap1=16, gap2=3, gap3=18, sync=13, headerlen=5, ecctype=-1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] Calculated settle time: 9.80 ms, step: 195 us
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] CHD metadata: CYLS:1984,HEADS:16,SECS:32,BPS:256
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] Set encoding to 1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] CHD image has geometry cyl=1984, head=16, sect=32, size=256
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] MFM HD rec specs: interleave=4, cylskew=0, headskew=0, wpcom=-1, rwc=-1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] MFM HD gap specs: gap1=16, gap2=3, gap3=18, sync=13, headerlen=5, ecctype=-1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] Calculated settle time: 9.80 ms, step: 195 us
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] CHD metadata: CYLS:128,HEADS:16,SECS:40,BPS:512
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] Set encoding to 1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] CHD image has geometry cyl=128, head=16, sect=40, size=512
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] Failed to read CHD sector arrangement/recording specs, applying defaults
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] Sector arrangement/recording specs have invalid values, applying defaults
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] Failed to read CHD track gap specs, applying defaults
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] MFM HD gap specs have invalid values, applying defaults

As you can see it mounts image HD1, HD2 but fails on HD3 on the HFDC image.

If I only mount images for HD1, 2 and 3 on HFDC and no IDE it works

[:ioport:peb] AMA/B/C address prefix set to 70000
[:ioport:peb] Slot 2 = :ioport:peb:slot2:32kmem
[:ioport:peb] Slot 3 = :ioport:peb:slot3:sidmaster
[:ioport:peb] Slot 4 = empty
[:ioport:peb] Slot 5 = empty
[:ioport:peb] Slot 6 = empty
[:ioport:peb] Slot 7 = empty
[:ioport:peb] Slot 8 = :ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] CHD metadata: CYLS:1984,HEADS:16,SECS:32,BPS:256
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] Set encoding to 1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] CHD image has geometry cyl=1984, head=16, sect=32, size=256
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] MFM HD rec specs: interleave=4, cylskew=0, headskew=0, wpcom=-1, rwc=-1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] MFM HD gap specs: gap1=16, gap2=3, gap3=18, sync=13, headerlen=5, ecctype=-1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1:generic] Calculated settle time: 9.80 ms, step: 195 us
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] CHD metadata: CYLS:1984,HEADS:16,SECS:32,BPS:256
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] Set encoding to 1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] CHD image has geometry cyl=1984, head=16, sect=32, size=256
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] MFM HD rec specs: interleave=4, cylskew=0, headskew=0, wpcom=-1, rwc=-1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] MFM HD gap specs: gap1=16, gap2=3, gap3=18, sync=13, headerlen=5, ecctype=-1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2:generic] Calculated settle time: 9.80 ms, step: 195 us
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] CHD metadata: CYLS:1984,HEADS:16,SECS:32,BPS:256
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] Set encoding to 1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] CHD image has geometry cyl=1984, head=16, sect=32, size=256
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] MFM HD rec specs: interleave=4, cylskew=0, headskew=0, wpcom=-1, rwc=-1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] MFM HD gap specs: gap1=16, gap2=3, gap3=18, sync=13, headerlen=5, ecctype=-1
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3:generic] Calculated settle time: 9.80 ms, step: 195 us
Soft reset
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc] FD connector 1 with 5.25" double density floppy drive
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc] FD connector 2 with 5.25" double density floppy drive
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc] FD connector 3 with 5.25" double density floppy drive
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc] FD connector 4 with 5.25" double density floppy drive
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc] HD connector 1 with Generic MFM hard disk
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc] HD connector 2 with Generic MFM hard disk
[:ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc] HD connector 3 with Generic MFM hard disk
[:maincpu] ** RESET triggered

so my questions is can I not mount the IDE disk controller and use hard disk images and HFDC with HD images at the same time?  When looking in the OSD menu I can see hard1, hard2, hard3, hard4,  hard5 as selections within the file manger area when I have both IDE and HFDC there.

maybe there is something wrong with the command i'm generating as I can mound them all within the OSD menu, but the command line is giving me issues.

C:\mame0225b>mame64.exe ti99_4a -gromport single  -joyport twinjoy -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot8 hfdc -ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:f1 525dd -ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:f2 525dd -ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:f3 525dd -ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -hard1 "c:/mame0225b/disks/hd1.hd" -ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -hard2 "C:/mame0225b/disks/hd2.hd" -ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h3 generic -hard3 "C:/mame0225b/disks/hd3.hd" -ioport:peb:slot7 ide -ioport:peb:slot7:ide:ata:0 hdd -hard4 "c:/mame0225b/disks/newide.hd" -ioport:peb:slot7:ide:ata:1 hdd -hard5 "c:/mame0225b/disks/newide2.hd" -window -uimodekey END

1 hour ago, Shift838 said:

does the zip file say Extended Basic 2.5 have to be named something specific that is hardcoded in mame?

or can this be changed?

For example:

exbas25           Extended Basic v2.5

can exbas25 be changed and still load somehow or it has to be 'exbas25.zip' ?

Yes, you have to name it "exbas25". Or you change the contents of hash/ti99_cart.xml. Have a look at the element <software name="exbas25">. The name determines the name of the ZIP file.

• Like 1

Concerning the issues with the parallel use of IDE and HFDC, mind that the "hardN" switches have no path specification. That is, they are assigned in order of initialization of the peripheral cards. The IDE defines one hard disk connector and picks hard1; then the HFDC gets hard2, hard3, hard4 (on h1, h2, h3).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mizapf said:

I added the ti carts to the rom path. Works now as you describe. Paths are separated with a semicolon.

Edited by polyex

On 10/6/2020 at 3:21 PM, arcadeshopper said:

The carts are here: http://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/MAME/all_carts.zip

put them in your roms dir or add their folder the mame.ini roms path

mame64 ti99_4a -cart advent ioport:peb:slot8 bwg -flop1 FLOPPY.DSK  

mame64 ti99_4a -cart advent ioport:peb:slot8 bwg -flop1 ADV.DSK

FAILS with:

"peb:slot8" approximately matches the following
supported software items (best match first):

* Software list "ti99_cart" (TI-99/4A cartridges) matches: 
superst           Super Storm
pertest           Peripheral Diagnostic Module