IGNORED

INTEREST CHECK: New Reproduction 7800 Sliver Labels…

pboland

Silver/Foil Atari 7800 Labels

(test print)

post-9874-0-85936800-1480599595_thumb.jpg

I'm currently working on Atari 2600 Sliver/Foil reproduction labels (pictured below). I'm looking at the possibility of making 7800 foil labels as well. Pictured above is my test print of a cartridge face label (1984 style). I could make them in the pictured 1984 style or the newer 1986 and on style. All of which would be in color of course. Please keep in mind a couple things: I can not print the color white. Anything white will be printed as transparent and therefor will be sliver/foil. Also it's difficult to properly photograph sliver/foil surfaces. They tend to come out looking very dark. Let me know what you guys think.

post-9874-0-13054200-1480599840_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Add me to that list, but I'm not sure I would really ever use them? I would likely just want to display them instead of the hassle of heat gunning the original labels off and putting reproductions onto my carts. Hmm...Between all the damn homebrew releases, new gadgets, and stuff like and his Intellivision Imagic overlay set...I'm going to be a poor individual for awhile...

Add me to that list, but I'm not sure I would really ever use them? I would likely just want to display them instead of the hassle of heat gunning the original labels off and putting reproductions onto my carts. Hmm...Between all the damn homebrew releases, new gadgets, and stuff like and his Intellivision Imagic overlay set...I'm going to be a poor individual for awhile...

I was thinking that if this label project happened...why even bother taking the old labels off? Might not be necessary.

I'm currently working on Atari 2600 Sliver/Foil reproduction labels (pictured below). I'm looking at the possibility of making 7800 foil labels as well. Pictured above is my test print of a cartridge face label (1984 style). I could make them in the pictured 1984 style or the newer 1986 and on style. All of which would be in color of course. Please keep in mind a couple things: I can not print the color white. Anything white will be printed as transparent and therefor will be sliver/foil. Also it's difficult to properly photograph sliver/foil surfaces. They tend to come out looking very dark. Let me know what you guys think.

Have you investigated some of the specialty printers that CAN print white or metallic ink?

http://www.okidata.com/printers/multimedia-production-platform/c900

They aren't $100 printers but for the amount and specialty nature of what you do there might be one worth it.

Well, more than 20k is a bit much for just doing labels and boxes ;)

Have you investigated some of the specialty printers that CAN print white or metallic ink?
They aren't $100 printers but for the amount and specialty nature of what you do there might be one worth it.

Yep. Please keep in mind I don't use $100.00 printers. Mine are a little more expensive than that.

As for printers that print the color "white", the current "low end" choices are a couple laser printers that start around $4,000.00 or you have to get a solvent based printer which starts around $6,000.00. The problem with solvent ink is if you don't print on it every day it will clog and get very costly to keep running. As for metallic, you will need to spend around $10,000.00. This too is a solvent based printer. Please keep in mind these are the starting prices or lower cost options.

Once the cost gets around $1,000.00, it may be feasible. One other thing, even if you do get a printer that can print white or metallic ink, it's still very costly to actually print on those printers as the ink isn't cheap. So it's not just the cost of the printers itself, but the ink and (in the case of solvent based printers) maintenance on those printers that really puts them over the top.

Well, more than 20k is a bit much for just doing labels and boxes ;)

Well, that was just an example ;)

I know there are cheaper ones starting 4 around 4K. I do know there is also a way to buy special white ink to refill a black inkjet and reverse the white to be black in the image, but that also has issues.

Yep. Please keep in mind I don't use $100.00 printers. Mine are a little more expensive than that.

As for printers that print the color "white", the current "low end" choices are a couple laser printers that start around $4,000.00 or you have to get a solvent based printer which starts around $6,000.00. The problem with solvent ink is if you don't print on it every day it will clog and get very costly to keep running. As for metallic, you will need to spend around $10,000.00. This too is a solvent based printer. Please keep in mind these are the starting prices or lower cost options.

Once the cost gets around $1,000.00, it may be feasible. One other thing, even if you do get a printer that can print white or metallic ink, it's still very costly to actually print on those printers as the ink isn't cheap. So it's not just the cost of the printers itself, but the ink and (in the case of solvent based printers) maintenance on those printers that really puts them over the top.

I know you don't use $100 printers (neither do I ;) ) that's why I prefaced my entry...

Just charge Cmart more to fund these enterprises, he won't notice...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to that list, but I'm not sure I would really ever use them? I would likely just want to display them instead of the hassle of heat gunning the original labels off and putting reproductions onto my carts. Hmm...

What you could do is get some super common 2600 carts and put the labels on those if you are wanting to display them. Mount them to a board and frame them. That would look pretty cool. I might have to try that myself. :)

• 3 months later...

Update. I would like to have 15 titles before I start offering these for sale. Right now I have 12. Yes, I know some of these would have never been in this style, but I like it so much that I decide to go forward. I still have to make Pole Position II, Tower Toppler, and Xevious. Those three title will round out this collection.

post-9874-0-86337500-1491395876_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure about Jinks and Barnyard Blaster being on there.. why not change them to:

Xevious and Mario Bros?

And for 2 more to add, I would suggest Commando, Alien Brigrade and then either of these for the third:

Tower Toppler, Ninja Golf, Mean 18? Could have a poll asking AAers what they think?

Really sore that Atari didn't go ahead with this label design back in the day. It would have made the 7800 games stand out much better and presented them in a more Pro style that Atari was originally going for.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure about Jinks and Barnyard Blaster being on there.. why not change them to:

Xevious and Mario Bros?

And for 2 more to add, I would suggest Commando, Alien Brigrade and then either of these for the third:

Tower Toppler, Ninja Golf, Mean 18? Could have a poll asking AAers what they think?

Really sore that Atari didn't go ahead with this label design back in the day. It would have made the 7800 games stand out much better and presented them in a more Pro style that Atari was originally going for.

Yes, but remember, we're talking about the difference between Atari Inc and Atari Corp here...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see there is some interest in this project. Just a reminder:

Until June 16 (2017) each Set of fifteen Labels is $65.00 USD plus shipping. Shipping inside the U.S.A. will be USPS Priority Mail $7.00. Shipping to Canada is First Class International mail USPS $12.00. Shipping anywhere else in the world is $22.00. I only accept payment via PayPal. The stated shipping cost is for up to 2 sets. Any more than that will require more shipping.

TO ORDER:
PM me with the subject line "1984 Style Replacement Labels" and state how many sets you wish to order and what country it will be shipped to. Be sure to include your PayPal email address in your PM. This is so I can send you an invoice. I'm making these on demand so I will need one week turn around to put orders together. Once your order is ready to go I will invoice you. Then when the invoice is paid, I should have your order in the mail within 24-36 hours (not including weekends/holidays).
If you still have questions, just ask. I will answer them as quickly as I can.