IGNORED

Tanglewood Kickstarter

adamchevy

A new demo was released earlier this week (version 0.8.01). You can download it from Tanglewood's itch.io page.

After playing it, I really do want this game. I'm not buying it now, but I think I will eventually.

Thanks for the heads up on the new demo chicgamer! I finally got an EverDrive for my Genesis in the mail earlier this week and the first thing I played on it was was the old demo of Tanglewood, and I just finished playing through the new demo that you linked to. So far I think it's a wonderful puzzle platformer game with a beautiful style and a lot of challenge to it. I've got a few very minor complaints like the little hogg monsters one hit killing you just the same as the big djakk ones do, and it would be cool if Nymn would tilt his adorable little head up or down to look in the direction you're pressing when you peek up or down, but those are all pretty minor and stuff that will hopefully get sorted out in the final release.

Overall I love Tanglewood so far and I'd really like to buy a copy as well after playing the demos, the price is just… ouch. At the current £ to $ conversion rate it would be $88 shipped for a copy of Tanglewood, which is almost as much as I paid for my Mega EverDrive X5. I still might end up ponying up the cash for Tanglewood eventually though, because this game is probably too charming for me to resist forever. :lol:

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

because this game is probably too charming for me to resist forever. :lol:

Figured it might have that right balance of gore and furries! LOL

But seriously I agree, this looks like a fantastic game in the works and I backed for a CIB version on Kickstarter. It wasn't quite as expensive then, but still not cheap either. Then again I think my copy of Escape 2042 for the Genesis was over $60 as well when I purchased it and that was from a US distributor too. So Genesis homebrews with the exception of the PlayonRetro games tend to be pricey.

As last report, the kickstarters were advised that the game is essentially feature complete and under going beta soon. So it seems that if all goes well, it could see a release soon and definitely on track for a release this year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here purchased a preorder? Any idea of when itll ship and do you get any type of regular updates? I may splurge next paycheck.

I believe on the kickstarter backers are getting any kind of regular updates on the game status. I don't believe an actual ship date has been given. Only a general statement that they are on track for a release this year. Originally on the kickstarter campaign I believe they estimated the release to be in Fall 2018 so they appear to still be on track for that currently.

• 3 months later...

Curious if anyone punched a copy form the preorder link and has any ideas when it might ship?

I don't have any concrete dates but this is what I do know based on the updates that have been going on to backers on Fridays:

- Game code is now in Gold status so it has essentially gone through all debugging etc and is ready to be put onto carts.

- Inserts and cases have been received and are being put together

- Progress on the ports to other systems like the Mac is progressing quickly now

- There will be a Steam release I believe to coincide with the Genesis/MD releases

- PCBs have been ordered but are still a few weeks away from being received

Basically the game is very close to release as all that remains once the PCBs come in, is assembly burning, and testing of the carts. But no definite timelines given. Again they were initially estimating a Fall 2018 release and It looks pretty good that they will come out ahead of that estimate. Even if they were ready, I'd be fine with the initial fall release if it gives them more time to any last minute testing etc. I'm sure they will test the game again fully on a production PCB and components to be sure no issues arise.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

• 3 weeks later...

I believe on the kickstarter backers are getting any kind of regular updates on the game status. I don't believe an actual ship date has been given. Only a general statement that they are on track for a release this year. Originally on the kickstarter campaign I believe they estimated the release to be in Fall 2018 so they appear to still be on track for that currently.

No ship date has been given but I believe it's happening soon (around two months from now but I don't have any details on it), since the PCBs are supposed to be ready in a week or so.

I was part of the closed beta of this game and I believe whoever backed/pre-ordered it will be very happy with the investment.

Edited by Barone

• 3 weeks later...

These kinds of games are exactly what I am looking for...brand new games, created from the ground up by passionate programmers. Just awesome! The quality looks to be there. A huge undertaking for certain. I'm not a huge platformer fan but would have signed on just go support. If only the NES could see more releases like this at this quality point...droooool.

These kinds of games are exactly what I am looking for...brand new games, created from the ground up by passionate programmers. Just awesome! The quality looks to be there. A huge undertaking for certain. I'm not a huge platformer fan but would have signed on just go support. If only the NES could see more releases like this at this quality point...droooool.

The game's main inspiration is LIMBO so this will not be a typical Mario style platformer but rather an adventure/puzzle game with platforming elements.

The game's main inspiration is LIMBO so this will not be a typical Mario style platformer but rather an adventure/puzzle game with platforming elements.

And there is nothing wrong with that at all! I'm so glad I did back this. Between this game and Xenocrisis and possibly at least some word on Paprium in the fall, it is going to be one hell of a 30th anniversary for Sega's finest console!

In case any of you just want a ROM version of the game to play on an Everdrive, the Steam version (which you can buy now) includes the Genesis ROM file.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/837190/TANGLEWOOD/

This is because the Steam version is actually just running the genesis/md rom file in a customized emulator that was written for the game. And it is a good thing they did this because the steam version running through steam, doesn't display properly on my computer and is essentially unplayable. Since the actual rom is uses and embedded in the files, I was able to just play that in emulation or as I was last night, stick it onto my megaED and play it on actual hardware.

It is really an amazing game and I'm very glad that I backed this. Excited to get my physical cartridge version as well once those start to ship!

I received word that they were able to confirm my suspicions that PC users with 4k monitors or using high DPI settings are likely to have issues with the game not displaying properly...etc. They have confirmed that setting your desktop res back to 1080p or setting your scaling options in the display section back to 100% should allow the game to open properly and access the menu configuration etc.

They also stated that this is a primary issue being address in the first patch to be released this week.

Quite the dedication and willingness to listen to their fans and customers!

The game is really excellent as well and you should buy it!!!

Had anyone received the North American style Genesis cart for this game in the mail yet? I wanna see pictures of it so I can feel covetous. icon_razz.gif

I don't think they have even started to ship any of the physical carts yet. I believe they are still waiting on the populated PCBs to get sent back to them. I could be wrong, but I don't believe shipping of the actual carts will start until the end of the month or early next month. That is why I'm so glad that those with physical cart purchases like myself, also got a copy of the digital version that we can play now while we wait. Even better is that the password codes from the Steam version can still be pulled up and do work on the Genesis. So once I have the cart I can start playing from it exactly where I've left off on the Steam and flash cart versions that I have now for use.

I didn't play the latest demo they released, but I was surprised at how much more was packed into the game since I had played the earlier demo of the game. More subtle animations I didn't know would be present, and the boss characters are huge on the screen and exciting to figure out how to beat plus weather elements.

I also was surprised by the the additional game play mechanic that is introduced I think at the beginning of chapter 3. But I don't want to spoil that for those who might not have played it yet. But it does add to the puzzle elements of the levels more and a great and fun surprise to see.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

That is why I'm so glad that those with physical cart purchases like myself, also got a copy of the digital version that we can play now while we wait.

Do you know if people who preorder the physical copy now off the Tangewood site can access the digital version, or was that just a Kickstarter perk? I don't see any mention of the ROM being included.

Do you know if people who preorder the physical copy now off the Tangewood site can access the digital version, or was that just a Kickstarter perk? I don't see any mention of the ROM being included.

Well, I ordered a physical copy but I did so as a kickstarter backer. I received an email that had a Steam code in it to activate the game and then was told how to get the actual genesis/md rom file that the Steam version uses from the actual installed files themselves.

The steam version is literally running the actual genesis/md rom file through an emulator that BigEvilCorp created for the game. They had to do it this way in order to offer the digital version outside of Steam. Steam wouldn't allow them to include it a separate file, so they used Steams system again them and created the game for the PC and MAC to run in a emulator that uses the actual rom itself. Pretty ingenious I thought!

• Like 1