IGNORED

Sony PVM20-L2 Not Working

KreatorKat

I recently purchased a Sony PVM20-L2 off of eBay for a decent price, but there was one catch: the monitor didn't come with a power cord.

I bought this cord off of amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00073FCNK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seemed like it would do the job just fine and reviewers used it for similar purposes. I seem to remember the listing saying it was a 110v cord and the PVM accepts 100-240v, but I don't see that number on the amazon listing anywhere anymore, so either it was changed or I'm remembering wrong.

I received the PVM today and the wire seems to fit into the AC in fine, but the monitor will not power on :(. I have no idea if it is the fault of the cable or the PVM being broken. Additionally, when I press the power button, it does not "spring back" when pressed again to turn it off as I presumed it would; instead the button has to be manually pulled out. Does anyone know if this intentional or if my power button is broken?

Do any of you guys have any ideas as to whether the cable I bought should work, whether its the PVM's fault, whether the power button is functioning properly, or how I (as someone who has essentially no modding/electrical experience) could check to see if it is broken internally?

Thank you!

The cable is just a regular plain old vanilla dirt common IEC power cord that quite honestly, I'm surprised you had to purchase! Probably have at least one laying around *somewhere* in your house. :P

Anyway, I bet the power switch is toast. Should click in and stay in for power up. Push in again, hear a click and power goes off. Those types of power switches do break and what I've done in a pinch on Commodore monitors, is to simply bypass the switch and use a surge protector to turn it on/off. Should be obvious what leads to jump once you get at the switch and its wiring, but if not, post a pic here and one of us should be able to tell you what to do.

BTW: convenient that the eBay seller didn't have a cord, huh? Gimme a break.

• Like 1

The cable is just a regular plain old vanilla dirt common IEC power cord that quite honestly, I'm surprised you had to purchase! Probably have at least one laying around *somewhere* in your house. :P

Anyway, I bet the power switch is toast. Should click in and stay in for power up. Push in again, hear a click and power goes off. Those types of power switches do break and what I've done in a pinch on Commodore monitors, is to simply bypass the switch and use a surge protector to turn it on/off. Should be obvious what leads to jump once you get at the switch and its wiring, but if not, post a pic here and one of us should be able to tell you what to do.

BTW: convenient that the eBay seller didn't have a cord, huh? Gimme a break.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I'm going to have to open it up and take a look. I probably will end up posting a pic here because honestly I don't know much about wiring. And yea, eBay... Love to hate it. But it's just the only way to get some things...

Looks like fixing this is going to have to wait at least a few days :(. I'm not going to have any time at all to do anything at all with it this weekend- I wasn't expecting the PVM to arrive until early next week. Also, I might be able to get a friend who knows much more about electronics (and how to be safe with them) than me to look at it shortly afterward. Until then it would be great if anyone else has any comments on their ideas or experiences with anything like this!

It was a common failture in the 80 on European electronics (Franco German TVs, the Videopac+ )

Try to press the power putton and hold it to see if your monitor powers up. It it does, then you have to replace the switch and that's it (or use the good old bit of paper to keep it pressed.). If not, then you might have to do further investigations...