IGNORED

Proposal for a hack to Space Invaders Arcade

procyon

Hi all. I had an idea that's been stuck in my head for a week now, so I thought I would share it. "Space Invaders Arcade" is one of my all-time favorite hacks, but I was thinking about the version of the arcade game that projects the image onto a backdrop artwork. I was wondering if it were possible to marry the SI Arcade hack with the kind of background present in Air Sea Battle, in an attempt to recreate the backdrop version of the arcade.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll just describe what I was thinking in pictures:

post-345-0-90638300-1480643407_thumb.jpg => post-345-0-41318500-1480643407_thumb.png + post-345-0-94004600-1480643406_thumb.png = post-345-0-01008100-1480643422_thumb.png

Would something like this be possible? As a bonus, the Color/B&W switch could be used to toggle between the backdrop version and the "vanilla" black space version.

I lack the skills to develop something like this. Would anyone be interested in taking up the challenge?

• Like 1

I was trying to capture the artwork of the rounded ground on the bottom. Natually I don't expect to be able to reproduce the curvature of the surface, but the artwork clearly puts the cannon and the shields below the horizon. Here is another screenshot, this time of the SNES version which is recreating the arcade backdrop artwork. What's interesting about this depiction, is that it similarly uses bands of gradiants to darken the sky as it goes higher.

post-345-0-39570900-1480694089_thumb.png

• Like 1