IGNORED

Selling PS2 but need advice on possible hardware issue

I dug out my PS2 from storage a few weeks ago to test it. It has a Matrix Infinity modchip and I was thinking of using it for running emulators but have now decided that the Wii would probably be easier to use and do a better job. When trying it out there seemed to be a slight issue with the controller or controller port. It wasn't working too well. I found it difficult to select options from game menus and I think some directions weren't working. However, after a while it seemed to fix itself. Anyone come across anything like this before?

Pre-owned Wii consoles are so cheap now, a warranty is pretty pointless. Plus there are precautions you can take to prevent bricking your console and Wii systems tend to be more reliable than a PS2. You can also reverse the softmod if you want. There are plenty more of homebrew games and emulators that run on the Wii.The original Xbox is still my personal favorite for emulation and homebrew, but the Wii is way more easier to add stuff.

If you have access to a PSone, I'd test the controller out on that. The problem I have with my PS2 controller is that it won't work sometimes because of the wires in the cord. I stored my PS2 vertically since about 2002 and it caused a kink on the controller cord from drooping down off the system. If I use the controller on my PSOne, sometimes it doesn't work right away. I have to mess with the cord where it meets the controller port plug. How long was it in storage?

Our Wii is already softmodded. Did it years ago, so warranty isn't an issue. ;-) I run games off an external hard drive.

The PS2 has been in storage for at least 2 years. I put it back in its box when we moved but can't remember if it was in storage before that or if I had it in the house but not being used.

I have got a spare PS2 controller somewhere. I really need to start going through the attic and sheds to sort everything out. Next door neighbour was looking to buy our Wii Fit board. I can't find it anywhere.

On WII you have to have homebrew channel so that's no good. That voids warantee and can brick your wii. So ps2 is better.

I never heard of softmodding the Wii through the Homebrew channel being able to brick a Wii. Unless you mean installing a firmwave via the Homebrew channel, but that's useless now, everything can be launched from it easily and with no brick risks.

For the controller issue, since it seems to go away after a time, i think that the contacts are dirty. Open it, rub the PCB and the rubber domes with crystal vinegar and your should get a brand new PS2 controller.

I never heard of softmodding the Wii through the Homebrew channel being able to brick a Wii. Unless you mean installing a firmwave via the Homebrew channel, but that's useless now, everything can be launched from it easily and with no brick risks.

For the controller issue, since it seems to go away after a time, i think that the contacts are dirty. Open it, rub the PCB and the rubber domes with crystal vinegar and your should get a brand new PS2 controller.

Softmodding involved installing new firmware through an exploit. I did about half a dozen machines years ago and was always crossing my fingers every time just in case I did brick the machine I was working on. Thankfully the procedure always went smoothly.