IGNORED

Unable to read disc error

Galactus

Some Wii drives can't read dual layer DVD's. You might want to check that. For instance, Super Smash Bros. can't be read by the drives that don't read dual layer discs. Another thing could be that your lens is dirty. Any cd cleaner would work if that is the issue. If the lens is out of alignment though, it will need to be fixed by opening up the drive and getting it back on track. Lastly, it could be that your drive has finally burned out. 10 years is pretty decent for a drive used on a regular basis. You can get replacement ones on ebay and they are easy to replace.

Thanks Shawn. I'll try a generic CD cleaner. It's not the dual layer thing because it can't read anything. I actually bought a replacement Wii console when I saw it was the same price as the Wii lens cleaning kit. I still want to get mine working because I have quite a few downloaded games installed on it.

Thanks Shawn. I'll try a generic CD cleaner. It's not the dual layer thing because it can't read anything. I actually bought a replacement Wii console when I saw it was the same price as the Wii lens cleaning kit. I still want to get mine working because I have quite a few downloaded games installed on it.

Ya, it's crazy. The price of a replacement disc drive is the same as a whole console at this point. But as you mentioned, it's all about keeping the DLC unless you have a modded console.

If the drive really is cooked, I might suggest hacking the Wii and running backups from an external drive.

This. It's one of the easiest systems to softmod. An added bonus is you'll be able to use Gameshark/Action Replay like cheats if you want. A small few games may have issues running from a USB drive. The 2.5D Kirby game I'm having issues with. Eventually I got it to work, but then I updated to a new App version and it froze again. If you can find a cheap Wii that has a working disc drive, I'd still get one if you can't get your's to work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...