IGNORED

Color output from IIc

AtariNostalgia

I have rediscovered a few of my computers from back in the day, and found my old IIc

I have tried every combination I can try on the TVs I have, but all I get is B&W, never color.

The things is, I remember in school, the IIc had color from the same RCA port (not the monitor output).

I have tried many cables just in case, but its still B&W.

Does anyone remember If the IIc could output color from the RCA port or am I slowly losing it?? :?

The IIc doesn't output a proper NTSC composite signal. (Apple themselves say it's "similar to" a standard composite signal in the IIc reference manual.) If you're getting black and white, then you need to use RF instead. Or get another TV, because the problem is that your TV is unforgiving of the IIc's non-conforming signal. I don't think there's any way to fix it.

That output port was really intended for Apple's own monitors, although you could probably use it with some TV's as well. But they included an RF modulator in the box for use with the video expansion port, which is what I used when I wanted color. (I had the green IIc monitor, which was hooked into the "composite" port.)

Edited by spacecadet

Never had issues with my IIc and lcd tv's

What are you using to test color like a game or the good old color bar generator basic program?

There is also a color killer in there so it cuts out the color burst reference signal in text modes, might be something wrong with that as well

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem than the one explained by the OP (5 years before, sorry for this ?). Recently I get an Apple IIc (612-0128-A motherboard and 4X ROM) and at the moment I connected it only to a TV. This TV properly shows colour using my Apple IIe and a couple or retrocomputers, but when I connect the Apple IIc I only get a B&W image. I'll try to find another monitor/TV where to connect the Apple IIe and test.

Meanwhile, I guess that my motherboard is a PAL version, not an NTSC one (it's a german Apple IIc), but I did'nt find how to check this. Motherboard reference do not helps. The Apple IIc Technical Reference manual only refers to the NTSC board, not the PAL. Where can I found this information?

On the other hand, it's crazy that an RF modulator must be used to get colour, because as you know, quality of RF is worst compared with composite video.

10 hours ago, towmater said:

I recommend an RGB2HDMI, although you'll have to do some wiring to the serial monitor signals on the 15-pin connector.

Screenshot 2021-10-20 11.26.29.png

I'm not sure what do you mean. As far as I know the Apple IIc video output isn't an standard RGB one so, it's not just to connect cables, some electronic circuits must be involved.

I've got an old 12" Sears TV with composite in, and it displays colour with my IIe, IIc, and IIGS.

I've got Citizen 19C705  LCD which performs magic on my IIe with an 80 column card.

When you power everything up, the 80 column is horrific on it, but when you power off the monitor

and power it on again, it looks fantastic.  (40 column is quite pooh also, until you turn off the monitor and restart it).

I am of the opinion that Apple II colour idiosyncrasies were worse in the 80's than now, as a surprising

number of newer monitors accommodate its signal.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:19 AM, Papalapa said:

I'm not sure what do you mean. As far as I know the Apple IIc video output isn't an standard RGB one so, it's not just to connect cables, some electronic circuits must be involved.

Google RGB2HDMI. It's a project to use a Pi zero with a custom hat to convert RGB to HDMI. It can be used with the //c. It's pretty DIY though, as I don't believe anyone is currently selling the custom hardware prebuilt. 

• Like 1