IGNORED

High Score Competition Dec 16: Alpiner

mizapf

I'll try my hand at this...but I never was very good at it. My only concern is having to listen to "Fingal's Cave" by Mendelssohn over and over again while trying to get a high score. Of course, I could turn off the volume, but then I can't hear the speech synthesizer warning me of falling objects. :-)

I'll try my hand at this...but I never was very good at it. My only concern is having to listen to "Fingal's Cave" by Mendelssohn over and over again while trying to get a high score. Of course, I could turn off the volume, but then I can't hear the speech synthesizer warning me of falling objects. :-)

Wonder if it's possible to add a small speaker inside the SS... or a speaker out jack. That would solve your problem. :lol:

Man, that snowman on Level 6 is a no good, dirty rotten, cheatin' son of a... !@#$% :rolling:

post-13896-0-02807400-1481073540_thumb.jpg

I'll try my hand at this...but I never was very good at it. My only concern is having to listen to "Fingal's Cave" by Mendelssohn over and over again while trying to get a high score.

Isn't it "Anitra's Dance"?

BTW, in MAME you can indeed turn off the sound from the sound generator and just keep the speech synthesizer. Tell you, if you keep complaining, someone's going to suggest Burger Time for the next round. :-D

• Like 3

I am actually wondering how the scoring works:

* I do not see my seconds counting down (sometimes it does when you hit an object or something like that)

in classic99 (but I saw in the video of Greg that it did not count down as well)

* once you fall down, you need to reach the same point again, before it starts counting points

* If you stay at a certain level on the mountain and move left and right a bit and up then it counts points.

Cannot complete figure out how it works yet (but it looks to me there is a kind of limit in points to score unless you reach the top and move to a next level?)

There is probably a max. of points to score per mountain?

New score: 39099

post-39490-0-47371300-1481100790_thumb.jpg

post-39490-0-94557500-1481100808_thumb.jpg

but there is a very irritating figure (snowman with red propeller head?)

to pass by (I believe he brought me down 6 times several meters and

then you can climb up again, but also it seems the sprites do not

move smoothly here). Just curious if other people also see this happening?

Reached Mount Everest

post-39490-0-00408800-1481100811_thumb.jpg

Then in next round ther are new objects falling down from the mountain!

Hi Vorticon, strategy:

* Sticking to the edges is the best to switch between sides

* When you have falling objects, then wait until the next falling item comes (because you have more time to move left and right)

* Once you have falling objects and enough space, then go up in diagonal direction

* best is to use a Joystick (I am using Suzo the Arcade, with the DB9 to USB converter and Classic99)

* when you see larger moving sprite items passing by (like the Skunk, Eagle, Snowman/Skieer), then try to keep moving

away from it (e.g. using the edges at the screen)

* I noticed that the seconds only count down when standing still (not moving). Not sure if that is an emulator issue

(I would like to play on the real iron, but no room for it at the moment to install it)

Once you cleared Mt. Everest, it is easier to go a few levels further

New: 56268

post-39490-0-30461800-1481112510_thumb.jpg

Sometimes double your points, so once again - you emulator people are all cheaters! :ponder: :rolling:

Real iron or bust on these so-called "competitions" I say. ;)

I don't quite understand ... there is no difference between MAME and real iron. ;) ... couldn' resist

(But you can of course try to verify that on "real iron" and post a video clip)

My bad and apologies... misread what globeron said about the seconds counting down. Yes, time stands still that way when you're on the move or holding in the button. :dunce:

Thought there was an emulator glitch where seconds weren't counting down. That's why it would be easier to double your score. And I have no problem photographing or uploading a video of my scores using legacy hardware if need be. We've got the technology™!

Isn't it "Anitra's Dance"?

BTW, in MAME you can indeed turn off the sound from the sound generator and just keep the speech synthesizer. Tell you, if you keep complaining, someone's going to suggest Burger Time for the next round. :-D

You are indeed correct. Mixing up my classical music references. Thanks for the correction.

but there is a very irritating figure (snowman with red propeller head?)

to pass by (I believe he brought me down 6 times several meters and

OMG ... you've seen Him! Manual, p. 7:

When you near the top of Mt. Everest, you come face to face with the most feared of all the mountain beasts - the ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN - on skis! Treacherous and fast, the SNOWMAN skis toward you and, in the blink of an eye, sends you crashing to the bottom of the mountain.

Concerning the time:

Bonuses for beating the clock: A bonus of twice the base points for each step is allowed for each second you have remaining on the time recorder when you reach the top of the mountain. [...] Note: Time allotted for your climb is not counted down except when the Alpiner is not moving.

Bonuses:

Bonus points are awarded for touching the small green targets that flash periodically in the extended paws [...]

If you encounter a vulture's nest, try to stay a while, and mother vulture will drop a rotten egg on you. Also, there are bats that will attack from their black caves.

Edited by mizapf

Played the hell out of this tonight and cannot pass the Snowman!! It literally does cheat as even when you do accidentally somehow barely make it past him, he pops out of nowhere and grabs you. And while you might only fall a few feet at first, he pops out of nowhere again and sends you falling to your doom! On my machine, he's not fully drawn in either. More like an outlined ghost that flickers spastically. Looked at some gameplay videos and yep, this is "normal" for the snowman.

BTW: speaking of glitches, found yet another bad multi-game cartridge issue. Games 6 cartridge, where Alpiner resides, the speech is all messed up. Sometimes she gets a full sentence out, but mostly sounds garbled with random words here and there.

Tried playing the game without the SS hooked up, thinking it might scroll along a little smoother, but nope. Still pauses a brief second before the rocks fall. That gal sure likes to hear herself speak! Need no more proof of that as she's still warning you to beware, even when you're near the top and nothing is falling. The music I can deal with but the constant nagging in your ear is what I needed to squelch! :lol:

post-13896-0-62859700-1481161572_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

yes the speech on the files that were used for the multicart was sacrificed to make it fit in memory

I think this fact should be stated clearly on the arcadeshopper site to potential buyers. Speech is an important feature for the character of some games like Alpiner, Parsec etc... and not having it might be a deal breaker to some.

I think this fact should be stated clearly on the arcadeshopper site to potential buyers. Speech is an important feature for the character of some games like Alpiner, Parsec etc... and not having it might be a deal breaker to some.

I thought about this and decided to go ahead and note the multicarts with Some games have been modified to fit in this format and speech/title screens may not be perfect.

I don't want to mislead people but also I don't make the images. They are a product of the community work here copying disk versions together to make the multicarts and they are what they are :)

• Like 1