IGNORED

Framemeister production drawing to a close.

Ultimately the market overall is moving toward having the console/computer generate a signal the current on-market-today display devices can handle.

Dot addressable displays are here to stay for the foreseeable future. While games like Combat and Flag Capture and Basic Math may remain a favorite staple among classic gamers, messing around with connections and converters isn't. Today's gamer simply doesn't want the hassle.

Using hardware that generates native (to the display) output is becoming the norm. Like it or not it is what is happening. And none of us are going to stop it. It has always been that way. The TV industry didn't make any concessions for gamers in the 70's and 80's and they aren't about to start now. Consoles have always chased after the in-vogue TV standard.

I don't have any illusions otherwise, which is why I think that statement in the article at 4gamer mentioning it might be the last xrgb is a very real possibility. It just doesn't make sense for a large IC manufacturer to fire up a design which scales analog 480i all the way up to 4K in 2016. The processor the Framemeister uses was designed in 2009, where there was still enough concern for older content. Newer 4K's are rolling out without analog inputs, only HDMI. So the folks over at HD retrovision are really behind the times, their cables really should have dropped 10 years ago.

As far as 4K sets only liking 4K, currently it seems some are actually quicker with 1080P content, others prefer native 4K, and others don't care. If down the road 1080P sources become a problem, there's always something like this which from what I've read handles its business instantaneously: https://www.hdfury.com/4k-linker-ultra-scaling-modes-in-progress/

Drop one of those after the Framemeister.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

This video best explains HD CRTs

https://youtu.be/EH7xrFM9re4

HD CRTs do offer the best of both worlds, the smoothness of a CRT with high definition modes. But they only have componet inputs so you'll need a HDMI converter.

And as much as I would love to have one in my bedroom, I am not lugging that big heavy thing up the steps. :P

My HD CRT has HDMI so they do exist. Unfortunately mine is upstairs and I can't get it down into my game room as it weighs 245 pounds (its 36"). So I have to use a 20 inch PVM instead.

I considered pulling the trigger on a Framemeister before, but the cost vs other solutions was too high. I had a friend bring his over once (a mini I think) and it looked absolutely terrible on my older LCD. My little 20" PVM with a scart adapter blew it away.

My HD CRT has HDMI so they do exist. Unfortunately mine is upstairs and I can't get it down into my game room as it weighs 245 pounds (its 36"). So I have to use a 20 inch PVM instead.

I considered pulling the trigger on a Framemeister before, but the cost vs other solutions was too high. I had a friend bring his over once (a mini I think) and it looked absolutely terrible on my older LCD. My little 20" PVM with a scart adapter blew it away.

What sort of resolution was your LCD display? I've seen a mini-xrgb with RGB modded NES on a 1080p set and it looked 'too good', almost emulator-like.

I generally do my old school gaming on a CRT, but I am thinking of grabbing a Framemeister in the next couple months. I want to be future proofed given that CRTs are no longer produced and HDMI looks like it's going to be around for a while; given modern tvs are cutting even the component jacks it seems like a decent pickup.

^^^^^^

That. For those who went the CRT path, the future looks a bit uncertain.

Either source an upscaler (older micomsoft units seem to be unaffected by price hikes for now) and related cables plus any required modifications or source more CRTs.

Hoping there will be more projects like the OSSC that can some day match and surpass the XRGB.

I didn't go the upscaler path but find it interesting to read about the different setups and modifications. Will be following this story closely.

This figures.. Just when I finally start slowly upgrading all my old consoles for HDTV, I was planning on getting a Framemeister very soon.. The damn thing gets discontinued. I was still holding off due to price but now I wish I'd have gotten one. Looks like I'll still be waiting a while.. Oh well. Guess I'll have to investigate other options but what terrible timing. :(

This figures.. Just when I finally start slowly upgrading all my old consoles for HDTV, I was planning on getting a Framemeister very soon.. The damn thing gets discontinued. I was still holding off due to price but now I wish I'd have gotten one. Looks like I'll still be waiting a while.. Oh well. Guess I'll have to investigate other options but what terrible timing. :(

It's still available for pre-order at solarisjapan.com. Actually priced better than it ever has been (Used to be $400, then $350, now it's $311) I would jump on it. Worst case scenario you WILL be able to unload it for what you paid for it, if not more.

• Like 1

I believe it was an N64 on my 1080i TV (it doesn't do 1080p)

The N64 is one that doesn't handle upscaling very well. The system relies on that natural blur and the sharper look makes it easier to pick out the flaws in everything. 3D in general can be like this, but it's especially bad with the 64.

If you are using the Framemeister for 2D stuff though and are feeding it RGB, games look phenomenal. Razor-sharp pixels.

The N64 is one that doesn't handle upscaling very well. The system relies on that natural blur and the sharper look makes it easier to pick out the flaws in everything. 3D in general can be like this, but it's especially bad with the 64.

If you are using the Framemeister for 2D stuff though and are feeding it RGB, games look phenomenal. Razor-sharp pixels.

I've got a N64 hooked up to the framemeister through s-video, and it looks decent enough. It was a blurry on crts as well, so you can't really win with it. I'm not dedicated enough to the system to install that HDMI mod, and from what I've seen a lot of games make heavy use of dithering (even noticeable through svideo). I'll probably mod it with a RGB board at some point and call it a day.

I've got a N64 hooked up to the framemeister through s-video, and it looks decent enough. It was a blurry on crts as well, so you can't really win with it. I'm not dedicated enough to the system to install that HDMI mod, and from what I've seen a lot of games make heavy use of dithering (even noticeable through svideo). I'll probably mod it with a RGB board at some point and call it a day.

I need to try my N64 through the Framemeister via S-Video. I did it with the Dreamcast a few weeks back and surprisingly the results weren't that bad. Not sharp enough to ruin 3D games, but not soft enough to have it look like someone took a dump on the screen. To be fair, the DC used dithering much less (if even at all, hard to think of examples off the top of my head), so it has the clear advantage there.

Along the topic of dithering, in recent weeks I have been playing a lot of 32X and Saturn through the Framemeister, and the dithering really hurts several of these games when upscaled. On Saturn it's mostly in the polygon stuff, but on the 32X, like with a lot of Genesis games, it's all over the 2D stuff too. I'm also realizing there was a lot more dithering used in many of these games than I realized. Even on a CRT some dithering effects are obvious, but there are other examples that are not, like the health bars in the 32X MK2. It's kind of jarring when you're used to seeing a supposedly solid color bar, and you look up to find you're looking at a checkered board pattern instead.

I've got a N64 hooked up to the framemeister through s-video, and it looks decent enough. It was a blurry on crts as well, so you can't really win with it.

Smearbegone! http://www.retrorgb.com/n64blur Well sort of :)

Just heard about this the other day and just tried it on my RGB modded N64 with San Francisco Rush. This filter disable is going to be a real subjective thing, but trying it with one whole game so far - I like it! :D

Since Kevtris's idea for the Zimba 3000 is an FPGA based console of many consoles that can output hi-def through HDMI then could the discontinuation of the Framemeister make the Zimba 3000 more desirable and/or be an acceptable replacement for the Framemeister as well as many of the consoles that you would use with it? I mean, if it is basically many hi-def HDMI modded consoles in one then isn't it not just replacement hardware for the consoles but also for devices like the Framemeister?

Since Kevtris's idea for the Zimba 3000 is an FPGA based console of many consoles that can output hi-def through HDMI then could the discontinuation of the Framemeister make the Zimba 3000 more desirable and/or be an acceptable replacement for the Framemeister as well as many of the consoles that you would use with it? I mean, if it is basically many hi-def HDMI modded consoles in one then isn't it not just replacement hardware for the consoles but also for devices like the Framemeister?

That all depends on how much care and processing is taken in the final output stages.

My feeling is I don't believe it will be a replacement for the framemeister.

That all depends on how much care and processing is taken in the final output stages.

My feeling is I don't believe it will be a replacement for the framemeister.

It's not really in the same class, not without a total new hardware revision. At which point it would be a totally different device.

It's fast because there's no frame buffer, which means any oddball refresh (IE SNES) gets passed along to your TV. So you're at the mercy off your display if it works.

The Framemeister can groom the odd signals for a nice vanilla HDMI standard.

The OSSC's max output is a weird 720P (with 240p content only). So again you're at the mercy of your display.

There's no audio HDMI integration, no s video or composite inputs. Deinterlacing isn't anywhere close to what the frameister does, again you can pass through and let your TV deal with it.

OSSC is more of an alternative to the xrgb 2+3. But too be fair to the folks responsible for it, I don't think they ever said it was a Framemeister "replacement". It's consumers who are making baseless assumptions and stating that

• 2 months later...