IGNORED

Question about Z26 emulator

Brian1977

Z26 is no longer being updated, so problems may appear when running on newer systems. However, the speed issue -might- be addressed by using its own commandline switches (such as -r60 to fix the speed at 60 frames per second...adjust the value if that is still running too fast). Everyone else: Z26 still can do one thing Stella cannot - which is creating a trace file...so don't be so quick to throw it away.

• Like 2

Z26 is no longer being updated, so problems may appear when running on newer systems. However, the speed issue -might- be addressed by using its own commandline switches (such as -r60 to fix the speed at 60 frames per second...adjust the value if that is still running too fast). Everyone else: Z26 still can do one thing Stella cannot - which is creating a trace file...so don't be so quick to throw it away.

True. I use it from time to time because of that feature alone.

I think there are plans to add that to stella too, it's just not on top of the TODO list.

Obviously I still use it from time to time. But I obviously use Stella more when I am using emulation and not my Harmony Cart.

Tracing is generating a text file which (line-by-line) contains every instruction encountered during program flow, the contents of all the registers at that time, as well as a running total of every processor cycle taken at each and every step of the way. You can allow it to be built right from cold start of the emulated program, or use hotkeys to enable/disable tracing at some specific point in the program. By comparing, for example, a frame which contains a glitch vs. some earlier frames' data, it makes zeroing in on problem code very easy.

• 2 years later...
On 12/4/2016 at 3:16 PM, Brian1977 said:

Downloaded the emulator and played a few games but the game speed is very fast. Much faster than playing on a 2600 console. Is there a way to correct this?

z26 3.02 uses sync to monitor exclusively, and 4.00 will be about the same. So if you have a gaming monitor and you've set it to 144 Hz the 2600 game will run fast. Until I figure out a way to change monitor frequency with software you probably need to set the refresh rate of your monitor to 60 Hz to get at least NTSC games running at approximately the right speed. Something I've noticed on one of my systems is that I can actually set the refresh rate to 50 Hz so there is even a way to play PAL games at around the right speed on some modern systems, which I think is pretty cool. But my attitude is that sync to monitor is such an essential feature of a 2600 emulator that I don't even want to support any other method, even if it's a little less convenient than dusty old methods like "phosphor mode" which were needed during the "dark ages" of 2600 emulation, before OpenGL and other frameworks that support a reliable sync to monitor became pervasive.

Sorry for the slow reply.  ;-)

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 7:58 PM, MrMaddog said:

The only thing I use Z26 for is playing the Kid Vid games with the correct audio files, and only with 2.16 as the latest version produces a buzzing sound...

I tried it in z26 4.02. For me, the trick was to rename the .wav files with lower case. Change KVB1.WAV to kvb1.wav and so on. Putting the wav files in the same directory with the roms seems to work, at least on linux. I haven't tried windows yet. When I do that the files seem to play but with a high pitched squeal. I'll look into that for 4.03. That and maybe I'll look for upper case and lower case.

I was wondering about these games.  ;-)  So many details...

7 hours ago, John Saeger said:

I tried it in z26 4.02. For me, the trick was to rename the .wav files with lower case. Change KVB1.WAV to kvb1.wav and so on. Putting the wav files in the same directory with the roms seems to work, at least on linux. I haven't tried windows yet. When I do that the files seem to play but with a high pitched squeal. I'll look into that for 4.03. That and maybe I'll look for upper case and lower case.

I was wondering about these games.  ;-)  So many details...

I tried it in Windows 10 and it doesn't work.  I don't think captialization matters like it does in Linux so might it be something with the SDL2 file?

16 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

I tried it in Windows 10 and it doesn't work.  I don't think captialization matters like it does in Linux so might it be something with the SDL2 file?

I put out 4.03 (http://www.whimsey.com/z26/). Maybe that's our first try at getting something nice. It seems to work on linux, windows, and mac. You're probably right about case not mattering on windows, but we look for files named: "KVS3.WAV", "KVS1.WAV", "KVS2.WAV", "KVB3.WAV", "KVB1.WAV", "KVB2.WAV", "KVSHARED.WAV". At least on linux case matters and it seems to work. Put these files in the same directory as the roms.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks!