IGNORED

Aardvark for Atari VCS/2600

nanochess

WOW 2018/19 is shaping up to be an amazing home brew year! This is absolutely incredible! I can't believe it is only a "demo" 5 polished with a title screen and music is more than I ever expect from anything on the 2600. This is an instant purchase for me when it releases. This is simply amazing work!

• Like 4

WOW 2018/19 is shaping up to be an amazing home brew year! This is absolutely incredible! I can't believe it is only a "demo" 5 polished with a title screen and music is more than I ever expect from anything on the 2600. This is an instant purchase for me when it releases. This is simply amazing work!

That is the main reason why I (and James O'Brien) wanted to start "The Atari Awards" at the end of the year!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282866-the-2018-atari-awards/

post-2652-0-64324500-1542768757_thumb.png

• Like 3

Nice score!

Love the digital clock.

Thanks! Would you believe, I have had that G&E digital clock since it came new in the box from sears back in the 80s. It woke me up for school everyday of my childhood :)

I've becoming obsessive over this game, I really hope it's available by Christmas, but I'm pretty sure that won't be the case.

• Like 1

Its a great game. Its come a long way from the demo back at PRGE, two years ago.

The clock is cool. I need an 80s clock for my game room. Is that your childhood H6er too?

No, my childhood Atari was a yard sale victim many many years ago. I guess no one wanted the clock :)

Heya nanochess, Thomas J. & Nathan S.! We'll be playing the updated demo of Aardvark on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream Wednesday on Twitch at 6PM PT/9PM ET! Hope you'll be able to tune in and watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games on Wednesday:
Castle of the Cryptid (WIP) by Buckaroo
Aardvark (Demo Update) by nanochess
Lost Dunjonquest Apshai (WIP Update) by Justin W. Gibson
Scramble (Retail) by Champ Games

post-37205-0-22768400-1543296340_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Great! Looking forward to your review and findings. Too bad that I cannot join that late (3 am here), but maybe Oscar or Nathan can be there and comment live.

BTW: No ARMs hurt in this game. Just 32K ROM and 128 extra bytes of RAM (same setup as e.g. Fatal Run). :)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 4

Heya nanochess, Thomas J. & Nathan S.! We'll be playing the updated demo of Aardvark on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream Wednesday on Twitch at 6PM PT/9PM ET! Hope you'll be able to tune in and watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games on Wednesday:

Castle of the Cryptid (WIP) by Buckaroo

Aardvark (Demo Update) by nanochess

Lost Dunjonquest Apshai (WIP Update) by Justin W. Gibson

Scramble (Retail) by Champ Games

I can’t wait to see the newest Aardvark!

So much better than Anteater would have been back in the day.

Scramble’s great sound was used with permission from Bob DeCrescenzo’s 7800 Scramble.

Champ Games wanted a little tune that wasn’t in the arcade version when completing a round of levels and destroying the object at the end, so I made that tune.

James usually completes things, so we may get to hear that.

• Like 4

Scramble’s great sound was used with permission from Bob DeCrescenzo’s 7800 Scramble.

Champ Games wanted a little tune that wasn’t in the arcade version when completing a round of levels and destroying the object at the end, so I made that tune.

James usually completes things, so we may get to hear that.

Complete it?? I'll definitely try! :-) Thanks for the extra info on the music and sound of Scramble iesposta!

egbHeZL.png

• Like 1

Complete it?? I'll definitely try! :-) Thanks for the extra info on the music and sound of Scramble iesposta!

LOL. Scramble is easier than its sequel Super Cobra.

Didnt you get the booty in Super Cobra?

Scramble is easier and you just need to destroy the thing at the end, not capture it: :)

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 1

Unless you want to complete the entire game... then you have to do it 99 times!

(And yes... there is an ending.)

99!!! Damn, has anyone done that? I would think at that point your eyes will start going buggy from playing so long.

I've enjoyed very much the ZeroPageHomebrew video icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much nanochess, it was a blast playing the Aardvark demo. Send me a message when the retail version is ready and we'll debut it on the show!! :-)

Me too. Always fun to be able to get together with the community. Ahh...the joys of modern technology.

It's really amazing what is possible now to share the enjoyment of gaming with such a wide audience! I'm so happy that the community has really embraced the show. It's a blast showing off all the amazing work coming from all the talented homebrew developers.

Yep. I totally agree. Fun stuff.

Thanks so much groundtrooper for tuning in and being a regular watcher of the stream!

LOL. Scramble is easier than its sequel Super Cobra.

Didnt you get the booty in Super Cobra?

Scramble is easier and you just need to destroy the thing at the end, not capture it: icon_smile.gif

I can definitely say now that Scramble is easier than Super Cobra as I was able to make it all the way through (once!). I reviewed the old video of me playing Super Cobra and I *almost* made it to the base, I was able to make it to level 10. :-) All that means is that I need to play it again to defeat it!

https://youtu.be/Kbx0SMX6nJ0?t=2266

• Like 4

Over the last months the team was working hard on the game. Since we are almost done, we thought this might be the right time for another release. But also, because we are that close, this demo is limited quite a bit:

• Only one game variation (medium difficulty, the release version will have heaps of option combinations)
  • No SaveKey support (the release version will save multiple high scores)
  • The anthills (and difficulty) loop after 5 hills.(no anthill/difficulty looping in the release version)

Nevertheless we are sure that the demo version still allows everyone to evaluate the game. And we are hoping for a lot of feedback, e.g. if you like it, what could be improved, what is missing etc.

This latest version of the game is awesome, the graphics and gameplay improvements are remarkable. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: