IGNORED

Good type of glue to hold Metal piece above cartridge ports on 800?

leech

So, Saturday night I was showing my various Atari machines off, and was showing how much of a tank the 800 is... and then after showing off the awesome RAM modules, I went to put the lid back on and the Metal flap that goes on the lid fell off over the cartridge ports. It has what seems to be some fuzzy crap that clearly has partially disintegrated over the many years. Should I just wipe it off and get some velcro strips to stick it back on with?

Anyone else run into this issue? It's not like it's a functionality piece, just 'Tank' aesthetics. I've always said someone could probably run over the thing with a car and it'd still work :P

This happens to every 800 I have owned or repaired. (a lot)

I use a hair dryer to heat and loosen the tape that is behind that black stuff. I use gloves, as that black stuff is really sticky and gets on everything. Peel that heated tape off slowly, and carefully. Than a wash with warm water and soap if needed. Then I use that foam 2-sided tape to put it back together. The white kind that is about 1/6" thick,and about an 1" wide. I use about 4" one each of the 2 angled sides.

• Like 3

It's just a thin sheet of puffy sponge foam. Nothing exotic. Probably cost Atari $0.10 per piece. And it was designed to press evenly across the whole piece of metal thus making a good RF-EMI seal over the area.

Whatever is about the right thickness and is spongy should work fine. Dabs of silicone glue, double sided tape, quarter-sized velcro dots..

I designed this in Tinkercad,

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/gqTTERn3qYG-atari-800-lid-insert/

https://www.tinkercad.com/images/iimZ4pE4bcz/t725.jpg?t=58465607

https://www.tinkercad.com/images/iYX4ZyeYXN6/t725.jpg?t=58465655

I drilled holes through aluminum, put two nylon bolts with nuts through, and gorilla glued the insert into the top.

Never coming out again...

Fujiman

Edited by Fuji-Man
  • Like 3

Ha, wow, didn't realize I'd get this many responses. Very awesome. Had no clue it was supposed to be static dissipating.

@BillLoguidice I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I don't really want something just roaming around my room, I have enough stuff like that!

Besides, got to put the piece of armor back on the Tank!

• Like 1

The metal is actually supposed to be part of the RF shield. In order to work, it must be in contact with the big grounded shield assembly underneath it, so it has a springy foam of the right thickness behind it to push them together. This is probably one of the reasons the power turns off when you open the lid- because it won't pass FCC tests with the cartridge ports exposed.