IGNORED

Xbox One Integration into Home Theatre Set-Up

Metal Ghost

Hi all! Lately I've been giving some thought about trying to get more out of my home theatre set-up. I have a an HD-DVD player currently sitting disconnected downstairs that I'd like to re-integrate into my set-up (I have a bunch of great movies for it, many unwatched!). At the same time I'm thinking about re-connecting an Xbox 360 consolse as well so I can hit some non-BC games on the main TV.

In any event, while I've been trying to plan how best to connect everything together, it got me to thinking about one possible set-up. I'm pretty sure this will not ​work, but I wanted to see if anyone had some thoughts before I went through and messed too much with my current set-up.

To start, I have a Yamaha RX-V673 Receiver. My Motorola cable box (ugh!) is connected to my Xbox One's HDMI-in. My Xbox One's HDMI-out is connected to the TV directly while its digital optical output is connected to the Receiver. There's also a Wii U in the set-up, which has both it's audio and video connected to the receiver. The receiver is also connected to the TV on a 2nd HDMI input.

I had the Xbox One running directly to the TV as opposed through the receiver like the Wii U simply because I thought that would be the best way to get highest quality video, less lag, etc. There was the 2nd input available so I figured why not, even if it mean additional wires.

Now what I'm wondering is this: would it work to have the Receiver ​HDMI-out​ connect to the Xbox One's HDMI-in so that I could have Wii U, cable tv, HD-DVD, Xbox 360, etc. all play through the Xbox One. Xbox One would continue to be connected directly to the TV. The catch however is that the Receiver would essentially need to passively pass through the audio of the device that's on, because it would also have to actively play the audio back from the Xbox One. I know that the receiver supports ​Audio Return Channel​ through its HDMI-out....not sure if the Xbox One supports that however.

Why go through all this? For starters, I really like the snap-screen function on the Xbox One. I use the snap TV command fairly often to watch TV while I'm playing an Xbox One game. It would be great to be able to do the same thing while playing a Wii U game or non-BC Xbox 360 game (or perhaps GameCube if I can fit it into this set-up!).

Second, we use a bunch of the other Xbox One functionality such as Skype (a little bit at least), Grove Music, Pandora, etc., so the XB1 really has become as close to the central hub of our entertainment system as we've ever had. If I can expand on that I'd like to.

So, any thoughts? My receiver seems to be very flexible with being able to assign inputs/outputs. And I'm trying to comb through the manual to learn more (not exactly going smoothly! :) Even so, I'm fairly certain I'm asking for the impossible here, which would basically be fore the receiver to take an input Video/Audio signal and output it through HDMI only, while at the same time taking another audio signal-only and output that through the receiver's speakers.

The Xbox One HDMI In would theoretically work under that scenario, but you'd have additional lag, and most likely unacceptable lag, when running the rest of the game systems through that setup. Really, the Xbox One is meant to go between your cable box and the TV and nothing else, since slightly lag in video content is not an issue.

Yes, I suppose that's true. Wanting to eliminate as much lag as possible was the entire reason I went directly from the XB1 to the TV for Video and directly from the XB1 to the receiver for audio. Plus, using that rationale saves me a whole heck of a lot of time trying to play around with the receivers inputs and output even trying to get this set-up working correctly, which I'm still not entirely sure it would.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The XB1 introduces lag without using the HDMI input!

Explanation: I bought an XB1 while I was in the US last autumn in order to have something that would play US region BD and DVD discs, and possibly replace my Raspberry Pi Kodi/OSMC setup (which works pretty well). However, all BD and DVD discs played with the Bluray app display significant a/v sync issues, in the order of 10's of milliseconds. Even the Plex app and the Media Player app show a small a/v delay but not as bad as playing discs.

I have tried with a TV, a Projector, with an amp, without an amp (direct to TV), changed all settings relating to refresh rate etc etc. It's totally unusable for me.

The XB1 introduces lag without using the HDMI input!

Explanation: I bought an XB1 while I was in the US last autumn in order to have something that would play US region BD and DVD discs, and possibly replace my Raspberry Pi Kodi/OSMC setup (which works pretty well). However, all BD and DVD discs played with the Bluray app display significant a/v sync issues, in the order of 10's of milliseconds. Even the Plex app and the Media Player app show a small a/v delay but not as bad as playing discs.

I have tried with a TV, a Projector, with an amp, without an amp (direct to TV), changed all settings relating to refresh rate etc etc. It's totally unusable for me.

Must be another issue, because that's obviously not common behavior for an Xbox One.