IGNORED

IIGS setup - Was this a good deal?

eightbit

I recently found a sizable IIGS setup on craigslist just out of luck, and the seller was asking $400 for the whole setup. I emailed him and offered $150 and to my surprise he accepted. I picked it up this afternoon and everything works perfectly. The whole reason I picked this up was because I remember right after I purchased the Amiga 500 I saw this on display at my local mall playing "Sword of Sodan" and I thought the monitor was really crisp and I loved the overall look of the computer. I was not a rich kid by any stretch of the imagination and it took a LOT of convincing to have my parents plop down the $599 (or $699?) for that Amiga 500 and there was no way in hell they were going to agree to $1000 for this....and whatever else it would have cost for extra accessories, games and so on.

So, 27 years later I was still thinking about it and finally found a full working setup. I know NOTHING about this machine as I was always an Amiga guy. So, the first obvious question is did I get a fair deal?

Also:

1. Is there any way to get disk images to the machine (something like SD2IEC or equivalent?)

2. It came with system disks. I am assuming these can be backed up like workbench can be?

3. Anything else I should know? (I downloaded the manual and plan on reading that tonight)

post-21417-0-46112000-1481406490_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-99363200-1481406494_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-95356000-1481406499_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-84093000-1481406505_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-85320000-1481406512_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-66865400-1481406519_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-35590200-1481406526_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-64101700-1481406532_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-69138900-1481406537_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-65098400-1481406542_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

OK a couple things:

#1 You did Awesome, congrats.

#2 That's a ROM3 the currently most desirable version of the IIgs

#3 The Cheapest and Easy - HD/Floppy EMU is the BMOW FloppyEMU http://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/

#4 The Boxed Software is worth more than you paid for the whole setup.

#5 Join us over on Fb: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AppleIIGSEnthusiasts/

• Like 2

OK a couple things:

#1 You did Awesome, congrats.

#2 That's a ROM3 the currently most desirable version of the IIgs

#3 The Cheapest and Easy - HD/Floppy EMU is the BMOW FloppyEMU http://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/

#4 The Boxed Software is worth more than you paid for the whole setup.

#5 Join us over on Fb: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AppleIIGSEnthusiasts/

Thank you! That floppy emu looks like it is exactly what I am looking for. And yes I will come by and join!

Thank you! That floppy emu looks like it is exactly what I am looking for. And yes I will come by and join!

Apple%20IIgs%20ROM3%20with%20VGA%20Adapt

This one has not been RetroBrite Treated yet, so it needs some work, but I will be doing some of that tomorrow. Anyway its running on a BMOW FloppyEMU at the moment.

Edited by c0op3r
  • Like 1

Not sure what is inside :) I was so eager to hook it up that I didn't pop it open :)

EDIT: Well, no cards :( No big deal. It is awefully clean however!

You can get original Apple Ram cards CheaP

But really look at the a2heaven Apple IIGS 8MBRAM/ROM http://a2heaven.com/webshop/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=143

Its a little more expensive but does a lot more and more RAM than a IIgs would of ever had.

You can get original Apple Ram cards CheaP

But really look at the a2heaven Apple IIGS 8MBRAM/ROM http://a2heaven.com/webshop/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=143

Its a little more expensive but does a lot more and more RAM than a IIgs would of ever had.

How does it compare to this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182369810081?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ohh I also wanted to ask concerning the battery. Does it need to be in the system for the system to function or can it be removed? I see no battery function except date...which appears to stop at 1999! The reason I ask is because I am used to removing Amiga batteries so that they do not explode and corrode the board. I also read that the ROM3 version (mine) has an easy to remove battery and I see that on mine, but it appears the power supply is partially blocking it. I suspect that would have to be removed/lifted to get at it?

Well that one and the GGlabs both work just fine. and if all you want is RAM then it will fit the bill and is a little cheaper.

THe A2Heaven is Battery backed up and has a bunch of tools in the ROM including the OS, so it boots in no time.

PLUS the maker is a member on the Fb Page/Group I sent you.

Here is a link that shows some of the ROM parts working: https://www.facebook.com/a2heaven/videos/332496403777719/

Edited by c0op3r
  • Like 1

Ohh I also wanted to ask concerning the battery. Does it need to be in the system for the system to function or can it be removed? I see no battery function except date...which appears to stop at 1999! The reason I ask is because I am used to removing Amiga batteries so that they do not explode and corrode the board. I also read that the ROM3 version (mine) has an easy to remove battery and I see that on mine, but it appears the power supply is partially blocking it. I suspect that would have to be removed/lifted to get at it?

Get a new one off Amazon, you have a ROM3 its not solder on. Its save time/date and settings for the system like a BIOS battery.

I consider myself very luck as the system is not yellowed. The monitor is, but only half (half of the rear half) which makes me think that it didn't yellow due to ABS plastic (because it is not like a complete piece of plastic is yellowed) but maybe they guy had it set up in front of a window.

• Like 1

I consider myself very luck as the system is not yellowed. The monitor is, but only half (half of the rear half) which makes me think that it didn't yellow due to ABS plastic (because it is not like a complete piece of plastic is yellowed) but maybe they guy had it set up in front of a window.

The guy that developed the RetroBrite process, is also in that group, its super simple with household products. His name is Javier. I am doing it on the 2 floppies I have have tomorrow. BTW do your 3.5" drives eject? Both of mine the eject gears are toast, but I got new ones on the way to repair the drives.

That's a pretty exceptionally clean system. It's hard to find a IIgs that's not noticeably yellowed these days. And you got original boxes!

I bought one of those RAM cards on Ebay, it works fine. Actually mine is 4MB because the 8MB cards weren't that cheap when I got mine, but 4MB is still more than almost anyone could ever need or even use, it's like 64GB vs. 128GB in a modern computer. I think they're just doing 8MB cards these days because they can and it's cheap now.

Wish they'd do something similar for accelerator cards, though...

I also second (or third or fourth) the Floppy Emu; I use one and it's great, at least until another batch of CFFA3000's arrives.

I think RAM and a floppy emu are next in my sights. As I use this more I will weigh the need for an accelerator card. I want to get the full IIGS experience. It's funny...there are a lot of computers I have owned over the years but this is completely new to me. I love the feeling! Feels like I just took it home in 1989 :)

I might be biased because I started out on the Apple II in the 1980's, but I feel like there's just sooooooo much to discover for it. Even as someone who grew up with it, I am still finding new stuff to do on it that I never experienced before. Of course, software-wise with a Floppy Emu or CFFA card and all the repositories out there now, there's basically an endless supply of software. The Apple II had a much bigger library than any other 1970's/1980's computer system - you will never have time to try it all. But there's also a huge amount of hardware, and of course the GS introduced a GUI to the II officially for the first time, along with real 16 bit computing and a bunch of new hardware that previous Apple II's didn't have.

I had a IIc originally and really wanted a IIGS when it came out but couldn't afford one. Now that I have one, I love it and would never give it up. I appreciate the Atari ST and Amiga, but I actually sold an Amiga to pay for my IIGS and I don't regret that at all. So I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it.

Just FYI if you are considering accelerator cards, the last few TransWarp GS's I saw on Ebay went for more than $500!

• Like 2

I might be biased because I started out on the Apple II in the 1980's, but I feel like there's just sooooooo much to discover for it. Even as someone who grew up with it, I am still finding new stuff to do on it that I never experienced before. Of course, software-wise with a Floppy Emu or CFFA card and all the repositories out there now, there's basically an endless supply of software.

Sometimes playing with the Apple II is like a discovery of yourself. Things I wanted to do with it back in the day I couldn't, but now I can. The machine hasn't changed, so the bag of water sitting in front of it must have.

Asimov (and other sites) are like BIG-ASS A.E. line. As much as I daydreamed of of monster storage devices I never fully envisioned having all the software ever made in one repository. We thought of it but immediately dismissed it and forgot about it.

And what's even more amazing is that 1 512GB card (essentially a silicon memory crystal) can hold it all with room to spare!