IGNORED

atari basic vs commodore

As far as I know, the only emulator that allows directly "pasting" into it is Altirra. Best you can do, is save the file to your local hard drive, point the emulator to it, and enter it that way. Make sure to use the Atari EOL of $9B, not the PC's $0D $0A terminators.

PDFs may or may not be able to have text copied. it depends on how they were generated.

I think there are PDF viewers which allow you to ignore restrictions, but if not then as long as you can print it.... just "print" it to a PDF printer and then you will have a restriction free version.

• Like 1

As far as I know, the only emulator that allows directly "pasting" into it is Altirra. Best you can do, is save the file to your local hard drive, point the emulator to it, and enter it that way. Make sure to use the Atari EOL of $9B, not the PC's $0D $0A terminators.

PDFs may or may not be able to have text copied. it depends on how they were generated.

I think there are PDF viewers which allow you to ignore restrictions, but if not then as long as you can print it.... just "print" it to a PDF printer and then you will have a restriction free version.

I think Stephan was referring to the fact that not all PDFs of magazines include the OCR of their contents rather than the PDF being protected.

• Like 1

I would recommend pasting the OCR'ed text from the PDF into e.g. Notepad or your text editor of choice, because the recognized text doesn't always match what you visually see. Just the other month I did exactly what 2600problems is asking, grabbing an Atari 8-bit BASIC listing from a scanned book. It turned out almost all the zeroes in the listing would appear as combinations of characters including tildes and what's not. The automatic OCR also had trouble separating 1, capital I and lower case l, as well as other common errors.

You will save some time copying OCR'ed text instead of typing it in yourself, but be prepared to spend a good amount of time debugging the text.

In the end, I pasted the cleaned up listing from Notepad into Altirra. It accepted Windows style line breaks perfectly well, no need to convert those into something else. In theory I suppose there are command line tokenizers for Atari BASIC that would take a text file and output some form of tokenized binary, but after searching online and on this forum for about 10 minutes, I gave up and decided pasting directly into the emulator is the easiest way for me to do it. In the Commode world, emulators such as WinVICE comes with a command line tool petcat as well as there are several other tools & environments to do it. The Speccy has bas2tap and other formats have similar tools so I'm absolutely sure those exist for the Atari 8-bit too, just that my Google-fu failed me that day. If that is not the case, it is a definite weakness of the Atari.

One of the projects someone did for the CoCo was to set up a page where people could correct OCR text from Rainbow Magazine.
It would give you a section of code you could and you could make edits and submit them.
Multiple people had to look at each block before the system marked them as done.
There were a lot of errors even after some people reviewed the code once already.

• Like 1

OCR is an acronym for optical character recognition, a process applied to images to detect letters in the image and either add metadata or output a plain text file with the detected content. Sometimes it even detects formatting and can output in e.g. Microsoft Word format. In this case you would want the software to detect the letters in the listings so you can copy the content into a different program. Many PDF's already have this processed, but not all of them.

• Like 1

two things:

1: what the hell does OCR mean? and

2: the PDF's i'm referring to are from archive,org

Why is it when people try to help you they get rude replies?

"What's that mean in English?"

"what the hell does OCR mean?"

Here's a question for you... why the hell should we help someone that's rude?

• Like 1

I think English is not 2600problem's native language, and then it is easy to fall into the curse word trap when you can't find the right words to use. Nasty foreign language tends to be easy to learn, and watching a lot of TV when they use those words a lot (unless being bleeped out) might make it seem that is how you're supposed to express yourself.

But instead of telling what you want to do, try to do it instead and report back if you didn't get it to work. If you find PDF files on Archive.org or elsewhere that are not pre-processed for OCR, you could try to do it yourself, or type in the listings by hand. But even if you find documents that are automatically processed for text recognition, chances are that it will contain a lot of errors so if you're really serious about this and not just trolling us, I strongly suggest you copy and paste into a text editor, compare the text output with the scanned book and try to fix all the errors that have occurred, before you paste the cleaned text into Altirra. Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of input errors from the emulator, and be even more frustrated that things don't work out as you wish and demand them to.