IGNORED

Oh Mummy! for Intellivision

nanochess

Thinking about it, there is one thing I'm not really sure about the original, as everyone knows uncovering a mummy adds it to the game permanently, but what when you use the scroll? Removed only from level or permanently?

BTW there is an extra men after passing 10 levels, but it doesn't show number of current level :dunce:

Thinking about it, there is one thing I'm not really sure about the original, as everyone knows uncovering a mummy adds it to the game permanently, but what when you use the scroll? Removed only from level or permanently?

BTW there is an extra men after passing 10 levels, but it doesn't show number of current level :dunce:

I think using the scroll should remove the mummy permanently from the level. There are hidden sarcophagi around so there is still a chance to get a mummy back in.

Did the original have a level counter display? In any case, I think it would be useful to have. :)

-dZ.

Here is a 30 minute longplay video that should answer most of your questions:

Things I observed:

* The score is inversed when you get the scroll, exactly like Nanochess implemented it here

* The music doesn't play all the time, at least not in the above video

* The trail you leave behind is supposed to be footprints - not sure if those visually could be improved on the Intellivision

* There is no level counter on the Amstrad version of the game

* Even after you used the scroll on one level, the next level starts with as many mummies as was the maximum on the previous level (just like this implemention does)

* After completing level 5 (4:32 into the video), you get an intermission text screen and the number of mummies is reset to 1

* However on level 7 (5:17 into the video), it seems the player still only has 1 mummy to beat, despite he awoke one in level 6

* On level 8 (6:00 into the video), the player faces 2 mummies again. On this level, he never awakens another one.

* On level 9 (6:44 into the video), there still are only 2 mummies to start with, since he didn't awaken one on the previous level

* On level 10 (7:30 into the video), there still are only 2 mummies, despite he killed one and awoke one on level 9

* After level 10 (8:10 into the video), the intermission text is displayed again and mummy count reset to 1

* On level 12 (9:55 into the video), the player faces 2 mummies, despite neither killing nor waking up any on the previous level Sorry, he awakens & kills one on level 11 that I didn't see

Well... it seems like an odd pattern. The first five levels seem to have a consistent mummy pattern while on later levels I can't explain what is happening. Also I don't know if there is a detailed description or strategy guide available anywhere, so perhaps any way of operation is good enough.

As a bonus, here is a homebrew for the Genesis which seems to take the original game and add a few elements of its own, like the water levels where you don't see your footprints:

Edited by carlsson

Here is a 30 minute longplay video that should answer most of your questions:

Things I observed:

* The score is inversed when you get the scroll, exactly like Nanochess implemented it here

* The music doesn't play all the time, at least not in the above video

* The trail you leave behind is supposed to be footprints - not sure if those visually could be improved on the Intellivision

* There is no level counter on the Amstrad version of the game

* Even after you used the scroll on one level, the next level starts with as many mummies as was the maximum on the previous level (just like this implemention does)

* After completing level 5 (4:32 into the video), you get an intermission text screen and the number of mummies is reset to 1

* However on level 7 (5:17 into the video), it seems the player still only has 1 mummy to beat, despite he awoke one in level 6

* On level 8 (6:00 into the video), the player faces 2 mummies again. On this level, he never awakens another one.

* On level 9 (6:44 into the video), there still are only 2 mummies to start with, since he didn't awaken one on the previous level

* On level 10 (7:30 into the video), there still are only 2 mummies, despite he killed one and awoke one on level 9

* After level 10 (8:10 into the video), the intermission text is displayed again and mummy count reset to 1

* On level 12 (9:55 into the video), the player faces 2 mummies, despite neither killing nor waking up any on the previous level Sorry, he awakens & kills one on level 11 that I didn't see

Well... it seems like an odd pattern. The first five levels seem to have a consistent mummy pattern while on later levels I can't explain what is happening. Also I don't know if there is a detailed description or strategy guide available anywhere, so perhaps any way of operation is good enough.

As a bonus, here is a homebrew for the Genesis which seems to take the original game and add a few elements of its own, like the water levels where you don't see your footprints:

Yes, the footprints look more recognizable on that one. I also see that the music doesn't have the "end" jingle, just repeating the same pattern of four bars, as I had suggested. ;)

A neat little game.

I need to give it a shot.

From watching the videos, it looks like the Inty version has you restart your position at the entrance/exit when you die, but in the original game you simply continue as you were going. Not sure which method would be better

In the Inty version the new mummy seems to pop out immediately making it more challenging; where in the original game the crypt opens much more slowly giving you time to get away.

From watching the video of the original, is it that in the original game the mummy (mummies) seem to wander more randomly in the lower levels and in the higher levels they seem to target the player a little more?

The original Amstrad author sure liked yellow... (I know you were going for a direct port to get it out of your head, so to speak) but the foot prints graphics were driving me crazy. I understood the effect you were going for but my brain refused to "see" foot prints. Fortunately I was able to fix that for myself in 5 minutes; I also fiddled a with a bit of dimension...an Amidar/Pepper II type game is missing from the Intellivision. Now do Aardvark for the Inty after you finish the 2600 version ;)

[click to animate]

post-38229-0-89132800-1481908870_thumb.gif

• Like 6

The original Amstrad author sure liked yellow... (I know you were going for a direct port to get it out of your head, so to speak) but the foot prints graphics were driving me crazy. I understood the effect you were going for but my brain refused to "see" foot prints. Fortunately I was able to fix that for myself in 5 minutes; I also fiddled a with a bit of dimension...an Amidar/Pepper II type game is missing from the Intellivision. Now do Aardvark for the Inty after you finish the 2600 version ;)

[click to animate]

attachicon.gifnewfeets640.gif

The coffins look interesting :)

But now I cannot cease to see small exclamation marks! :P

BTW I could have used 3 MOB because in the original the player has beard and red boots but I preferred to have 6 mommies.

I preferred also the whole first beats of the music as the single first tune was driving me crazy :grin:

So I miscalculated 10 levels for extra man, it could be easily modified to be 5.

• Like 1

[click to animate]

newfeets640.gif

Cool. Now you just need to help me get my LTO Flash set up and I'll be good to go to try this and lots of other ROM's. So first I have to take the shrink wrapping off right? ??

• Like 1

Cool. Now you just need to help me get my LTO Flash set up and I'll be good to go to try this and lots of other ROM's. So first I have to take the shrink wrapping off right?

Not sure, you only have one LTO Flash!...are you going to be physiologically able to break the seal? ;)

• Like 1

What I do is , very carefully I just cut along the top or gatefold seem and leave the plastic wrap on.. on the intv release boxes you can access cartridge from top flap..(to know what flap the cartridge is at, just feel the box and see which side its closer to)then us a sharp thin blade cut along blade.. Gatefold boxes just cut along gatefolds free side.. Static keeps wrap stuck to the flap and rest of the box... This works great for me..

Cheers brothers , break those seals and enjoy your games...

• 2 weeks later...

Living in the USA, I feel like I missed out on the MSX and Amstrad and Spectrum machines in the 80's and 90's. I have spent a ton of recent time learning about them to understand more about the AY sound chip used in them and Intellivision, but there seem to be many games that could be ported/converted as well. For example

https://mobile.twitter.com/RantanGames/status/816265360005615616/photo/1

Hi guys.I was in lazy mood today and went to old memories of Barcelona last year, I played Oh (snip)

• Like 1