IGNORED

Atari++ 1.81 available for download

thorfdbg

Hi folks,

a new version of the Atari++ emulator, this time release 1.81, is available for download at its usual location, namely

http://www.xl-project.com/

The 1.81 is mostly a bug-fix release. The major issues were a couple of bugs in the SIO transport which I fixed (timing, sound, protocol), and I also updated Basic++ to the latest version.

Greetings,

Thomas

• Like 16

Good work, THOR! :)

P.S. I tried to run your THOR Os++ with U1MB on the real machine, but it didn't work properly. It stopped right after showing cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. With Altirra this OS works fine and boots properly.

THOR Basic++ works OK with my 800XE.

THOR Os++ 1.81.rom

THOR Basic++ 1.06.rom

Edited by voy
  • Like 1

Thought I'd try out some software I'd previously seen bugs with in Altirra and see how they fare in this Emulator/OS. Slither and the In-Store Demonstration cartridge didn't show problems, but InterLisp 2.5 showed a minor screen anomaly. If you boot disk 2 and list the documentation to the screen page by page, some pages are missing the first character and have a space instead. E.g. enforce on page two is " nforce".

post-40654-0-88533400-1482304604_thumb.png

What were the bugs in Slither etc on Altirra?

(Just to save me a bit of time)

Slither showed that AltirraOS had a bug in the implementation of RMARGN (causing the game screen to be drawn incorrectly), The In-Store demonstration cart exposed two bugs, one a bug in the graphics fill command (I think a CLC got dropped when the code got optimized), the other a scrolling bug with split screens which Avery said was really a bug in the cartridge itself, but he changed his implementation to better match the AtariOS behavior.

Good work, THOR! :)

P.S. I tried to run your THOR Os++ with U1MB on the real machine, but it didn't work properly. It stopped right after showing cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. With Altirra this OS works fine and boots properly.

THOR Basic++ works OK with my 800XE.

Nice to see that running on real HW

Slither showed that AltirraOS had a bug in the implementation of RMARGN (causing the game screen to be drawn incorrectly), The In-Store demonstration cart exposed two bugs, one a bug in the graphics fill command (I think a CLC got dropped when the code got optimized), the other a scrolling bug with split screens which Avery said was really a bug in the cartridge itself, but he changed his implementation to better match the AtariOS behavior.

Ah, it was the Altirra OS, sorry, thought it was the actual normal OS's, as a tester (for the gamepack etc) it made me wonder as I only use Atari OS files and didn't remember any issues there..

Thanks..

Edited by Mclaneinc

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi folks,

an update on Atari++: The release 1.82 is now ready for download at its usual place: http://www.xl-project.com/downloads.html

I haven't built a windows version, there are the Linux sources, though. The 1.82 is mostly a bug-fix release which addresses defects in the atx support, improves artifacts and bumps the version of Basic++ to 1.08.

Have fun,

Thomas

• Like 2

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out how to "boot" an exe file :)

From the command line:

./atari++ -Image.1 filename.xex

It has been a while since I checked out atari++ and was pleasantly surprised that the IRQ handling and timing is exact and atarisid6(s) works as expected!

On the other hand, the sound quality was, if I can be frank, quite horrible. Perhaps you need to look into how you handle volume only channels and how they are downsampled?

Sample files are here: https://github.com/ivop/atarisid/tree/master/xex

This is meant as constructive criticism :)  I like it that there's a third option besides atari800 and Altirra, and that's exactly why I decided to compile your latest release and run some test :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ivop said:

On the other hand, the sound quality was, if I can be frank, quite horrible. Perhaps you need to look into how you handle volume only channels and how they are downsampled?

Which sound driver do you use? I suggest alsa as this provides the best quality. You may have to experiment with the buffer size of the output buffer. Also, thre is  a cycle precise Pokey mode you want to try.

Edited by thorfdbg

2 hours ago, thorfdbg said:

Which sound driver do you use? I suggest alsa as this provides the best quality. You may have to experiment with the buffer size of the output buffer. Also, thre is  a cycle precise Pokey mode you want to try.

This command line did the trick to get good sound!

$ atari++ -Sound SDL -Image.1 as6s-ocean2.xex

-Sound alsa was the default and sounded pretty bad. -Sound oss was even worse. But I'm glad I found a setting that sounds great! And the RMW instruction to reset the IRQ works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thorfdbg said:

Which is strange since SDL also goes back to Alsa. Are you potentially using pulseaudio? Avoid, avoid, avoid...

No, I don't use PulseAudio. Never has, because it sucks ;)

I use jackd for my home studio recordings, but it is disabled otherwise. I agree, it's strange that directly to alsa doesn't work correctly, but going through a multiplatform abstraction layer works, which ends up at alsa, too.

...and here we go, another tiny update to release 1.83. As usual, you find the sources here:

http://xl-project.com/downloads.html

This release fixes the defects reported above, and improves ATX support. In particular, the ALSA sound support was not as cycle precise as it should have been as the CPU emulation counted cycles the CPU never executed. This was fixed, and the quality of the ALSA output improved noticably.

Also, ATX support was improved. Due to misinterpretation of the format, weak sector support was partially broken, and timing was made more precise. Also, the ATX driver did not report deleted sectors correctly.

• Like 2