Jump to content
thorfdbg

Atari++ 1.81 available for download

Recommended Posts

Now just the RPi build to sort ...............

 

Your latest build, after './configure' and 'make', creates the executable atari++, on running produces: -

 

[email protected]:~/atari++ $ ./atari++
Failure: object doesn't exist:
unable to build a suitable frontend. Either LibX11, SDL or Curses must be available

 

Has anyone got any actual command steps on how to create a working build version on a Raspberry Pi ?

Edited by CaptainMidnight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

........... a little progress!

 

After a bit of prolonged googling, I've now successfully (by all accounts) installed the SDL requirement via: -

 

sudo apt-get libsdl1.2-dev

 

My next probably even more basic question is what are the minimal paramaters you'd expect that need to be passed to atari++ for it to start ?

 

[email protected]:~/atari++ $ ./atari++
Failure: Invalid argument:
unable to define the hardware parameters

 

Edited by CaptainMidnight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK OK here we go whoop whoop, finally some success, still testing, but at least we get to see the Atari screen running on the Pi. Just in case others or the author would like to know how to get this to work on the latest RPi4 running Pi OS 64-bit, where we go: -

 

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev libgtk2.0-dev --no-install-recommends

tar xzf atari++.tgz

./configure

make

sudo make install

 

then to actually run it: -

 

atari++ -FrontEnd SDL -Sound SDL

 

From the looks of it, the issues I've been experiencing could be related to building on the 64-bit version of Pi OS, so when I get a bit of time later I'll trial a build on the Pi OS 32-bit.

Edited by CaptainMidnight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CaptainMidnight said:

My next probably even more basic question is what are the minimal paramaters you'd expect that need to be passed to atari++ for it to start ?

 

[email protected]:~/atari++ $ ./atari++
Failure: Invalid argument:
unable to define the hardware parameters

 

Another day, another luck. Here is a version with a modification of the alsa driver. Strangely, the implementation on the pi does not seem to support some of the alsa calls.

atari++.tgz

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey Guys,

pretty new member here - but long time Atari user.

I have just started trying out the emulator and it seems pretty impressive - I have fiddled with atari800 but want to attach a real 1050 and also make a real paddle (or at least a rotary potentiometer) work - from what I read this should work much better with atari++, but I will still have to try that.

Anyways so far: Great work, thanks for all the effort and sharing!

Compiling on my Laptop (Debian 9) worked "out of the box" - so "./configure && make" did the job! However the PI challenged me slightly, so I thought I share for others. The compile process also worked with a few warnings. However I could not start the executable.
After long time trying different releases and a lot of googling, I found this post and that finally got me in the right direction!

Just wanted to confirm that for running  atari++ on the Raspberry Pi (I tried on a 3) I have to provide

./atari++ -FrontEnd SDL -Sound SDL

Maybe that would be helpful to include in the Manual section of the atari++ homepage?

(The same with the download for 1.83 from official page and also tried with the file provided in last post)

But now to my question - since I do not have a mouse on my raspberry, I encountered the next obstacle (- nothing too bad and I think I can work without the gui and only use commandline options): Once I start the menu, I can navigate with the cursor keys and one time I seem to be able to use RETURN as mouseclick. However after being in a sub menu only moving the mouse cursor works with keyboard but I cannot not confirm any selection anymore - so basically leaving me stuck and helpless ;-).

Is there a trick to do that or is this maybe a bug?

Thanks again, stay safe!

Edited by DKONGsr
forgot something
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

I like the Emulator for many reasons but i want to use it with a Atari 1050 true FTDI but it work but with error all the time

 

I use Atari++ V1.81 Windows

Have Windows 10 Pro 20H2 64Bit

A FTDI to USB who work correctly without any errors with Kafar

Atari 1050 Diskdrive

 

When i start to boot from disk i get this

 

error-01.png

 

then click dismiss and get this

 

error-02.png

 

Dismiss again few times

 

error-03.png

 

Dismiss again and get this

 

goed-01.png

 

Then i sellect H from menu of my floppy disk and get this

 

error-04.png

 

And dismiss again

 

error-05.png

 

Dismiss again and get this

 

goed-02.png

 

So some how it work but with error who i can't explane what i do wrong, when i turn on my happycard in drive i only get errors and never the disk menu

 

greetings

Ed

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2021 at 3:14 AM, DKONGsr said:

 However after being in a sub menu only moving the mouse cursor works with keyboard but I cannot not confirm any selection anymore - so basically leaving me stuck and helpless ;-).

Is there a trick to do that or is this maybe a bug?

Thanks again, stay safe!

I faced the same with an older version, unfortunately using the mouse was the only solution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2021 at 9:14 AM, DKONGsr said:

However after being in a sub menu only moving the mouse cursor works with keyboard but I cannot not confirm any selection anymore - so basically leaving me stuck and helpless ;-).

If you know in advance what options you want to set, you can still edit the config-file or pass arguments on the command-line. You can also define on the command-line which config file to use. You can also mix both ways - set a config file and pass different options on the command-line. You could for example start the emulator with:

atari++ -config "my_atariconf.conf" -volume 25 -ostype OsXL -machine XL -holdoption on -fullscreen on -image.1 "joust.atr"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pokeypy said:

If you know in advance what options you want to set, you can still edit the config-file or pass arguments on the command-line. You can also define on the command-line which config file to use. You can also mix both ways - set a config file and pass different options on the command-line. You could for example start the emulator with:

 

atari++ -config "my_atariconf.conf" -volume 25 -ostype OsXL -machine XL -holdoption on -fullscreen on -image.1 "joust.atr"

 

 

Concering the command line: You only have to supply command line arguments once, then save the settings in the menu. This will update the configuration file the emulator reads on the next start.

 

There is a 1.84 version in the making, but that's not yet fully ready. At this point, please do not provide patched source code versions, but please send patch requests to me (for example here in the forum) to have them integrated into trunk. Otherwise, we'll get a lot of partially working or unsupported versions floating around, and that's certainly not what I want.

 

Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, thorfdbg said:

Concering the command line: You only have to supply command line arguments once, then save the settings in the menu. This will update the configuration file the emulator reads on the next start.

To start Atari programs with the emulator, I'm using a Python script, that takes care of the startup configuration of each program (especially about holding down the OPTION key or not and about using OsXL or OsB).
Either, I'd have to create a configuration file for every single Atari program.

Or there's a single configuration file, that is rewritten by the script each time a program is started.

Or I'm using a single base configuration file, and the script does the required changes for each program using additional command line options.
I decided for the third option, as in my opinion it was the most elegant.

(Starting Atari programs is only part of the script, it can also start ZX Spectrum programs (using "fuse"), Amiga programs (using "fs-uae") and Arcade games (using "mame").)

 

I'm not planning on patching your code. If I would, of course I would contact you before releasing anything.


Also, I'd like to point out: Thank you very much for this great emulator! Well done!  🏆

Edited by Pokeypy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All,

 

Can someone explane what i do wrong because the explanation on website is very simple but sofar no luck i want te test the latest version to see if my if it solve my problems. But simpel type in make is not work for me

 

make-error.png

 

Using windows 10 download and install GnuWin32 to get make available for me but just type in make, or make -f makefile both gave same error

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks,

 

happy July 4th, BTW. If anyone wants to try, here is a 1.84 beta of Atari++ which should compile smoothly on raspi, with some compiler warnings fixed, and (potentially) the alsa interface fixed. I actually haven't tried whether it really plays, though, but it may be worth a try.

 

You need to install the x11 development headers, libasound-dev (the alsa development headers) and probably also the libncurses-dev (curses development headers) to compile.

 

It also fixes keyboard navigation in the F1-menu. Press RETURN to select a button, or enter a string gadget.

 

There are  a couple of other fixes around media support which I nearly forgot since it has been a while since I looked into this.

 

As always, feedback appreciated, even though it may take a while for me to respond (sorry about that).

 

Greetings,

Thomas

atari++.tgz

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2021 at 10:54 AM, Atariaan70 said:

Hello All,

 

Can someone explane what i do wrong because the explanation on website is very simple but sofar no luck i want te test the latest version to see if my if it solve my problems. But simpel type in make is not work for me

 

make-error.png

 

Using windows 10 download and install GnuWin32 to get make available for me but just type in make, or make -f makefile both gave same error

 

 

Unfortunately, nothing really related to the emulator, but possibly the Linux subsystem or cygwin(?) of win10 that, according to this message, cannot launch a process. Nothing I can here from my side, sorry.

 

However, I still have a project file for VisualStudio 8 if you want to try compilation from there. This would then require SDL for video output, and either SDL or DirectSound for audio output. (Both of which unfortunately only qualify as "lousy" compared to alsa, but I'm not experienced enough in windows to provide anything better).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, thorfdbg said:

Unfortunately, nothing really related to the emulator, but possibly the Linux subsystem or cygwin(?) of win10 that, according to this message, cannot launch a process. Nothing I can here from my side, sorry.

 

However, I still have a project file for VisualStudio 8 if you want to try compilation from there. This would then require SDL for video output, and either SDL or DirectSound for audio output. (Both of which unfortunately only qualify as "lousy" compared to alsa, but I'm not experienced enough in windows to provide anything better).

 

 

Hello,


So is the version 1.83 just only for Linux and Pi or should it also be for windows. Because you emulators realy nice 

 

I can try it with Visualstudio is that it you let me

 

regards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Atariaan70 said:

Hello,


So is the version 1.83 just only for Linux and Pi or should it also be for windows. Because you emulators realy nice 

 

I can try it with Visualstudio is that it you let me

 

regards 

The 1.84, you mean? Well, I cannot really support windows, and it is not my preferred operating system. But well, I will not stop anyone from porting it to windows, or updating the port.  I'm attaching the VStudio support files I have, but those are outdated. If you want to give them a try, please go ahead.

atari++win.zip

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, thorfdbg said:

The 1.84, you mean? Well, I cannot really support windows, and it is not my preferred operating system. But well, I will not stop anyone from porting it to windows, or updating the port.  I'm attaching the VStudio support files I have, but those are outdated. If you want to give them a try, please go ahead.

atari++win.zip 31.56 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you for the files let see what we can do with it, again you made a wonderfull emulatorand i understand you can not control every operating system offcourse i will try  it on a PI later.

 

Yes 1.83 or 1.84 is only linux or pi 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2021 at 5:45 AM, thorfdbg said:

As always, feedback appreciated, even though it may take a while for me to respond (sorry about that).

Thomas -- we've been experimenting with atari++ in Argon... So far, so good!

 

We posted a few small changes to github at https://github.com/ElectricMagic/AtariPP 

 

We'll check out your update!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2021 at 5:55 PM, bhall408 said:

We posted a few small changes to github at https://github.com/ElectricMagic/AtariPP

Thanks for your updates, and sorry for taking so long. As I'm now on vacation, I had some time and merged your changes back into the trunk. Actually, I replaced the PAGE_SIZE macro with a class member (which is much cleaner) and got rid of two compiler workarounds that were only required for g++ 2.95, which is really really obsolete by now, so some old junk just can go.

 

Please find an updated beta version attached, would be glad to receive some feedback.

 

Thanks,

 

Thomas

 

atari++.tgz

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thorfdbg said:

Please find an updated beta version attached, would be glad to receive some feedback.

Thanks! We'll check that out and get some feedback to you...

 

FWIW, we're using Android Studio and cmake 3.18.x

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thorfdbg said:

Please find an updated beta version attached, would be glad to receive some feedback

Thanks for incorporating our changes.

 

There's one error in `CartPhoenix::MapCart` -- it should be using `Page_Length` for the loop increments -- see https://github.com/ElectricMagic/AtariPP/commit/a5a1b4f989884259db494e7ec5902de17866a9f9

 

And there's an inconsequential fix at https://github.com/ElectricMagic/AtariPP/commit/2cdad907e3547925a76ee738e93c17fc21a519c5, where the enum should be `All` vs `Any`.

 

https://github.com/ElectricMagic/AtariPP/commit/bf66e03e2a7eeae5d97a96021a9a83d055a499f8 lets us pass a hard-coded command line without nasty typecasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2021 at 12:13 AM, ZihuaCode said:

Thanks for incorporating our changes.

 

Thanks for pointing me to these defects. I hope these have been addressed in the attached version.

atari++.tgz

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2021 at 6:29 AM, thorfdbg said:

I hope these have been addressed in the attached version.

Yep, perfect, thank you very much. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the feedback, which finally led to the compilation of the latest 1.84 version. As always, you can get the emulator on its website at:

 

http://www.xl-project.com/

 

Again, thanks for all the contributions and support!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...