IGNORED

Arcade ports?

Jim Pez

I have a Mame arcade machine at home, and it's true that some games are way better than on the Colecovision (Time Pilot, Popeye, Donkey Kong jr., etc). But, I think the following are actually much better on the Colecovision:

Gorf

Frenzy

Carnival

Omega Race

Pepper II

Lady Bug

Especially Gorf and Frenzy--they both look and play better and are more fun. Even with the missing level, Gorf on the Colecovision is the better game compared with the arcade. I also think that Space Invaders on the Atari 2600 is so much better than the arcade version ;)

Speaking as an owner of both Gorf and Frenzy original arcade machines, as well as a long time owner/player of the Colecovision and the Gorf and Frenzy home versions, there must be something wrong with your mame setup if you think Gorf and Frenzy look and play better on the Colecovision.

Speaking as an owner of both Gorf and Frenzy original arcade machines, as well as a long time owner/player of the Colecovision and the Gorf and Frenzy home versions, there must be something wrong with your mame setup if you think Gorf and Frenzy look and play better on the Colecovision.

Frenzy doesn't emulate well on the version of Mame I have, so that's part of it. But, I do like the fact that the Colecovision version actually has music.

For Gorf, I really like the look of the first screen better on the Colecovision. The black sky and look of the aliens just appeal more to me. I also like that the game is 4:3 instead of tate on the Colecovision since my Mame monitor is a 4:3.

As for Omega Race, I agree that the arcade cabinet is better due to the vector graphics and controls, on Mame not so much. I find that usuing the trackball controller for the Colecovision makes it a fun conversion.

Edited by Noah98

I feel the same way. It's 2016 not 1982 and I can't get excited over an arcade port, even a well done one. "That's neat" is my reaction to seeing a new CV arcade port, but I doubt I would buy it. I'd rather CV programmers/homebrewers focused their energy on CV originals/exclusives. That's 100x more interesting to me. I know it's their time/energy and I can't make them do what I want and others seem to still get all worked up over arcade ports over originals. The recent 'TRON light cycles' adaptation is an excellent example which satisfies both fans of the arcade original, which was very limited gameplay/replay-wise, and an expanded home version with new features and levels.

See I'm different... I think it's sort of "magical" what some of these programmers/homebrewers can do to try to make a reasonable facsimile of an arcade game having limited hardware architecture compared to the arcade counterpart.

I always tend to gravitate to the arcade ports; compared to *brand new* games. There are exceptions to the rule once in a while, but for the most part, with the my limited time schedule; I just can't get into new games(ideas) like I used to do - hence I go w/ the arcade ports.

So please homebrewers, keep cranking out these arcade ports... and someone work on Taito Wild Western!;)

• Like 2

First off, I admire and hate you ;)for having a Stern Frenzy cab (it's on my wish list). You have to admit; Frenzy is one of the better arcade ports of the system even without the voice synthesis.

I'm in total agreement on Gorf. In fact, I can't think of a home port that has done that game justice. (At least... the ones I encountered.)

First off, I admire and hate you ;)for having a Stern Frenzy cab (it's on my wish list). You have to admit; Frenzy is one of the better arcade ports of the system even without the voice synthesis.

I'm in total agreement on Gorf. In fact, I can't think of a home port that has done that game justice. (At least... the ones I encountered.)

I've had Frenzy for almost 25 years, still play it fairly regularly. It was one of those games I could play for a long time on one credit. I might ask to be buried in it...

The only console version of Gorf that works as a direct conversion is the Jaguar version. But I did play the Colecvision version a lot when it came out and enjoyed it, but even if I didn't have access to Gorf arcade, I'd still rather play the version in my mame cab since it is has a vertical monitor and has the voice working so it is very close, really just missing the special trigger stick which I also think adds to the playability.

• Like 1

I always thought the criticism of the CV port, that it's missing the Galaxian stage, was unfair. They probably couldn't include it unless they wanted to get sued by Namco too.

I played the CV version Gorf well before the arcade version

So, I always LOVED Gorf on Colecovision

Same case goes for Zaxxon, I played the CV version before the Arcade one

Still prefer the CV version

When you look at Gorf CV port today, sure you can say.... Ah, I prefer to play Gorf in MAME

But you DIDN'T have MAME in 1982! Keep that in mind

Sure nowadays, a CV version of Gorf done by Opcode, Team Pixelboy or CollectorVision would be a better port

But it's also ALOT easier to do CV games than what it was in early 80's

Gorf on CV rocks!

• Like 2

Pac-Man? Or maybe you are only talking about games produced in the 80's.

Pac-Man Collection was/is awesome, and it is code perfect. I can even go through Blinky on the first stage just like the arcade pattern. It was made by Opcode.

If you are counting games made after the 80's by very talented programmers, I have a whole list of those. They are all incredible (often arcade perfect) ports!

Edit: There was also an unreleased prototype of Pac-Man for coleovision made by Atarisoft. In the 1980's.

Here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-3OOdjnTq4

And here is Opcode Pac-Man Collection for colecovision. It is amazing! It includes Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Pac-Man Plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOIimp76NyA

Hi, I'm curious why the Atari version of Pac-Man doesn't flicker but the Opcode version does. I admit I know very little about the colecovision. Is Atari using software sprites?

I have a Mame arcade machine at home, and it's true that some games are way better than on the Colecovision (Time Pilot, Popeye, Donkey Kong jr., etc). But, I think the following are actually much better on the Colecovision:

Gorf

Frenzy

Carnival

Omega Race

Pepper II

Lady Bug

Especially Gorf and Frenzy--they both look and play better and are more fun. Even with the missing level, Gorf on the Colecovision is the better game compared with the arcade. I also think that Space Invaders on the Atari 2600 is so much better than the arcade version ;)

There is no way that Gorf or Omega Race are better (or even good) on CV. They are both horrible ports actually, with bad AI and graphics compared to the arcade. Gorf on CV doesn't even play like the arcade. Omega Race on VIC-20 is better than the arcade version, and even Gorf on the VIC is better than the CV one.

Having only played the Arcade version and the CV version, besides the missing Galaxians level on the CV, I really never had a problem with the CV version.

It's very important to play the CV version on at least skill level #3 and this holds true for other CV games that offer skill level selection.

I am surprised by how good the Commodore 64 version looks though.

The Commodore 64 can do lot of better than that. But the game appeared very early (1983) in the life of the C64. For that time it is quiet good.

Personnaly i prefer Gorf on arcade, but played on the real arcade cabinet. When i play it on Mame or a non original cabinet , it is not the same thing. I really love the original.

most of Homeport are good, but really not the same sensation when you play ihmo.

I have a home arcade set up as well as a number of classic consoles. In comparing the ColecoVision arcade ports with the actual arcade games, I still enjoy the arcade ports given that they are, in essence, the "home arcade experience" I grew up playing. Another factor that makes me appreciate the Coleco arcade ports is the state of the home console industry at the time. Compared to the largest platform of the day, the Atari 2600, the ColecoVision experience was simply mind-blowing. I was just playing ColecoVision Donkey Kong and couldn't help but remember my brothers raving about their first sighting of the console, and the fact that "Donkey Kong was just like the arcade!" :)

I always thought the criticism of the CV port, that it's missing the Galaxian stage, was unfair. They probably couldn't include it unless they wanted to get sued by Namco too.

That's why my criticism extends to *all* ports of Gorf.

Truth be told, that stage alone would either make or break a good game of Gorf for me. I was a decent player on the arcade game, and sans that stage, I find the gameplay on the easy side.