IGNORED

The Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast

Dauber

Sean,

I finally got around to listen to a couple of your podcasts and man, they are so well done!

I am not much of a home-brew collector, but it really doesn't matter. The games you have covered are some of my favorites (Jr. Pac, Burgertime) so its interesting to hear the stories behind these 7800 adaptions. I especially enjoyed the history of how Jr. Pac-Man came to be. I need to check out that thread :)

Anyway, it obviously shows you put a lot of time into these shows and just wanted to say great job and thanks!

• Like 3

Say...I don't know about youse people, but I think it's time for episode 10 of The Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast; Crazy Brix!

What better way to go crazy for the weekend than to listen to the dulcet sounds of a crazy Atarian talk about a 7800 spin on a classic?

http://fab4it.com/homebrew78/media/hbh_episode010.mp3

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

While I liked your podcast, your speech in episode 3 about diversity and the implication that you hoped that President Trump would see the light was a big turn off.

On Christmas 2015, I was in a position, along with all my American colleagues of having to train our H1-B Indian replacements. If we refused we would face no severance. The word "immigrant" was used constantly by management when referring to these workers. Mind you, these so-called "immigrants" were brought to the United States for the specific reason to be trained by and replace American I.T. workers. Any complaints from us were dismissed as racist and xenophobic by management and HR. Being discriminated against for being an American kind of turns you into a bit of "protectionist" or a "nationalist" and even a Trump voter. I know this is astonishing to people who have never been treated like that, but it could happen to you! I know you were not necessarily referring to foreign workers when speaking about diversity, but you have to understand that your advocation of diversity is a weapon that is used by corporate america to silence any dissent against outsourcing, so you stirred up a bit of a hornets nest, at least with me.

I got tired of listening to podcasts with Carrington Vanston and that college professor whos name escapes me, two VERY privileged guys who liked to virtue signal and speak negative about Trump on podcasts about classic computers/gaming. I always felt that If they ever had to train an H1-B replacement (I know Vanston is a Canadian but nonetheless), they would probably vote for Trump. I don't think you are in the same league.

The last thing I want to hear is progressive or conservative politics or world views on a podcast about video gaming (sorry to even post here, but you asked for feedback), so I am giving your podcast a miss. Best of luck though with your advocacy of the Atari 7800 and your support of homebrew guys.

I guess it's time to make this announcement.

Many -- including myself -- have asked Phil if he planned to cover homebrews in his podcast. Unfortunately, he said no, just the official releases. Well, this is where The Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast steps in.

Episode zero is out now. I welcome all feedback. Here are the details:

- E-mail for feedback (text or audio!): homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com

- Twitter: @homebrew78

- Home page/show notes page: homebrew78.fab4it.com

- Available on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, and maybe a couple of other providers I'm forgetting about.

- And, uhhh....already have a give-away going on...listen for details. :)

Just as Phil would do, I'll post game-related feedback requests on the Atari 7800 forum.

Wish me luck. :)

Thanks for your feedback. That was a one-time political thing -- I hate discussing politics one way or another at all, but I felt given the climate and the "sky is falling" attitude on one side and the "get over it" attitude on another side that was more prevalent then than ever before, I needed to just address the white elephant in the room. Just to say it once and not deal with it again.

And what happened to you -- and so many others as well -- is not about diversity: it's about discrimination (reverse discrimination is discrimination, period) and favoring money over quality. It wasn't fair to you, and it wasn't fair to your replacements.

I wasn't advocating politics of any kind -- I was advocating to acknowledge our differences, period. I don't give a rat's ass what side (if any) of the spectrum anybody is on: that's something everybody can agree with.

One thing we all have in common: we love our Atari games. That's what it's all about.

The other episodes, I don't think I ever spent more than a few seconds talking about non-gaming stuff....except for a recent bike wipeout that left me in annoying pain for a while. :)

Thanks again, polyex!

Thanks for your feedback. That was a one-time political thing -- I hate discussing politics one way or another at all, but I felt given the climate and the "sky is falling" attitude on one side and the "get over it" attitude on another side that was more prevalent then than ever before, I needed to just address the white elephant in the room. Just to say it once and not deal with it again.

And what happened to you -- and so many others as well -- is not about diversity: it's about discrimination (reverse discrimination is discrimination, period) and favoring money over quality. It wasn't fair to you, and it wasn't fair to your replacements.

I wasn't advocating politics of any kind -- I was advocating to acknowledge our differences, period. I don't give a rat's ass what side (if any) of the spectrum anybody is on: that's something everybody can agree with.

One thing we all have in common: we love our Atari games. That's what it's all about.

The other episodes, I don't think I ever spent more than a few seconds talking about non-gaming stuff....except for a recent bike wipeout that left me in annoying pain for a while. :)

Thanks again, polyex!

While I liked your podcast, your speech in episode 3 about diversity and the implication that you hoped that President Trump would see the light was a big turn off.

On Christmas 2015, I was in a position, along with all my American colleagues of having to train our H1-B Indian replacements. If we refused we would face no severance. The word "immigrant" was used constantly by management when referring to these workers. Mind you, these so-called "immigrants" were brought to the United States for the specific reason to be trained by and replace American I.T. workers. Any complaints from us were dismissed as racist and xenophobic by management and HR. Being discriminated against for being an American kind of turns you into a bit of "protectionist" or a "nationalist" and even a Trump voter. I know this is astonishing to people who have never been treated like that, but it could happen to you! I know you were not necessarily referring to foreign workers when speaking about diversity, but you have to understand that your advocation of diversity is a weapon that is used by corporate america to silence any dissent against outsourcing, so you stirred up a bit of a hornets nest, at least with me.

I got tired of listening to podcasts with Carrington Vanston and that college professor whos name escapes me, two VERY privileged guys who liked to virtue signal and speak negative about Trump on podcasts about classic computers/gaming. I always felt that If they ever had to train an H1-B replacement (I know Vanston is a Canadian but nonetheless), they would probably vote for Trump. I don't think you are in the same league.

The last thing I want to hear is progressive or conservative politics or world views on a podcast about video gaming (sorry to even post here, but you asked for feedback), so I am giving your podcast a miss. Best of luck though with your advocacy of the Atari 7800 and your support of homebrew guys.

I know this may sound weird, but these posts have brought me a significant amount of joy. Over here in Britain, it seems that in both the US and here that discussions about differences in political opinions have degenerated into shouting matches, and oversimplification. It has filled me with hope, that two adults can talk, not matter how briefly, in a civil manner about current affairs.

• Like 2

....which we really shouldn't be doing here, as it violates Albert's rules. (Sorry, Al!)

BTW, PTW -- nice to see a post from you. :)

You had me at buttering bagels, but I can't believe you went 'There' with the pizza thing. I'm a proud Houstonian, but a former New Yorker. :)

• Like 1

You had me at buttering bagels, but I can't believe you went 'There' with the pizza thing. I'm a proud Houstonian, but a former New Yorker. :)

And Sean lived in NJ! Shame!

....which we really shouldn't be doing here, as it violates Albert's rules. (Sorry, Al!)

BTW, PTW -- nice to see a post from you. :)

Haha, I tried to look up "Galaxian border" here and I was not allowed. :)

I think someone else did it. :) (Really, I think the Windows Store just kind of spiders stuff and adds what it finds.)

BTW, regarding that iPod batter: iFixIt.com is your friend. :) (BTW, remind me to show you the hatchet job I did to my iPod Classic.It's truly a sight to behold...but you know what? Damn thing works, and on a microSD card at that!)

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 12 is out. Sorry for the brief delay; my hosting provider "updated" my server to allow only smaller file uploads (which I have since fixed!) and screwed up some directory permissions, but all should be good now! This time around Sean examines one brilliant homebrew developer's answer to the charming, endearing cacophony that was the Atari 7800 Donkey Kong. (MMmmmmm.....piiiiiiieeeeee.....)

http://homebrew78.fab4it.com/media/hbh_episode012.mp3

• Like 3

Cool episode.

Regarding the naming of the game's character, it is correct that DK Jr. is the first game in which the character was named Mario from the get-go, but it's interesting to note that the name had changed from Jumpman to Mario quite early on, probably long before DK Jr. was even a twinkle in Nintendo's eye.

The legend goes, there was a landlord that was harassing the nascent Nintendo of America operation for rent money around the time the Radar Scope makeover project was underway. It was felt that the Jumpman character in DK bore more than a passing resemblance to the landlord -- a man named Mario Segale -- so Nintendo decided to rename their character Mario. That timing makes sense because if NoA was falling behind on rent to the point where a landlord would start sniffing around, it must have been before the big revenues from DK started rolling in to save the day. The control panel overlay for the original DK arcade machine indeed refers to the character as Jumpman, but that is probably just because Nintendo had already designed the artwork and it was too late to make any changes. I know I've seen sales flyers for the original DK arcade game marked "copyright 1981" that explicitly refer to the character as Mario.

This isn't really a correction to anything that was said, just some additional background that might be of interest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's that time again: episode 13 of The Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast is available for your listening needs! Arcade vector graphics come to the Atari 7800 courtesy of the famous Bob DeCrescenzo!

http://fab4it.com/homebrew78/media/hbh_episode_013.mp3

Show notes at homebrew78.fab4it.com

Listened to this episode today, during a flight to Atlanta. Love all of the background info on the arcade game. Also like how you slipped in a few lyrics from The Smithereens "A Girl Like You", during TrekMD's feedback. I like the Smithereens. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Confession time: except for maybe a Beatles cover I heard on the radio, that was the first time I ever heard Smithereens. :) Interestingly, I met Dennis Diken a couple of times about fifteen years ago. (He's a FOAF.)

• Like 1

Listened to this episode today, during a flight to Atlanta. Love all of the background info on the arcade game. Also like how you slipped in a few lyrics from The Smithereens "A Girl Like You", during TrekMD's feedback. I like the Smithereens. :thumbsup:

Yep, that was cool. :)