IGNORED

The Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast

Dauber

Whoa...it's late Saturday morning and I totally forgot there's a new episode out. (And I'm the host. Seriously!?!?) But the Moon Cresta episode has dropped! An obscure arcade shoot-em-up gets the 7800 homebrew treatment from one of the system's most highly respected developers.

http://homebrew78.fab4it.com/media/hbh_episode_023.mp3

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 24 — Crystal Quest…or Bentley Bear’s Crystal Quest…or Crystal Quest featuring Bentley Bear…or whatever! — is out!

In this episode Sean takes an in-depth look at a recently-released, highly-anticipated sequel to Crystal Castles.

http://homebrew78.fab4it.com/media/hbh_episode_024.mp3

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everybody! Sorry I'm late (well, this is coming out 14 hours later than I would have liked it to!), but...here's episode 25 - Astro Blaster!

Sega/Gremlin (or is it Gremlin/Sega?) gets some love from Sean in this look at another Bob DeCrescenzo classic, a conversion of a fairly obscure arcade game.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I think you and I had the same thing as little kids. :)

There was a black box on top of our TV and had three buttons. To get HBO youd have to set the TV to channel 3 and press button B on the box. (I also discovered that if you set the TV to channel 8 and hit button A youd get channel 5, which was (and still is) NBC. Could you just watch channel 5? Sure, but what was the fun in that? My parents didnt want me doing that trick because they thought itd ruin the TV or the HBO box or something.)

I don't recall us having a box, but we had I think channel 7(unused station) was hard-set to HBO on our big 'ol Zenith console TV. I don't know how it worked. We didn't get regular cable + HBO until 85. I found out if you switched away from channel 3, and hit random channels on the cable box, you could get channels you didn't pay for, all free!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2018 can now start: episode 28 has been unearthed!

Today Sean takes on Bob DeCrescenzo's port of a Gremlin/Sega oldie in his Chicago non-basement (but alas found no Hulks). Ruthann the Beagle insisted on helping with the intro segment.

http://homebrew78.fab4it.com/media/hbh_episode_028.mp3

• 3 weeks later...

A (thankfully?) short episode this time! Don't like reading in the bathroom? Well, now with episode 29 you can use your Atari 7800 to separate the reading from the bathroom! (And yes, I know: New Mexico, not Texas. I was sick when I recorded that.)

http://homebrew78.fab4it.com/media/hbh_episode_029.mp3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, PFL! BTW, I realize in this episode the way I said something may come off as insensitive; I totally didn't mean it that way. (spoiler: when I was talking about Scammer Brawler) It's a pretty serious thing...I'll address that in the next episode.

• 2 weeks later...

So...I'm realizing that the Pac-Man Collection! Gigasode will be happening most likely sooner than later. Having said that, I have a poll on Facebook about this, but I know a lot of AA users don't use Facebook. So...I reach out to this thread.

The episode will likely be going well over three hours, possibly four. But I know that a lot of people have thresholds in terms of how long a podcast episode is. Most episodes of this podcast are an hour or less, so I just wanted to gather some thoughts.

Should I do this as one giant huge single-part episode, or break it up into smaller ones? I'm thinking I could get away with two parts, possibly three if absolutely necessary. The Facebook poll is too close to call!

• Like 1

Should I do this as one giant huge single-part episode, or break it up into smaller ones? I'm thinking I could get away with two parts, possibly three if absolutely necessary. The Facebook poll is too close to call!

I'm for whatever makes it easier on you to deliver us another episode. I enjoy each one. Thank you. :thumbsup:

I'd bust it into smaller ones. Some podcast apps have wonkiness with longer than 2 hours episodes(and no I'm not just saying that). I know POdcatcher can't do longer episodes if you want to ChromeCast it to the TV. If you release 3 episodes in a row, that works. Then one can pace themselves with the listening. Also, you can have cliffhangers and "previously on The Atari 7800...."

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post but I just had a thought.

Firstly, apologies if this suggestion causes you consternation or irritation. :)

I was thinking about your upcoming Pac-Man extravaganza and then your impending 7800 homebrew hiatus. Have you ever thought about doing a fully fledged Pac-Man podcast (a Pac-Cast, if you will :P)?

You and Inky seem to have a love for the wee yella fella and I feel like there is a ton of potential content if one takes into consideration things like merch, musicm the cartoons, spin off games, hacks, the whole Midway/GCC thang and, lately, hot gossip in the world of high scores.

I would love to listen to something like that but I don't have the know-how or confidence to create my own.

Just putting it out there. :)

• Like 1

HA! I once had an idea to do just an entire book geeking out over Pac-Man. Then I realized how deep that can go. That's why I have my Pac-Maniax blog. (address in sig) :) Although turning it into a podcast could be an idea...

• Like 2